How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-10-2005
Power to the 99%

OK, good, much much easier that way

So I have two preliminary thoughts atm ... one is that black ribbon would look good threaded thru the edge of doily #1. The second thought is that you could deconstruct the round one and edge the scarf in tiers of that lace.

Let me go back & look at the pix again ...

29-10-2005
Power to the 99%

OK, what if you did a matching pair of grey gloves ... I am kind of seeing those round edges of doily #1 with black ribbon threaded thru as a wrist treatment ... or even without the gloves a la the latest Chanel You could attach to a wide black satin ribbon that would tie around your wrists?? (Needless to say, a bit difficult to do this long distance when I can't touch/arrange them/put them next to other things )

The other thing is, back in the day women wore bits of lace at the neck ... there's a word for it that escapes me ...

29-10-2005
flaunt the imperfection

tiers of lace?...
like little bo peep's pantaloons......

actually...
i have crochet lace ribbon that i got in dublin...
maybe i should use that?...

i like the idea of threading blk ribbon...

*it can't be anything that will require huge ammounts of patience as that is NOT one of my virtues......

29-10-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
OK, what if you did a matching pair of grey gloves ... I am kind of seeing those round edges of doily #1 with black ribbon threaded thru as a wrist treatment ... or even without the gloves a la the latest Chanel You could attach to a wide black satin ribbon that would tie around your wrists?? (Needless to say, a bit difficult to do this long distance when I can't touch/arrange them/put them next to other things )

The other thing is, back in the day women wore bits of lace at the neck ... there's a word for it that escapes me ...
hey woman!!...
gloves!!...???....
i am supposed to be saving my scarf...
no......
no...i can cut anything but the scarf!!!...

29-10-2005
Power to the 99%

I love Little Bo-Peep's pantaloons ... she is my fashion role model

Yes, the crocheted lace sounds nice ...

I thought you might *have* grey gloves ... I thought everything existed within the depths of that closet of yours Just stand there & command them to come forth But I wasn't suggesting deconstructing the scarf, I meant gloves to go with.

If you do cut into doily #1, I would think you would need to carefully sew down the edges ... doily #2 might not need that dep. on how it's made ...

29-10-2005
Power to the 99%

OR ... grey *mittens* decorated with lace and black satin ribbon! Wouldn't that be cute?

29-10-2005
Power to the 99%

jjill.com

I was thinking scattered ivory/grey pearls (beads) among doily rosettes might look nice ... btw, I don't remember seeing a closeup of the damage we're trying to hide ... but, you may well have the project completed by now

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 29-10-2005 at 11:29 PM.
30-10-2005
scenester

okay
i was dumb enough to take a custom fitted gucci shirt and suit to my local dry cleaner. The suit came back damaged...although i'm not sure how to explain it (the place where u do the buttons up, the leading edge of the suit there was like somehow frayed... anyways it's just unwearable now cos it looks old and damaged in a BAD way...)
and the the buttons on the shirt came back chipped.
ALL OF THEM... i could have cried

30-10-2005
Power to the 99%

^ Did you complain to the cleaner? I have actually gotten cash from two different cleaners. One was easy, one was hard. The difficult one had promised to reimburse me, so when they balked, I threatened to write to every neighborhood newsletter in the area and publicize my difficulty. They immediately became highly cooperative, even offering to drop off a check at my house that same day. It had really ticked me off because I was unemployed and they lost one of my interview skirts--just what I needed.

30-10-2005
flaunt the imperfection

oh i see now ta-ta......
grey gloves...do i have grey gloves?...
i have a blk/wht tweed that looks grey...
but...
i DO have grey mittens...hmmm...
but in all honesty...that sounds too 'cute' for me, i prefer lthr gloves
(i always need that rock n roll edge)...

*the pic of the damage is with the others...
it's a small hole near on of the corners with brown burn mark around the hole...looks like a cigarette burn really...(hard to take a pic up close)

oh...
i haven't done anything yet...
i usually consider lots of options before i decide exactly what i want to do...
the 'thinking' part takes longer than the actual project usually...
...LOL...

you have great ideas ta-ta...thanks for all your help figuring this out...

30-10-2005
fashion insider

Ugh... I had my prada robot trick hanging from my messenger bag. I put the bag on the floor for a minute and someone stepped on part of the robot trick and snapped off its arm!

I felt so guilty... It was my fault! :'(

30-10-2005
backstage pass

Hey you guys! I was just gonna make a thread on this! It was gonna be titled: Fashion Commiserations.

Well, I have lots of them!!

One that sticks out in mind: I went to this charity event/sale in Taiwan. All the fashionistas were donating their designer bags and clothes for charity. And you had to wait in this gigantic line.

There were two lines, one for the bags (TOO LONG) and one for the clothes. I decided to be smart and jumped in the clothes line which was shorter, just to pop my head in and see what they actually had and decide if it was worth waiting for the other line.

I found this AMAZING current season Chanel white tweed jacket for ONLY $400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just about to grab it, and the lady said sorry, it was only for the ppl who were waiting in the bag line ( they included high end merchandise with the bags) So, I had to wait another 2 hours for the bag line, and by the time I got in, the jacket was GONE!

Talk about a bitter pill to swallow!!

Those designer tag sales in nyc..I don't know how ppl survive them! Like sample sales and like that sex and the city wardrobe sale. It is just too hectic for me to bear!

Anyone got any other stories?

candicec

30-10-2005
front row

Well, I used a pair of beige nike cortez trainers (some kind of suede material...) on a rainy day, and they became really dirty, the next day I tried to wash them and they turned green! The next step was taking them to the garbage can...
I was really sad at the time but oh well...I wouldn't use them now so I'm not crying over the trainers anymore.

I think the saddest stories that I have are all with footwear. My clothes aren't really high maintenance.

V.I.P.

my brand new dkny jeans that I'd never worn but spilt nail varnish on

my brand new calvin klein top that I pulled the price tag of not realising it was pinned on, then I ripped the entire back of the top off

30-10-2005
front row

This is one of my fashion disasters...I've had many! I had the best white long-sleeved shirt, and for me, that's an accomplishment because I can never find the perfect white shirt. Then, I have an incident with a Sharpie and the sleeves were ruined, so I took the scissors to it and it turned out fine. Then, the next day, I got pen all over the front and it was beyond being salvaged.

I'm still hunting for it again!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
control, damage, fashion, tragedies