How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-08-2006
V.I.P.

Fashion: at the expense of your figure?
When I get dressed, I do so with several priorities

1. to flatter my body/ shape and make myself look as attractive as possible
2. to be appropriate for the occasion IE: no prom dress for grocery shopping, no pink at a funeral, dress up a bit for weddings and things
3. to be a bit fashionable.

It wasn't until after being a member of this website that I realized that - to my surprise- other people feel that being fashionable was more important than flattering their body or figure.

And some people seem to feel that if they are tall/thin enough they don't have to worry about wearing flattering stuff as long as they are ahead of the trends ect.. But I beg to differ. Some things look good on no
one

So where do you stand? Are there some looks you say "no way!" and pass them up because you know they'll make you look bad?

Or will you try anything once, and not care what anyone thinks?

22-08-2006
rising star

this is a good topic! i've thought about the same thing.

i'm short - 5'3 - and there are things i love dearly, but cannot wear. for instance, i've wanted a pair of comfy lounging gauchos for ages, but they just don't look right on me.

so i won't wear something i don't like just because it looks good on my body, but i probably won't wear something i love if it looks terrible on me.

rising star

Ill fitting clothing doesn't look fashionable.

Do tfs-ers really think that? I hadn't come to that conclusion so far..

22-08-2006
V.I.P.

Well, i think the line 'some things look good on no one' is quite questionable . for instance, i would say this is hedious on absolutely everyone but i'm sure there are a few members in this forum who'll disagree and agree more that this is completely unthinkable to flatter the figure while i think it's pretty fantastic in all aspects. the whole concept of a good-looking figure, wearable, flattering and attractive is pretty much a matter of taste and the good ol' 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder'. which also speaks for what/who are you trying to attract.
that's just my point of view. hmm.

even if i try not to, i guess being a girl [or just human], i cant ignore the body factor but it doesnt really dominate me when i'm going to buy a piece of clothing, i know what my weak areas are and I know what parts i dont mind showing but it's all sub-conscious actually...I could never specify although I know i love short things rather than tight things..but again!, i wouldnt mind wearing something tight if it's in the right proportion. i dont make enough sense..i know what my big no's are but as mentioned previously, most of the time it has little to do with body image rather than what i consider to be bad taste/tacky/awful/whatever.

Last edited by MulletProof; 22-08-2006 at 09:24 PM.
22-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn
Do tfs-ers really think that? I hadn't come to that conclusion so far..
and you shouldnt. tfs-ers come from all walks of life and from around the world.
generalisations are pretty bad, especially in fashion.

fashion icon

1. to flatter my body/ shape and make myself look as attractive as possible
2. to be appropriate for the occasion IE: no prom dress for grocery shopping, no pink at a funeral, dress up a bit for weddings and things
3. to be a bit fashionable.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!! That's me!
I'd add - weather appropriate clothing

I know my body very well and I'm my worst critic
I'd never wear cropped pants, no matter how fashionable they are. My calves are not perfect and I do not want to attract attention towards them.

and cropped pants makes everybody legs shorter.
I also do not understand the concept of the cropped pants - why they need to be cropped?
here is an example - the same perfect model in cropped and long jeans from Blaec.com

another example this Chloe /net a porter/ is beautiful - but makes me look pregnant? why wear it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fr.jpg (9.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg rr-ciggy-valium.jpg (30.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rr-diamond-skull-jns.jpg (30.8 KB, 3 views)

23-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris

another example this Chloe /net a porter/ is beautiful - but makes me look pregnant? why wear it?
thats the kind of thing I'm talking about- it'd make anyone look pregnant, but some people would deny that or wear it regardless

flaunt the imperfection

i think that it's really insecure people that feel the need to show off their bodies...

if you know you are not fat or pregnant...
then you don't worry about looking fat or pregnant......
if you are confident with your body-
you really don't need to prove it to anyone, do you?...

at least i don't feel the need to...
and i certainly do not feel the need to 'parade' my body in public...

for what purpose....?
to get attention?...
i don't get it...that's not the kind of attention i'm looking for......
i would never be comfortable wearing pants/jeans that say-'hey-look at my a**!!!'...enough people are already looking at my a**-thank you very much!...i don't need to point it out to them...

and quite frankly...i think i manage to pull off some pretty voluminous stuff pretty well...it's all a matter of balance...

and as mullet said---it's all really a matter of personal taste and preference...
i mean...there are a lot of people out there that think that paris hilton looks good and is 'da bomb'...
so -go figure......

people like what they like and are comfortable in what they are comfortable in...
and some people really don't give a fig about fashion...
and that's alright...

but there are, of course, those people that just make you wonder...
'do you OWN a mirror?'...

:p

i think what is most painful to me is when i see really really beautiful high end designer clothing being worn badly...and that usually means that the proportions/shapes/lengths are off somehow...
it's actually painful for me to look at something like that...
whether is is tight or loose..

23-08-2006
Power to the 99%

I certainly don't wear anything that I believe makes me look bad, though there are probably always naysayers who would disagree :p But I do wear some "challenging" pieces ... pieces I have to play with, to style, to figure out how to best wear them so that they work for me.

