How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-05-2008
Power to the 99%

^ It's true ... but unfortunately we are the very worst offenders ...

15-05-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci_mama
Indeed, beauty can be found almost anywhere at almost any price points.

All it takes is a discerning eye.
Agreed, and this is exactly why the argument that consumerism is destroying aesthetics can be made, especially in regards to fashion.
Quality/originality/aesthetics do not control prices anymore (but they never completely die), supply and demand do. That's why LV gets away with producing those god awful monogram bags for $$$.

Frozen irony.

I find it sad, but I really can't blame the people too much, they are simply following what they are taught from an early age what is stylish and desirable.

You hear rappers going about showing off their LV, when you read the gossip magazines [I never do but it's really an epidemic here] here you just seeWAG fashions... and many will actually aspire to that. You almost have to make a choice, not to buy the magazine in order to not get influenced by it.

Which is a reason I have stopped buying UK Vogue.. it never focuses on style..when you look at it critically is like reading an advertising leaflet IMO. No thank you.

16-05-2008
rising star

those biig stores are all killing off personal style, it's sad.

24-08-2008
trendsetter

yes.. and what is up with so many dressing the same nowdays?

It's not beautiful..almost grungy torn up..rough... why?

07-09-2008
doldrums

Years ago my history teacher mentioned that people hardly purchased clothes in the past and having a full wardrobe of clothes were mainly for the rich. Anyhow the point was clothes were made better and lasted longer now most of the time it's not the case. The clothes stretch, fade, and shred within one, two or five wearings and washings. As a person who lives on a very tight budget it's not easy finding decent inexpensive quality clothing.

I recently removed most of my clothes from my wardrobe. I wasn't wearing them anyway and they were literally taking up space. I fell victim to "fast" consumerism. The money I invested in these articles of clothing could easily been invested into something that will last longer but I didn't. I narrowed down my clothing choices and it's much easier to find something to wear now. Before I had some serious trouble finding something to wear. I don't only look at price range I also look at the quality.

07-09-2008
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by silk skin paws View Post
Years ago my history teacher mentioned that people hardly purchased clothes in the past and having a full wardrobe of clothes were mainly for the rich.
This was especially true in the early 1900s, when women had their dresses and gowns created especially for their body type. Clothing wasn't nearly as available for purchase as it is today, so most women only invested in a few dresses of superb quality. Here's a excerpt about the fashions of 1900-1909 from the book 20th Century Fashion by Linda Watson (an excellent read, I might add!):

Quote:
Ready-mades - a system of mass production of clothes that later became known as 'off the peg' - had already started at the end of the nineteenth century. But this was largely confined to the most basic tailored pieces for everyday wear - the majority of fashionable women had their clothes made to measure. One section [of Vogue], 'Descriptions of Fashion', did exactly that. Page upon page of microscopic detail on individual garments - from colour to cut, from embellishment to button type. These were veiled instructions for dressmakers - to enable pattern-cutting - pages of fabrics shown in minute detail with information on trim, colour, texture and even length.

front row

^^

I have more 'round the house clothes' than I have clothes for going out. Why? Because what I have brought in the past didn't last more than a few washing (5 months at the most in most cases) and I DONT use the dryer for any of my clothes. We hang our clothes outside on the line or inside in a empty closet when the weather isnt good.

I have a bunch of stretched out, piled, faded, ill fitting clothes thats taking up most of my dresser space because unless you spend $$$ on clothes or REALLY know how to treasure hunt (learing that here via sample sales, online samples sales, online coupons and sales, thift store finds, etc) most of the clothes in "regular" stores wont last more than a season.

07-09-2008
backstage pass

I don't think its destroying aesthetics as much as it is destroying individualism. There will always be truly visonary talents out there but so many designers relegate themselves to 'lowest common denominator' fashion so it'll sell.
Consider how few designers you really look forward to seeing each season....its because the rest is so the same!

It makes finding clothes that are truly special and unique a challenge...but I gotta say, I love the hunt!

30-04-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I wonder if they are truly targeting the lowest common denominator, or if some of them are perhaps showing us the best they've got (and it's just not very good)?

01-05-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by eppmaria View Post
those biig stores are all killing off personal style, it's sad.
But smaller stores can flourish because they can reach a wider audience via the internet. More clothes available means more combinations and a larger selection of styles. Plus we have such a history of styles to inspire.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
aesthetics, consumerism, destroying, fast