How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-10-2005
Power to the 99%

Fashion Tragedies / Damage Control
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious
Yes, Ta-ta, yes!! And then we can share any tricks for salvaging too I have a couple I can share right off the bat Thanks for the condolences ladies. I'm going to take it the dyeing thread when I have some free time to rescue it

Tang - destroyed/repaired Hmm... sounds like you could contribute to this new thread too! Looking forward to pics
Alright, it's time ... you've shared your fashion triumphs ... now share your fashion tragedies

Saturday night one of my dogs ate one of my favorite shoe ornaments. *While* I was in the room, semi-conscious, trying to gather the energy to put the house to bed. I have had other fashion tragedies recently, but ... oh! I remember.

Somehow I tripped getting into an elevator (heel caught in grate??) & I went flying forward. I was carrying my purse & keys & had to let them go so I could brace my fall. Now my vintage Lucite bag that survived in nearly perfect condition for 50 years ... is cracked. In front. After less than 2 months. Ouch.

17-10-2005
V.I.P.

ta-ta...I feel your pain! That really must have hurt.

I had a vintage black slip dress that was VERY expensive that I bought from a flea market in Paris. However....I did the classic mistake. Whilst carefully ironing it with a very low setting......I ANSWERED THE PHONE and literally 5 seconds later, a crusty hole had appeared in the slip. I was on the verge of crying!

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
17-10-2005
V.I.P.

Not the Lucite handbag

Gah! I've done that bit with the iron too Susie Sucks!

So my post was in reference to this shirt from a few days ago in WAYWT:

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...postcount=4884

It now has some unfortunate bleach stains about the back and shoulders. Worst part is I don't know HOW it happened That would at least make me feel better to prevent it from happening to anything else... In the meantime, I'm going to try my hand at dyeing it. Hopefully, the same shade or maybe a gray. If all else fails I'll go black, but I really don't want to. I'll report back if I was able to save it :p

Last edited by Curious; 17-10-2005 at 02:37 PM.
17-10-2005
flaunt the imperfection

i love this thread...

i love that the personal style section is getting more active...
thanks ta-ta...

sorry for all the mishaps girls...

i spillled a glass of red wine all over an ivory silk satin prada blouse$$$$..
but i was actually able to soak it and get the stain out...

similarly...spilled wax from a candle all over a blk jean paul knott skirt first time out.......
did the cool iron with newspaper trick though...and saved that one too!!...

yay!...

17-10-2005
elementary.

ugh. i'm joining the club !
i still havn't gotten over my lil black cardigan tht shrunk
i loved it so . . .!

i'm on the lookout for a replacement . . .

Soviet Camaro

The destroyed/repaired polo was designed that way... I don't like "crisp" polos so it is my protest statement

Now, for my real fashion tragedies:

*caught a brand-new, very-cool, birthday-gift-from-girlfriend shirt on the handle of a sliding door and ripped it, maybe the second time I ever wore it.

*my cat in his youth liked to leap suddenly from the ground to my shoulders, digging in his claws on landing. Ruined not one but two very nice leather jackets. On other occasions, left some nice scars on my shoulders and back, but that's another thread...

I'm sure there have been others but those are all I can think of right now.

V.I.P.

Yay Soft!! Good to have some happy stories in here too. I'll be coming to YOU if I have a red wine spill :p

Here's another happy ending -

These pants used to fall about 4 inches above the ankle. One day they appeared with a mysterious black glob at the hem My sweetie boyfriend tried to remove it... but with dishwashing liquid Anyway, we came to find out it contains bleach. So now the pants had the black glob surrounded by a white ring Saved by making them shorter cropped pants

Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (123.7 KB, 4 views)

17-10-2005
fashion elite

I lost a unique silver ring my aunt had made herself

17-10-2005
V.I.P.

I see our lovely pets will making lots of entries in here... Anyone else notice they only go for the good stuff??

Never ever have any of my cats destroyed a crappy $10 bag I don't care about Only the good stuff. Little devils But oh so cute

17-10-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine
The destroyed/repaired polo was designed that way... I don't like "crisp" polos so it is my protest statement

Now, for my real fashion tragedies:

*caught a brand-new, very-cool, birthday-gift-from-girlfriend shirt on the handle of a sliding door and ripped it, maybe the second time I ever wore it.

*my cat in his youth liked to leap suddenly from the ground to my shoulders, digging in his claws on landing. Ruined not one but two very nice leather jackets. On other occasions, left some nice scars on my shoulders and back, but that's another thread...

I'm sure there have been others but those are all I can think of right now.
Eeeeek!! Now you have really hit on the worst ... when it's a gift from someone else & something happens, especially early on ... yikes.

Btw, Curious, I had many bleach "incidents" back in the day as a result of my mother's laundry "skills." Two ways to cope ... 1) Never use the bleach dispenser, I am convinced that many of them don't work correctly and "dispense" at inopportune times, causing fashion tragedies ... and 2) Banish bleach from your house. It's nasty toxic stuff anyway ... I use "green" bleach instead (made from hydrogen peroxide).

17-10-2005
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
spilled wax from a candle all over a blk jean paul knott skirt first time out.......
did the cool iron with newspaper trick though...and saved that one too!!...

yay!...
I did a similar thing with a black casmere sweather, a huge wax stain... An iron, a lot of paper and patience saved it! Even when all seems lost, there might be ways to save stuff!

17-10-2005
Power to the 99%

Oh, the ring story reminds me of another tragedy :p

So I had this yellow gold monogrammed ring that had belonged to my grandfather as a child, wore it as a pinky ring. He must have worn it for years, it had a really beautiful patina and was thin at the back. So thin that apparently it broke and fell off one day without my noticing ... I should've had it reinforced (fashion regret ).

17-10-2005
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzydi
I lost a unique silver ring my aunt had made herself
Oh that reminds me, I lost my purple Skylab t-shirt (Skylab being surrounded by police TAC squad, a 1979 San Francisco joke combining the fall of Skylab and the riots following the lenient sentencing of Dan White for the assassinations of George Moscone and Harvey Milk.) I don't even know where/how I lost it but I have never gotten over it. It was a very cool tee shirt even without knowing the backstory.

V.I.P.

Hmm.. might go for option 2, Ta-ta. What is "green" bleach? Is it easily accessible?

What's weird is we've never used bleach in the wash... and everything else was fine in the same load Even weirder. I think it may have come in contact with a bleachy cleaning towel before going in... Grrr.

I've also had the same thing happen to several tops I didn't care about, but I thought the culprit in those cases was a sulfur mask I was using, but that's not the case for this incident. Has anyone else experienced loss of color in clothing from sulfur? I had never heard of that...

Oh... and speaking of rings... I lost my sister's high school graduation ring

17-10-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious
Hmm.. might go for option 2, Ta-ta. What is "green" bleach? Is it easily accessible?
By "green," I just mean earth-friendly ... I can get it locally with no problem, Whole Foods and Central Market both carry it here ... I believe you can also get it from Harmony at gaiam.com ... Seventh Generation is the manufacturer of the stuff I use.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
control, damage, fashion, tragedies