How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-10-2005
fashion insider

[QUOTE=Hanne]a mermaid dress or skirt is like a tight dress that is tight atleast to the knees then widening after that.
/QUOTE]

Thanks Hanne! For some reason, I always thought that a mermaid dress is, like you said, tight to the knees, but widening only on the backside, similar to a train but definitely more "pulled-in"..Thanks!

13-10-2005
rising star

Fashion Terms
I'm sorry, I couldn't find a thread like this so if there is already one could someone give me the link? And if not....

I always get confused with terms. Does anyone know of any online directory of fashion terms? Or do people want to just post them in here?

First I get confused about the terms of collections. Ready to Wear for example, how is that different than Women's Wear? Also I have seen some Sports Wear collections that are not sweatpants and exercise clothing, why is that?

what are gauchos? and what is a puffball skirt?

Anyone have any other terms they don't know? I have dozens but this is all I can remember right now...

13-10-2005
V.I.P.

I think you'll find this thread useful:

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ad.php?t=24264

Welcome to tFS

13-10-2005
rising star

hey thank you, that is really weird. I searched for the word "terms" using the title search in the advanced options and that thread never came up. It is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

13-10-2005
V.I.P.

No problem I'll merge

13-10-2005
rising star

I went through this whole thread and have come up with more things to add to my above post

What exactly is a cocktail dress? And what constitutes a gown? I mean, I know the word gown but is there an actual definition for it or is it just a fancy dress? Also I'd like to know exactly what a Cruise or Resort line is. I know they are the same thing but noone defined what they were.

13-10-2005
V.I.P.

Sorry rockitgirl I merged the thread and neglected to answer the question

Anyhow, here's a thread in trendspotting on puffball skirts so you can get visuals:

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...light=puffball

And another couple on gauchos:

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ghlight=gaucho
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ghlight=gaucho

And I believe a cocktail dress means knee to tee length where a gown is floorlength. Both relatively fancy. Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong

I'll have to let someone else answer the question about resort/cruise collections. I believe it's just a way for a designer to further develop a concept or preview what might be coming, but I'm not 100%.

Hope this helps

14-10-2005
spoilt victorian child

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitgirl
Also I'd like to know exactly what a Cruise or Resort line is. I know they are the same thing but noone defined what they were.
There's a good explanation of this by metal-on-metal here: http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...367#post664367

V.I.P.

Excellent Droogist Thanks!

14-10-2005
rising star

thanks! I thought it was a type of clothing but really it just relates to WHEN they are shown.

Can anyone answer the other couple terms I posted before:

First I get confused about the terms of collections. Ready to Wear for example, how is that different than Women's Wear? Also I have seen some Sports Wear collections that are not sweatpants and exercise clothing, why is that?

Thanks!

15-10-2005
flaunt the imperfection

PAPERBAG WAIST

A very loose and large waistline that when cinched with a belt gives the appearance of a paper bag that has been gathered at the top.

15-10-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitgirl
thanks! I thought it was a type of clothing but really it just relates to WHEN they are shown.

Can anyone answer the other couple terms I posted before:

Thanks!
Ready to Wear is in contrast to haute couture, which is made for the individual & requires multiple fittings & often features elaborate technique--beading, feathers, embroidery, etc. Ready to Wear is exactly that--similar to ready to eat. You could wear it out of the store if you wanted to. It's different from Women's Wear in that it's a broader category including men's wear.

Sportswear is an older term that refers to casual, informal clothes. If you put yourself in a 1950s frame of mind, it may start to make sense In fact some of the clothes bought in this dept are considered dressy by many people today. Times they have changed! Not many people dress for dinner today.

15-10-2005
flaunt the imperfection

lots and lots of stuff here...
http://www.alrashidmall.com/clothing.htm

15-10-2005
rising star

Okay your definition of sports wear makes sense to me. I've been really confused by what they label sportswear...thinking to myself "I wear stuff like that to the club sometimes...wtf?" lol

Also softgrey that is a FANTASTIC link, thank you so much!

27-10-2005
fashion insider

What exactly is a petticoat? As in, "You tear away my gossamer petticoats and put your schooner deep inside my Rebecca.."

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abbreviations, fashion, terms or terminology