How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-11-2005
V.I.P.

i'd need a novel for all of the terrible things that happen to my stuff... and it almost always happens the first time i wear them out... but that i can think of...

was in the gate area waiting for flight and just about to sit down... had huge duffle on shoulder and handbag in the crook of other arm and was holding a SCALDING hot cup of coffee while trying to set the two things down when my duffle slides from my shoulder and PLOPS on the ground, sending my scalding hot cup of coffee all over my new black loro piana sweater... semiburning my wrist in the process. then i ran to the bathroom and tried to squeeze and soak out all of the coffee... and of course i had no idea what i was doing, so now it's stuffed in the back of my closet.

went out for lunch once and bought a box of macaroons... was on my way to blockbuster afterwards and helped myself to one of them when i stopped in the parking lot. forgetting that my fingers were sticky from macaroon filling, i reached over for my lilac lambskin chanel 2.55 and made a giant thumbprint on it. first time i wore it out as well... and the print is still there.

wore my big, ivory cashmere LV stole out once for the first time and spilled coffee on it as well.

wore my favorite black leather manolo pointed toe pumps out not too long ago... it started raining randomly (ah parisian weather...) and i tried to find the nearest bus to take me home... waited on the wrong side of the street, and SPRINTED across to catch the bus that just arrived on the other side.. and as i was sprinting in my heels, i sliiiiiiid and completely ruined the sole and toe of the shoe.. and now that's stuffed in the corner of my bedroom.

01-11-2005
Power to the 99%

Ohhhhh ...

Your shoe tragedy reminded me of one of mine from years ago. I had this really gorgeous pair of Joan & David tobacco polished leather flats. Not patent, but glossy. Remember how shoe leather used to be a lot more beautiful than it is now? Hard to describe the shape, except that they reminded me of a pair of slippers my father had had. They were beautiful. So one day I was walking across an icy parking lot, fell, and the asphalt made this horrible SCRAPE across the top of one of the shoes. There was no recovery from it ....

02-11-2005
....ITMFA....

So Saturday I went to a club with a few friends....wore one of my favorite bracelets - multiple strands of silver with a strand of rhinestones, a jeweled magnetic clasp with a fringe of the silver and rhinestones. I'm not sure how to exactly describe it, but it's very art deco looking. Anyways, TWICE while I'm dancing something on the ground catches my eye...it's my bracelet. So it had fell off twice already without my even noticing...So when it fell off for the third time it was lost for good. I know I should have put it away after the first or second time, but I guess I just wasn't thinking. It was just Kenneth Cole, nothing expensive, but it was so unique...sniff sniff. The good thing is that during the same night I had lost two of my friends driver's licenses, one friend's money and my car key (I was the only one with a purse), but we found the two licenses and the car key.

03-11-2005
Power to the 99%

Some of you may remember how I lost a stone out of my Hollywould Nadia ballets and sent them back the beginning of October. Well, I got them back toward the end of the month, and wore them again for the first time today. I was running a few errands on my way to work, and as I arrived at my first errand, I looked down at the floorboard of the car (which is a pale beige) and darned if the stone isn't out of the shoe and on the floorboard!!! At least I *have* the stone this time ... let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

03-11-2005
tfs star

Oh Ta-ta how annoying!! My delicate Charles Jourdans kept falling apart after each use, had to get them fixed twice...but they did it for free each time, which was good. I'm sorry I don't have any good ideas for you...do you have a photo?

This thread is GOOD...it's like group therapy...good to know I'm not alone.:p Some of the stories break my heart...

I'm so bad with burning my clothes...it's all because I'm such a coldy-cat and get too close to the fire... I've lost too many sweaters, jackets and skirts that way...

The worst was when I lost my gorgeous long wool skirt with unique pleating. It had been my wardrobe cornerstone for years, supporting me through some of the most important events of my life...until the hem caught fire by the stove...I had to make it a knee-lenght skirt, losing all of the intricate and unique pleating.

04-11-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
Some of you may remember how I lost a stone out of my Hollywould Nadia ballets and sent them back the beginning of October. Well, I got them back toward the end of the month, and wore them again for the first time today. I was running a few errands on my way to work, and as I arrived at my first errand, I looked down at the floorboard of the car (which is a pale beige) and darned if the stone isn't out of the shoe and on the floorboard!!! At least I *have* the stone this time ... let me know if you guys have any suggestions.
return the pieces of crap and demand your money back???...

