How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-07-2006
tfs star

i bought a necklace and that day i got it stuck on a door handle tried to walk because i didn't realise and got pulled back resulting in said necklace snapping . there's been many paint accidents, mostly with bright blue paint. they were old jeans so its not so bad. don't even ask about the amount of umbrellas i've left in various places.

20-07-2006
tfs star

i'm a repeat victim of ciggy burns.
1# at a very hot club in hyatt hotel. i was in my mid 20s; wearing my latest pair of dkny blk hose. they were the most expensive hose then (erm. think mid 90s) and this lawyer friend acquaintance of mine mozies up next to me with his ciggy in his hand. while i'm chatting with him i feel a hot sensation at my thigh, then i realise there was a gaping hole in my stockings..

the same thing happened with a black bias-cut silk skirt.
the worse thing was both times, it was cigarette burn caused by close men friends.

the third incident occured at a pub. i was standing behind ny 6 ft tall male friend. it was crowded and we had one too many to drink. i knocked his hand (which was holding his ciggy) he lost his ciggy, it it flew into my b louse... i'm not kidding- it burned a hole in my bra. there was the smell of burning rubber... i guess from the material of the bra... and i have a small burn scar now.. right at my chest.

20-07-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine
my sister and i once really wanted the same dress...to solve this problem we agreed that neither of us would buy it....however she secretly went back to the shop and bought it...the first time she washed it the colours ran...this is what i call fashion karma.
Same thing happened. My sis is a bit smaller than me so we decided to share and get the dress and we'd both be able to wear it.
First time we washed it, it shrunk. So she got to keep it. Thank God I'd worn it first!

21-07-2006
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracelikerain
Sorry if the topic title is a bit odd- First, I'm looking on how to "fix" a clothing item..I know tailors deal with lengths, and there is even a "zipper hospital" around here that helps with damaged zippers- but is there any place to take a pair of pants that I left the iron on top of for too long (I was in the other room, dumb I know)? They are not denim, but 100% cotton and purple/champagne colored khaki type material, 100% cotton, "brentwood", by Paige Premium Denim .. The area where I left the iron is lighter colored (almost as if they had been bleached) than the rest of the pants, and I am pretty sure it is not just the folding (though I have not washed them yet to check). Arg, these are my favorite pair of pants- I bought them at Filene's Basement on sale too, and haven't seen them ANYWHERE else. *Any* advice on how to "restore" color, places/people to take the pants to, etc would be *greatly appreciated*.

Also please feel free to use this thread to share other stories of clothes you "damaged" due to silly mistakes, horror stories related to that, advice, etc.
well- first wash them and see how they look...
an iron should not usually make something look lighter...
so that is odd...

one option would be to get some dark blue dye and try dying them ...
good luck with that

21-07-2006
fashion icon

i hate a beautiful blue soft sweater, it fitted me perfectly. and the my little brother cut along the seam, when he was younger and going through his scissor obsession stage like little kids do. also i had the perfect pair of gloves and left the on the bus

22-07-2006
tfs star

Light peach-colored plain tee; no design; rather boring; useful for layering....spilled a glass of red wine down the front...now, it does have a design to it & it's not so boring anymore..Yes!

22-07-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanelnumber5
also i had the perfect pair of gloves and left the on the bus
also to softgrey who's lost her share of gloves..mine disappear like socks (which the washing machine seems to feed on). i'm really sad about one knitted elbow-lenght glove i lost.

also i've been remembering my trip to nyc a lot lately..
me and my friend kate were at the whitney biennial, just looking at some art when her necklace suddenly broke.
everyone stared of course...it could have been a performance art piece in itself.:p
the necklace was quite big..a lot of white and blue beads. whatever we could salvage (with people's help also) we did, the rest we replaced with new beads.

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
22-07-2006
Fierce Flava

My friends dog ate several pairs of my shoes. I don't know which..but I'm thinking it ate the expensive ones since those are the ones on the floor of my room where it could get it and not on the space saving rack. I havent gone to look yet.

23-07-2006
fashion icon

i brought this purple and black strip vintage ports sweater-dress and one day..my grandma found it lying around on a chair in my room and figured it was dirty so she threw it in the washing machine than the dryer and when it came out..it shrunk into this tiny little sweater

though i can still wear it..it's not the same anymore..i miss the sweater dress..i dont like sweaters

edit:
im pretty careful with the clothes i love...so i dont remember many tragedies

Last edited by MUXU; 23-07-2006 at 02:47 PM.
20-08-2006
backstage pass

I bought a pair of leather pants. And now I realize that they have a very strong smell to them.
I think it's cig smoke, but maybe body odor??? I dont really know (and honestly I would prefer not to spend the time in sniffing it out....). So I spent some time on the internet and What I got was
1) put the pants in a plastic bag and seal it with some baking soda in it. And every other day shake out the old baking soda and put new baking soda in. After like maybe a week they should have all the bad smells taken out.
2)go to a pet supply store and get a spray that is for nutreulizing smells. Now since its leather, I dont know what might damage the leather and what wont, so I'm thinking turning the pants inside out and spraying the insides.... cafefuly... I dont think that would do anything too severe to the leather.

ok, any ideas? thoughts comments.....
I dont know what sort of leather it is. I dont know anything about leather clothes. But it's thin. Some if its naked (basicly untreated 'natural looking') some of its colored and 'glossy'... thats as far as I can figure...

21-08-2006

never heard of the baking soda trick- but it sounds good...
it IS supposed to absorb odors....

also- just hanging things outside in the fresh air/sunlight seems to work wonders...

i think we have a thread about removing odors from vintage clothing actually...
called .oooooh that smell...
will try to find the link for you......

21-08-2006

here it is...they do talk about baking soda here actually...
must've slipped my mind.....
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ighlight=smell

21-08-2006
backstage pass

thanks softie.
I'm trying the baking soda in a bag thing now....

we'll see. And I'll post in the other thread also.

22-08-2006
rising star

i was in the moshpit at the last concert i went to, with a few of my crazy guy friends. i had the time of my life -

but came out with 2 necklaces missing and my gorgeous brown bag torn : (

spoilt victorian child

^ Bummer.

This is kind of an odd question, but on the off-chance that someone might know: is it safe to clean clothing that has been treated to look permanently wrinkled (e.g. old Margiela pieces, or those current-season Prada dresses) in the dryer using a home-dry cleaning product (like Dryel)? Will they look the same afterwards, or will the wrinkles fall out...?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
control, damage, fashion, tragedies