How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-08-2006
front row

It took me years to realize that it was far better to dress my body properly, than wear what was fashionable at the time. In fact, following trends blindly is what lead to a good 5 to 6 years of pictures I wish would just disappear.

There are plenty of styles today that I simply love, but could never pull off because of my short height, or my larger bust line. Of course I eye them lovingly in the store window.... but quickly remind myself that dressing my figure properly is far better than wearing something that even though I may love.... it's almost a guarantee hardly no one else would love it on me. lol

24-08-2006
V.I.P.

dressing according to your body's standards is not antonym of what's called 'dressing fashionable', in my very own case, it has absolutely nothing to do with that, it's not like i see bubble-everything and throw it on simply because bubble-everything is 'trendy'. I'm sure i'm not the only person who likes playing with shapes and different structures..i find it quite fun and i love the creative process that comes along. and that doesnt mean i go out dressed as an apple!.

V.I.P.

^^ No, I love different shapes and structures. I mean, my favorite designers are Viktor&Rolf and Balenciaga! But, if it makes ME look silly and dumpy, then I won't wear it. And I'm not against some trends. I LOVE bubble skirts and I think that they're flattering to my figure.

And like you, I'm all about balance too. If I wear a bubble skirt, I pair it with a more tailored top. It's just that personally, I want to make my body look as good as humanly possible (which is HARD )

I dunno, maybe it's all the "What Not To Wear" I watch!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof
dressing according to your body's standards is not antonym of what's called 'dressing fashionable'
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodel citizen
^^ No, I love different shapes and structures. I mean, my favorite designers are Viktor&Rolf and Balenciaga! But, if it makes ME look silly and dumpy, then I won't wear it.
Yeah Exactly- both very good points! Some trends can be made to work- if you take yourself into consideration.

And practice balance
IE: volume with fitted, patterns with solids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softgrey
if you are talking aboout flattering one's figure...
then you HAVE to take the FIGURE into account..
and everyone's figure is different...
And of course you're right softgrey! -- people with different body types look good in different kinds of things.
Though looks which obscure the waist I still cant stand on anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Peach
In fact, following trends blindly is what lead to a good 5 to 6 years of pictures I wish would just disappear.
That was my high school years. I look back, and feel like "God I just looked like a moron!" and I really thought I looked good at the time....

So now I try really really hard to not do trends which will look stupid in 5 yrs time. I try to wear clothes that look like... Clothes, and maybe some trends here or there mixed in.

(of course if I still want to try something really experimental, i just avoid getting my picture taken!:p)

flaunt the imperfection

[quote=P.Peach]In fact, following trends blindly is what lead to a good 5 to 6 years of pictures I wish would just disappear.
quote]

pictures like that are what keep me away from the paperbag waist trend...

*at least i am not repeating the mistakes of my youth...:p

24-08-2006
V.I.P.

I'm in high school right now so I'm reeealllly trying to avoid having embarrassing pictures! My freshman year pictures are bad enough, I don't want to look horrible for my senior year!

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodel citizen

I'm in high school right now so I'm reeealllly trying to avoid having embarrassing pictures! My freshman year pictures are bad enough, I don't want to look horrible for my senior year!
Please, for the love of god, take advantage of all of the immense wisdom you have around you and just avoid silly trends as a whole.

Let's see.... things I wore in highschool that completely blow my mind today:
- Baggy jeans. I mean baggy. I was never a really thin girl, and we all know that hiding in a potato sack doesn't make your figure look any better.

- Same goes for baggy t-shirts. Firstly, I believe it was a reaction to sprouting breasts at the speed of which the weeds take over my garden. Practically overnight. And secondly, music was something so many of us used to identify ourselves. I just foolishly plastered the band name across my chest in the form of a far too large t-shirt. Now I look back and think, "Gee, a sticker on one of my school folders really could have done the trick"

- Jeans with strange washes. Sure, they looked cool and everyone wore them, however I think I could have lived my life without ever highlighting my less than perfect thighs so well.

- Oh the horror of platform sneakers. I blame this on the Spice Girls.

Really, I could go on for quite some time, but then I'd be hijacking the thread. Either way... don't foolishly buy into something because a single other person on this earth of 6.5 billion people looked good in it.

