How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-11-2005
tfs star

Here's a few terms I still cant seem to distinguish..
Whats the difference between Design Director, Creative Director & plain old designer??
Like, didnt Tom Ford carry both Design & Creative Director titles at Gucci while Christopher Bailey served as Designer under Tom Ford??
Who does what??

02-11-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitgirl
Okay your definition of sports wear makes sense to me. I've been really confused by what they label sportswear...thinking to myself "I wear stuff like that to the club sometimes...wtf?" lol

Also softgrey that is a FANTASTIC link, thank you so much!
you're welcome...

and i am pretty sure that jude is wearing a leather jacket guys...

trophy-it's different at different companies...

but ...
a design director is usually in charge of the design team and directs the feel and style of the collection/collections...

a creative director has control over the design director and the design team and also guides the marketing and overall image of the company...

creative director is a more encompassing role...basically...

02-11-2005
tfs star

Thanks Softgrey...In this case, it seems like the Artistic/Design Director are more like stylists...I could be wrong, but that's a different thread altogether.

Thanks!

And you're right--I do think Mr. Law's coat is just leather.

Last edited by eugenius; 02-11-2005 at 12:30 PM.
09-11-2005
rising star

Junior vs Misses vs Women's sizing
I was wondering if anyone could clue me into this. I had never heard of Juniors or Misses until I started buying clothing on eBay but on eBay it doesn't seem like there is much difference between the two. Does anyone know the actual definitions of these terms and why they are listed as separate categories? Do they have anything to do with the body shape? I notice that a lot of urban brands get listed in Juniors or Misses but they are made in adult sizes so it confuses me.

10-11-2005
windowshopping

Juniors sizes are techinically the odd sizes, such as 1, 3, 5, etc., and womens are 2, 4, 6, etc. Womens sizes are usually larger than juniors.

10-11-2005
front row

And us in-betweens weep for lack of even ONE pair of decent fitting pants...

IE...juniors sizes run too small in the legs and too big in the hips for me and misses WAY too big in the butt and thigh, generally. I used to be a bigger girl, and i thought once i lost some weight it would make it easier to buy clothes..but noooo. it can't be that easy.

I HATE VANITY SIZING. I don't know WHAT size I wear anymore. Anywhere from a 3-7 in the juniors dep. and 0-4 in misses (i guess that's what brands like gap, express..etc are.) I'm 5'5 and 117 lbs. I feel like I have a right to wear a 4 at the most in todays standards...and i fit the pattern for a 6.

I guess it reall depends on the brand/cut or the clothing.

And don't get me started on shirts. I have a long torso, big ribs, a small bust and long arms. Buying shirts/jackets is almost as difficult as buying pants.

Em

10-11-2005
rising star

thanks for this info, it is helpful and I am understanding a bit better. From what I can gather the Junior sizes are those odd sizes like you said and are also a different shape...less butt, less hips, etc whereas the womens or misses are even sizes and are more for a full figured, bigger butt/hips/whatever shape. Would that be right?

11-11-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitgirl
thanks for this info, it is helpful and I am understanding a bit better. From what I can gather the Junior sizes are those odd sizes like you said and are also a different shape...less butt, less hips, etc whereas the womens or misses are even sizes and are more for a full figured, bigger butt/hips/whatever shape. Would that be right?
Yep, that's correct.

16-01-2006
V.I.P.

A 'mac' as in a jacket or coat? Does the term imply certain features? Thanks

16-01-2006
slightly dizzy

Afaik, a Mac is a raincoat. The first fully waterproof raincoat was the Macintosh in the 1800s, that's where the name comes from.

17-01-2006
V.I.P.

Ah... I see. Thanks for the explanation Tott

24-01-2006
fashion icon

It's funny that I found this topic today; I was with a friend today and she complimented me on my outfit. I said to her "oh I've completed a total fashion faus paux (sp?) and she stopped me (we were walking) and she said "I"m sorry repeat that again?" and I said it again, and she said "oh shut up! you're makin up words now. WHat is that french?". It was quite funny.

dlg

24-01-2006
V.I.P.

^ I had someone ask me what "bonjour" meant the other day

btw - faux pas

24-01-2006
front row

is this the right place to ask about pronounciations?

it may sound silly, but i always struggle over 'Lanvin' with correct french pronounciation - phonetically is it 'lon-vahn'?

(feel a bit silly)

24-01-2006
V.I.P.

You actually want this thread fash ho' I'm afraid I can't answer your question with certainty See... you're not the only one!

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...=pronunciation

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abbreviations, fashion, terms or terminology