How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-12-2005
tfs star

Fashion Faux Pas - Past and Present
I couldn't find an existing thread for this.. mods, pls merge if thats not the case

What do you consider a fashion faux pas? Which ones do you cringe at or indulge in? Maybe even ones from the past that you don't mind revealing to your TFS family? Hey, if you have old photos you've cleverly hidden, you can always post them here and reminisce with us

Do you think there is such a thing as fashion faux pas nowadays, if you style it well?

So to start things off, here are some of mine: When I was little, I had a studded denim jacket and a denim shirt buttoned up the collar. Lets just say I have an aversion to anything denim that aren't jeans now. Also, Shirley Temple hair that my mum tricked me into.

22-12-2005
trendsetter

wearing a micro mini to an office do...remember this is India and men stare and stare and stare:p

V.I.P.

in sixth grade, I thought that blue jeans really ought to be only worn with blue, so they would match- and black jeans with black- Now I never wear anything blue with jeans- and i don't wear black denim

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilettogirl84
in sixth grade, I thought that blue jeans really ought to be only worn with blue, so they would match- and black jeans with black- Now I never wear anything blue with jeans- and i don't wear black denim
OMG! Im the same way, I dont wear blue with jeans, unless it's offset by another color. And black jeans, is it 1995 again?

24-12-2005
backstage pass

Hm, well I wear black jeans (They don't have that horrible white undertone, they are totally blackest black), and I will wear blue with blue jeans (not that I would go out of my way to, but I'll wear just about any color with blue jeans). I dunno if it counts as one of my faux-pas

I think I probably have very many... but do I even know them?

24-12-2005
backstage pass

The skirt attached to the pants, look.

I rocked that in 4th grade.

God, it was hidieous.

24-12-2005
tfs star

oh man i did the whole Oversized sweatshirt with leggings thing in 3rd grade...Kids today seem so much savvier..or maybe it's always been that way in hindsight..

24-12-2005
tfs star

oh frock, i did that too!

24-12-2005
tfs star

i share your pain then...

25-12-2005
fashion icon

I wear black jeans...i don't really consider it a faux pas.

But one generally accepted "faux pas" (see the matching denim with denim thread; I'm actually scared to go in there with my own input ) that I wear sometimes is the denim jacket with jeans look...i don't mind it, i think i carry it reasonably well. Blah, why should we have rules anyway!

26-12-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrockRadar8
oh man i did the whole Oversized sweatshirt with leggings thing in 3rd grade.
Oh my gosh! Me too. The oversize sweatshirt, leggings, and socks pulled over the leggings... the 80's... boy oh boy. But if we were to name off all the bad clothing we had as kids the list would go on.

Quote:
Kids today seem so much savvier..or maybe it's always been that way in hindsight..
I think kids today are much savvier. But we have to look at the time they're growing up.. a lot of us grew up in the 80's or the early 90's, a time where people may say fashion wasn't the greatest. Today... there is such a growing emphasis on looking good... it reminds me of the Sex and the City episode, where Carrie, Sam, Charlotte and Miranda encounter these 13 year-old girls, one of whom Sam was doing the booking for her birthday party or something. The girls were nothing like what the 4 main characters of SATC were like when they were younger... it seems that kids are growing up so fast today, fashion-wise AND etc.-wise.

26-12-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
oh man i did the whole Oversized sweatshirt with leggings thing in 3rd grade.
Oh my gosh! Me too. The oversize sweatshirt, leggings, and socks pulled over the leggings... the 80's... boy oh boy. But if we were to name off all the bad clothing we had as kids the list would go on.

Quote:
Kids today seem so much savvier..or maybe it's always been that way in hindsight..
I think kids today are much savvier. But we have to look at the time they're growing up.. a lot of us grew up in the 80's or the early 90's, a time where people may say fashion wasn't the greatest. Today... there is such a growing emphasis on looking good... it reminds me of the Sex and the City episode, where Carrie, Sam, Charlotte and Miranda encounter these 13 year-old girls, one of whom Sam was doing the booking for her birthday party or something. The girls were nothing like what the 4 main characters of SATC were like when they were younger... it seems that kids are growing up so fast today, fashion-wise AND etc.-wise.

26-12-2005
follow the lights

^ It is a bad thing to grow up too fast (fashion-wise)?

26-12-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarryMeTomFord
wearing a micro mini to an office do...remember this is India :p
I think that this is a faux pas at all times and in all places .

Yeah mine are from the 80's too. Big,layered,curly hair,overly bright clashing colours (royal blue top,preferably with shoulder pands,waist cinched by thick plastic bright yellow belt,yellow pencil skirt,royal blue shoes,big yellow plastic earrings...that kind of thing.

Long skirts that had slits on each side and a hook with which you hooked up one side...please tell me someone else remembers hook-up skirts...

The stirrup pants,big shirt look...

Neon tights under black fishnets with neon legwarmers and ankle boots...oh wait,I still see girls pulling that one...

I was in junior school at the height of "Dallas" fever. We had to wear school uniform,but one day we had a casual day and my friends and I agreed to go dressed like Lucy and Pamela Ewing....Cowboy hats,white shirts,blue jeans tucked into cowboy boots.... We were quite a hit,too ...

26-12-2005
tfs star

i don't think those kids are really growing up fashionwise.. just emulating. there are little 10 yr old kids baring the midriffs in tiny tank tops etc..

there was a thread with an article on this called "ten going on sixteen"

i wonder if, when they grow older, they'll realize...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, faux, pas, past, present