It's not that being fashionable is my priority ... it's that doing what I want to do with my clothes is more important to me than any traditional/mainstream/conventional idea of "beauty." When I get finished, I believe I look good ... and that's what's important. Ironically, if you have enough confidence, people will line up to agree that you're pulling it off

There's a lot of rebellion inherent in wearing clothes that some believe are ugly. I have had new clothes mistaken for vintage ... some people found it a good thing, some a bad thing ... I personally like the entertainment factor of people's reactions to what I'm wearing, whether it's a "Give Racism the Boot" T-shirt, a vintage-inspired jacket, or a vintage Lucite bag (which a surprising number of people mistook for a kettle no, I am not kidding ...)

There are a lot of traditional expectations of girls and women, and wearing unconventional, "unpretty" clothes sticks it to those expectations without your ever having to lift a finger :p

Make sense?

23-08-2006
V.I.P.

I'm sorry to say but wearing things that flatter my body is the least of my priorities and if it is for the sake of fashion, then so be it. If I was to wear something that flattered my body everyday, I'd be wearing boot-cut jeans and a nice fitting cardigan.... which frankly does not interest me in the least. I wear things that yes, may not be the most flattering things in the world but pleases me in an entirely different way altogether - it could be a certain aesthetic that I'm going for, or something that has inspired me. Wearing something to flatter the body soley makes a lot of people feel good about themselves and perhaps they even dig the attention/compliments people pay them. But for me, wearing clothes I LOVE makes me feel good and giddy, even. These clothes aren't necessarily things that are all that flattering and people will say they're damnright hideous but if I feel fab in them, who gives?

I'm a big optimist and believer in making seemingly 'ugly' things work because there's value in most things - it has how you wear it. I'm also perhaps somewhat of an explorer when it comes to fashion because I revel in the variety and scope that fashion has. All the better when I pull of a look and if I don't, well at least I tried! It's not something that a lot of people agree with me about and I'm cool with that too.

IMO, a lot of people could do with letting go of the fear factor when it comes to fashion and perhaps have a bit more fun with it instead of worrying to death about whether their *** looks great in a pair of trousers.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/

Last edited by susie_bubble; 23-08-2006 at 12:08 PM.
23-08-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
i think that it's really insecure people that feel the need to show off their bodies...

if you are confident with your body-
you really don't need to prove it to anyone, do you?...

at least i don't feel the need to...
and i certainly do not feel the need to 'parade' my body in public...

for what purpose....?
to get attention?...
i don't get it...that's not the kind of attention i'm looking for......
i would never be comfortable wearing pants/jeans that say-'hey-look at my a**!!!'...enough people are already looking at my a**-thank you very much!...i don't need to point it out to them...
I can't agree more!

unknown
23-08-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_bubble
I'm sorry to say but wearing things that flatter my body is the least of my priorities and if it is for the sake of fashion, then so be it. If I was to wear something that flattered my body everyday, I'd be wearing boot-cut jeans and a nice fitting cardigan.... which frankly does not interest me in the least. I wear things that yes, may not be the most flattering things in the world but pleases me in an entirely different way altogether - it could be a certain aesthetic that I'm going for, or something that has inspired me. Wearing something to flatter the body soley makes a lot of people feel good about themselves and perhaps they even dig the attention/compliments people pay them. But for me, wearing clothes I LOVE makes me feel good and giddy, even. These clothes aren't necessarily things that are all that flattering and people will say they're damnright hideous but if I feel fab in them, who gives?

I'm a big optimist and believer in making seemingly 'ugly' things work because there's value in most things - it has how you wear it. I'm also perhaps somewhat of an explorer when it comes to fashion because I revel in the variety and scope that fashion has. All the better when I pull of a look and if I don't, well at least I tried! It's not something that a lot of people agree with me about and I'm cool with that too.

IMO, a lot of people could do with letting go of the fear factor when it comes to fashion and perhaps have a bit more fun with it instead of worrying to death about whether their *** looks great in a pair of trousers.
But then, you are 5'7, size 6 (i guess) and a girl in her early 20's, you don't have to worry about your body looking bad at all..... everything you wear will truely look good.

unknown
23-08-2006
V.I.P.

^Do you mean US6? Coz that's not THAT small.

I can honestly say I'd have the same attitude if I was a larger size....... I actually don't have that much body confidence. Especially coming from a place like Hong Kong where everyone has a 22 inch waist (!) In fact, I'm considered quite big over there.......
Relatives have commented that I should wear things that flatter my body more.... but I prefer to listen to my own style instincts and if they point to an 'unflattering' puffy skirt, f it, I'm wearing it!

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
23-08-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
but I've seen girls who- on monday looked really great, and then on tuesday, look as though they gained weight, and overnight went through six months of pregnancy

and I just want to shake them! Why look so bad when you are capable of looking so good?

Sometimes, if done intentionally, the whole "ugly is pretty" thing does work.
It works on very thin people, who REALLY know what they are doing. It's difficult to pull off, but some people do it well

What irks me is the people who just seem oblivious either way...

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I'm 5'4... fairly small frame, but athletic... I know that I can't wear:

Skinny pants
Gauchos (thankfully, though)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
expense, fashion, figure