How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-06-2013
flaunt the imperfection

success!!!...

i am pretty expert at lifting wax...
learned that early on-
from using the batik technique with fabrics and dyes...
i think that was actually a craft we learned in the girl scouts...

so-
i got out the wax- even though there was a ton of it and it took forever, using tons of papers...(any fiberless, colorless paper works to absorb the melted wax- i used some tissue paper but newspaper is what i learned with and brown paper bag is good too)
but then it was stained, as i had feared...
maybe waxy oil or maybe it was slightly burned from so much ironing...
but there was a huge amount of damage all over the front...
but a run through the wash brought it back to it's original state...
*wish i had before and after pics of this, as it was a shockingly huge amount of wax...

the shorts have also come out alright---
i scraped off as much of the chocolate as i could and did treat the stain itself with just regular detergent before putting it into the wash on gentle...
it was even cold water...
the stain seems to be gone...

17-08-2013
fashion insider

I recently noticed that my favorite wool blazer had a hole in the lining. I think my shoulder bag must have been too heavy and it caused my blazer lining to rub against my jeans or belt... I can't find any other explanation.

So, should I just slap a patch on it? Glue-patch or do I sow one on? Have any of you done something similar and have any advice? I really don't want to make it any worse than it is.... Karma to my knight in shining armour

My own pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-08-15 22.12.12.jpg (348.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-08-15 22.12.04.jpg (343.0 KB, 1 views)

17-08-2013
fashion insider

By the way, Nylondvask is just as wonderful as it says on the box. My grandmother uses it to wash windows, I used it to get oil stains (chocolate) out of my silk dress.

I don't know if it has a different name in other countries. Probably does.

jensenco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nylonvask_lo.jpg (38.4 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by eizhowa; 17-08-2013 at 12:59 PM.
18-08-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
I recently noticed that my favorite wool blazer had a hole in the lining. I think my shoulder bag must have been too heavy and it caused my blazer lining to rub against my jeans or belt... I can't find any other explanation.

So, should I just slap a patch on it? Glue-patch or do I sow one on? Have any of you done something similar and have any advice? I really don't want to make it any worse than it is.... Karma to my knight in shining armour

My own pictures.
What I do in this case is have a tailor replace the lining. I have not had it done for a jacket before, but I'm sure it's perfectly possible.

If you're going to patch, I would sew it on for sure. It looks like it's not going to show while you're wearing it, is that right? If I were going to sew a patch on, I might consider doing it in a beautiful contrasting jewel tone.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 18-08-2013 at 12:26 AM.
18-08-2013
fashion insider

Hmmm... I like the idea of replacing the lining. The current one is half cotton, half synthetic. There is a divide in the middle. Maybe they can just replace the lower half. I quite like the fact that it is made of two fabrics/colors. Very common in Noa Noa jackets. I would have to get a quote though...

my own picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-08-18 17.19.50.jpg (404.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by eizhowa; 18-08-2013 at 11:25 AM.
18-08-2013
V.I.P.

replacing a lining is one of the cheaper things a tailor can do (in the US).

here, you can also buy kits that have iron-on pieces of fabric in them. you pass an iron over the lining and the new piece of fabric sticks to the old one.

fashion insider

^The thing is that I don't know anyone, besides myself, who are bothered to have things mended etc. If that is the attitude of the entire country, that will probably affect the prices. Fingers crossed though

03-09-2013
fashion insider

The tailor gave me a quote for replacing half the lining (below the ribbon, the dark green lining). She said at least 90-100 usd. Replacing all would be more expensive. I still found it very expensive, so I'll look into other options first. Maybe If I find a stronger material, that won't get holes, it would justify the price for me. I really love that blazer.

03-09-2013
Power to the 99%

^ That's a lot. I paid $50 to have the lining of a long, full skirt replaced, including the fabric to my specification.

There's some really pretty patching on that site I posted a link to.

06-02-2014
flaunt the imperfection

i have come to the conclusion that i lost 2 things over the holidays while traveling around the visit family and to take them out in the city, etc...

-a pair of very new and very expensive sunglasses (they were in the case and the whole thing is gone)
*these were a splurge and the very best sunglasses i have found in many years...
they can be replaced, but i don't know if i can justify another splurge like that on a second pair of the same sunglasses...

-an older and trusty black knit TSE cashmere scarf/wrap
*that scarf has traveled with me all over the globe- i bring it on every plane ride because it's big enough to be a blanket and it has been my go to scarf when the temperature dips down...i can wear it as a shawl or wrap it around my neck or head...
it was just one of my favourite things and i have never seen anything like it since, even though i have kept an eye out in case this day eventually came...

i have searched and they are nowhere to be found, so i must conclude that they are both lost somewhere along the way...

somebody has probably found them by now and is hopefully enjoying them and putting them to good use, though they will probably never appreciate them quite as much as i did...

Last edited by softgrey; 06-02-2014 at 12:58 PM.
07-02-2014
flaunt the imperfection

oh miracle of miracles...
found the sunglasses today on the floor behind a table!

happy happy joy joy...

17-02-2014
windowshopping

I recently got hit by a cyclist who tore my fleece Gio Goi jacket in the process then rode off. the tear is about an inch and half in length on the left shoulder. I've tried to sow it but it doesn't look very nice. Given how warm it is I really don't wanna get rid of it. Anybody got any ideas to make it look presentable?

10-03-2014
trendsetter

I got a stain on my Zara scarf. It is acrylic and for that I would not be afraid to just throw it in the washing machine, but I often think that the care labels on similar things says that they have to be dry cleaned - and since the care label had been taken off when I bought it I am not sure wether this is one of those cases.

Would you dare to throw it in the machine at a program for delicate things and at a low temperature?

10-03-2014
fashion insider

On Zaras website it says hand wash at max 30 degrees, so 20-30 degrees on the gentle cycle should be fine Maybe use one of those mesh bags that is recommended for lingerie and other things that could snag.

The tag says do not dry clean btw

Last edited by eizhowa; 10-03-2014 at 12:37 PM.
10-03-2014
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
On Zaras website it says hand wash at max 30 degrees, so 20-30 degrees on the gentle cycle should be fine Maybe use one of those mesh bags that is recommended for lingerie and other things that could snag.

The tag says do not dry clean btw
Seems like google DOES know everything thank you!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
control, damage, fashion, tragedies