How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-08-2006
Power to the 99%

^ I wouldn't say I'm very small, but I do think I can wear pegged slacks. I do have hips, so they can't be cigarette skinny all the way up (and honestly, that type of leg looks very unnatural and unwomanly to me ), but I don't think I can't participate in the trend ... I just need the right pair

23-08-2006
V.I.P.

I will try a lot of trends, but being borderline plus-size, I know that tunics, skinny jeans, and leggings will not suit me. Some people say that gauchos do not work on anyone except the ultra-skinny but I wear them because traditionally they are cropped, and I cannot wear long pants because I would then faint from overheating, even in 10 degree weather. And it works for the best because I have big calves, and wearing knee-length capris does wonders to make me look better.

23-08-2006
tfs star

Since when does "looking pregnant" or "looking like you gained weight" equal "looking bad"??

Looking pregnant would never be a reason not to wear something for me...(in fact I love wearing loose, swingy maternity wear )

I do take my body into account when I dress. But it's not so much aiming to make my body look the best it can be, but to make the overall outfit look well-balanced as a three-dimentional, hopefully evocative, creation.

The same outfit will have a completely different look and cultural meaning on different body-types, so you will not always get the final effect you want if you ignore your nature-given canvas.

23-08-2006
fashion icon

pict from anna Kournikova - amazon.com site

have this type of body. I'm 5.8 upper body size 6, lower body size 4. I have bigger more muscular shoulders and legs than her, but my hips are very small. My rib cage is bigger and my breast are bigger. I have done sports all my life. I'm very confident about my body,but.....it doesn't mean I can wear anything.
Now tell me - would you put me in that Chloe top? I'd look like a mountain.
I certainly can not wear volumes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anna-kournikova-naked-6_007.jpg (33.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: gif 361301.gif (44.9 KB, 2 views)

24-08-2006
windowshopping

For a couple of years, I have dressed to flatter my body as best as I could. But there are only certain clothes that could fully do that. For example, my uniform would be: A low cut tank under a cardigan, with tight jeans, usually with high heels, and so on (you know, the body-hugging classic pieces).

I have dressed like this for a couple of years and soon, I got very tired and bored of it, even if it made my body look fabulous. I think not only in fashion, but people generally get tired of something if they do it all the time. Pretty soon, I've started trying other things that weren't the most flattering in the world like birkenstocks, babydolls, flats...etc just because it was different and fresh from my years of fashion. I actually felt excited wearing the different shapes on my body, even if it sometimes doesnt show "me" off to my best.

I still buy stuff that looks good on me and fits my body, but I am also more willing to try new things and buy things that are "not sexy" that I would never have considered buying before. I think it is all about having fun and feeling comfortable in fashion. That's why I don't get victoria Beckham. I have no idea how she manages to keep the same style for 10 years (heels and tight everything) without getting bored of it.

24-08-2006
V.I.P.

I'm sorry, but girls who forgoe flattering their figures for fashion are insane!

I dress to look as tall and slim as humanly possible, not to look like a trendwhore.

I'm short and squat, so I'm aware of the limitations of my body. I dress to elongate, and because of that, people pften think I'm taller than I actually am. So, no skinny jeans, leggings or anything of that nature. I'd rather look the best I possibly can than wear fashionable clothes. And looking good NEVER goes out of style

And, LOL, I'm sorry, but gauchos don't look good on ANYONE!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodel citizen
I'm sorry, but girls who forgo flattering their figures for fashion are insane!

I dress to look as tall and slim as humanly possible, not to look like a trendwhore.

........ I'd rather look the best I possibly can than wear fashionable clothes. And looking good NEVER goes out of style
D*mn Straight!

I thought the world was going mad on me here- Karma for you!

V.I.P.

Karma for you too, for being sane as well!

V.I.P.

everyone that differs from me is so insane. i hate it!.

V.I.P.

I know that I sounded bitchy, but being a plus size, I'm very figure conscious.

V.I.P.

dont worry. i also tend to get my inner bitchy out on the streets every now and then. more now than then these days haha. but i see your point, my friends are pretty much like that, the idea of picking out an outfit without the smallest body consideration is unfathomable to them. but.. to each their own, i guess. :p

V.I.P.

I think it's all really subjective personally, you can wear some thing ill fitting or 'unflattering' but still look cool and sexy IMO. Personally I am more intrested in looking interesting than flattering my body. I'm not even really sure what flatters my body, but I like how I dress, and I think people who dress similare to my self look good, attractive, whatever

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris

I know my body very well and I'm my worst critic
I'd never wear cropped pants, no matter how fashionable they are. My calves are not perfect and I do not want to attract attention towards them.

and cropped pants makes everybody legs shorter.

I also do not understand the concept of the cropped pants - why they need to be cropped?
here is an example - the same perfect model in cropped and long jeans from Blaec.com
if you have less than perfect legs...then maybe YOU shouldn't wear cropped pants...

but that doesn't mean they look bad on everyone...
that statement is patently false..
*those jeans, however - are better long...
the length of the cropped ones is awkward...
but i bet the cropped ones would look alright with a deep cuff...

if you are talking aboout flattering one's figure...
then you HAVE to take the FIGURE into account..
and everyone's figure is different...
so it's hard to make sweeping statements like that one...

ditto for culottes aka gauchos...
we have a whole thread on them and there are plenty of pics of them looking really chic and stylish and even sexy...
chloe did them especially well....
**a good pair actually does wonders for disguising wide hips...
and erego- will flatter your figure a great deal...

again....balance is the key...that is all there is to it really....

24-08-2006
tfs star

now I am tall and thin, and contrary to popular belief I cannot wear everything. The most inportant things to me are comfort and fit. They have to suit my body shape - emphasising good parts and hiding bad parts (yes I do have some, who doesnt?). I love to follow trends too but I only buy things that I know are going to suit me and my body. There are somethings that come into fashion that do not suit anyone and then there are things that suit everyone. You just got to find out where in the spectrum you fit. If i like something and it suits me, then I but it. If it doesnt meet both of these it stays in the shop!

24-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litchickuk
now I am tall and thin, and contrary to popular belief I cannot wear everything. The most inportant things to me are comfort and fit. They have to suit my body shape - emphasising good parts and hiding bad parts (yes I do have some, who doesnt?). I love to follow trends too but I only buy things that I know are going to suit me and my body. There are somethings that come into fashion that do not suit anyone and then there are things that suit everyone. You just got to find out where in the spectrum you fit. If i like something and it suits me, then I but it. If it doesnt meet both of these it stays in the shop!
Exactly! I love some trends, I just have to be careful and make sure that the trend suits me. Like, skinny jeans are a no, but I do love masculine clothing (super tailored jackets ala Balenciaga). So instead of pairing it with skinny pants, I wear wide leg trousers.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
expense, fashion, figure