Storm & Sommer

I don't really see the problem to be honest.. if we were having this conversation 10 years ago.. then yes.. there might be a dilemma.. but today were 'the seasons style' isn't just one but a multitude of different styles, and a greater acceptance of individuality..I don't see the expense or sacrifice..
You want to show of your bod ? wear something that hides your flaws ? accentuates your good points ? take your pick..it doesn't have to be either/or.

24-08-2006
V.I.P.

P.Peach, I'm trying! Everyone at my school wear super tight emo pants, leggings with jean skirts, or Hollister and A&F ripped jeans and tshirts, or even *shudder* pants and short shorts emblazoned with the brand name on the butt!

People always ask why I'm dressed up because I love a-line and bubble skirts, and well-cut jackets with heels, btu I'm just honestly trying to look the best I can.

Power to the 99%

Regarding cropped pants ... I'm wearing them right now. The issue I have is, I'm 5'4" and long-waisted. I'm also not petite--I want the regular rise. Often regular slacks are so long on me that by the time you chop them off to hem them, the shape is destroyed. So often I buy cropped because I can wear them without alteration :p and often they're just the right length to show off the details of my shoes. Paired with heels, I find them flattering.

24-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_bubble
I wear things that yes, may not be the most flattering things in the world but pleases me in an entirely different way altogether - it could be a certain aesthetic that I'm going for, or something that has inspired me.
I completely agree with that. What I wear may not exactly be the best / most flattering but it doesn't mean it has to be at the other extreme of being totally ugly and ill-fitting. It's a matter of balancing IMO. I'm one of those people who takes one look at an item or try it on and immediatly know if I like it or not. Some friends of mine on the others takes yonks to decide if they like a specific item or feel comfortable in it. At the end of the day, it stil comes down to each individual. There are few fashion rules that you apply across the board.

24-08-2006
illustrator

i have no fashion rules of what i will or won't wear. and i choose clothes based on the clothes and their design. if i love an empire-waist top, i don't think of how it will make me look, i just think "that is gorgeous and i want to own/wear it and share it with my fellow people watchers" (you know who you are!). if i love an item, i'm comfortable in it, and then i forget that i'm wearing it (which can be funny if it's something with a touch of drama to it because then i wonder why people are staring at me and then i look down and see a gigantic mesh bow and think... could it be...?). i don't walk around worrying if some stranger thinks i'm pregnant - if it means a seat on the subway though - yippee. what i would feel awful about is being boring, or blah, or neutral or anything along those lines. my clothes have to stimulate me, even if it's in a tiny detail that only i'm aware of... or with a big impact. it's all good.

V.I.P.

most people in the world are quick to judge

--If your cool floaty dress makes your hips look gargantuon- well people don't know that they arent. They just assume you're fat.
--If you're trendy ankle boot /skirt combo makes your legs look stumpy- well people just assume they are.

What other people see is, to them- what you really are.They do not know and can't read your mind
They may pick up on your cool girl rocker vibe-

but they'll still think you're a cool girl rocker with fat hips and stumpy legs
and I cannot comprehend why anyone would want to give that impression

V.I.P.

^^

Harsh, yet oh so true!

I'm not a big fan of absolutes, but theoretically, I mean, would you rather look short, fat and oh-so fashion foward or tall, slender and sort of boring?

Last edited by xmodel citizen; 26-08-2006 at 02:09 AM.
26-08-2006
V.I.P.

^It's very dismissive to say that by wearing ankle boots and a skirt, that you are automatically going to look like you have stumpy legs.

It may not be about looking fashion forward for a lot of people but that they JUST want to wear what makes them feel good - by feeling good, it doesn't mean making their body as good as possible. I personally hate drawing attention to my body - hence why I don't just wear a uniform of stilettos, jeans and a cute little top - in fact, the outfit just makes me shudder just thinking about it. If a body-flattering outfit like that is making me come out in hives just thinking about it - how is that a better alternative?

'Tall, slender, kinda boring' - yes, again this is something that doesn't appeal to me at all. My outfits and the way I put together clothes are an extention of my personality and if I were to compensate that just to look slimmer or taller, I would be conveying a different identity, like pretending to be someone that i'm not.

I think we all have to accept that people have DIFFERENT priorities and objectives when putting together an outfit. Attracting the opposite sex, making girls look at me and be jealous that i have a great bod and thinking to myself that I have a great bod are NOT on my agenda and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
expense, fashion, figure