04-11-2005
front row

My mom gave me this beautiful, heavy, solid silver bar necklace that was original given to her by my beloved, deceased uncle. I lost in in my move from NYC to Europe. I'm still not over it.

04-11-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
return the pieces of crap and demand your money back???...
I definitely considered it ...

I will definitely think about this experience when buying shoes in the future ... I have those ones with coral clusters (not Hollywould), and I did lose a few branches (I have them if I want to put them back), but the nice thing about those is you can do that & no one's the wiser. Same thing with black ballets with clusters of "jet" beads ... I have replaced the ones I found, but they're still wearable with some missing. These if you lose a stone you can't wear them ...

So I called them & they suggested what I had thought of, replace the entire ornament, which has never been right (it rattles & the other one doesn't). So now I get to pay shipping again & wait another month ...

Melisande, yes, it's the shoe in the lower right corner here (ilovehollywould.com):

What a bummer about your skirt I find replacing pieces you've depended on like that, even (especially?) when they are more basic, to be the most elusive thing ... I can't figure out whether it's just impossible, or I don't have the patience for it

Maybe you need some kind of fire screen

04-11-2005
scenester

I don't have too many fashion tragedies yet, but my mother dropped her custom made suede and fur bag (that costs thousands of dollars) in a lake once. Thanks goodness she had another one similar to it, but that was pretty upsetting to watch. I was about seven and I cried. It wasn't even my bag. It was just upsetting to see such a wonderful piece of fashion destroyed...tragic, right?

04-11-2005
backstage pass

I bought a wonderful pair of pink and grey flats that were just so ME over them summer. Somehow I managed to lose them while I was moving to a new apartment. I think that I accidentally threw them in the dumpster along with the rest of my trash. I never got to wear them or anything . I'm still not over it.

14-11-2005
flaunt the imperfection

oh velouria...
that happened to me with a whole bunch of shoes...
i think the movers thought it was trash because i just put all the boxes in a big black trash bag to move them......

some of my fave ankle booties and some armani flats (never worn)...
i don't even want to think about the rest...
brown mock croc slingbacks (joan and david) flats and pumps...
oh...so tragic...
and the most disgusting part is that i have so many freaking shoes that it was months before i realized the mistake...
far too late to do anything about it...

oh..i had forgetten all about that...that was really tragic...

**on another note...
i am having second thoughts about the crochet doily on the scarf...
i just feel like it limits my options to 'granny' or 'governess'...
and that doesn't sit well with me...

so i am still looking for the perfect and VERSATILE solution...
i tried blk lace trim..but then it goes awfully GOTH....
i have two navy coats i'd like to wear it with...
so that is part of the dilemma...
one is sporty and masculine and the other quite gothic and tailored...

hmmm...

i'm open to suggestions...

14-11-2005
slightly dizzy

Softie, maybe you could make new ends on the scarf, sort of?

If you can find matching (or non-matching) yarn that fit in, you could sort of stitch/embroider over the entire ends and make it seem like it's part of the design? Maybe add a fringe, sort of make it like the ends of a persian rug?

I don't make myself clear here, but you could mask it by altering it instead of covering it up, sort of.

14-11-2005
crossed wires.

perhaps cut some felt shapes and make a slightly 3D 'surface decoration' covering the place it's damaged soft? With a bit of decorative stitching/plain stitch in a 'fancy' thread as an 'interior border' on the shapes. to add a bit of interest.

V.I.P.

^ Both good ideas. Are the originally stated pom-poms out of the question? Does that take away the gothic option? And are the holes so large that you can't just stitch them up? I've done this before and while I could tell, no one else could... After saying this, I picture you saying... "but, Curious, God is in the details dear"

My latest tragedy - I can't find the hematite circle earrings my mother made me Where's the big baby wailing smilie?? It makes it so much worse when somebody you loved crafted them. And I'm still smarting over a wooden ring a best girlfriend gave me that I've "misplaced". Still hoping either of these two might show up one day...

Last edited by Curious; 14-11-2005 at 03:36 PM.
14-11-2005
crossed wires.

I did a quick sketch...to 'visually' explain. (sad I know) Something a bit organic but not 'flowery girly' or twee quite fresh.
The pen shouldn't be darker where it's darker...it doesn't mean anything different just my sketchyness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg softscarf.jpg (96.6 KB, 1 views)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
control, damage, fashion, tragedies