How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-11-2004
Swim Upstream

I agree riviera style is bad! st tropez is just so trop its disgusting....in so many ways.

Thanks for that Runner - I saw this in th eguardian around Paris fashion week time - its by Jess Carter-Morley I think - she is a very funny fashion columnist at the Guardian - I read her every saturday - she tries desperately to get Britsh women to think about how they dress!!!! I think her observations here are probably accurate.

25-11-2004
crossed wires.

I recently went to Rouen in France for work experience...working in the fashion section of a department store...French women are very fond of there fur and anything that resembles an animal, and still do the whole coiffed hair thing...i personally believe there style is overated. In Paris however there are more stylish women, and yes all the men seem to wear pashmina-type scarves. The women can often look 'harsh' with all their makeup and their rather katherine hepburn style tailoring.
All the gold trimmings on evrything instead of silver always looks like a nod toward nautical fashion though...not so good.

crossed wires.

I recently went to Rouen in France for work experience...working in the fashion section of a department store...French women are very fond of there fur and anything that resembles an animal, and still do the whole coiffed hair thing...i personally believe there style is overated. In Paris however there are more stylish women, and yes all the men seem to wear pashmina-type scarves. The women can often look 'harsh' with all their makeup and their rather katherine hepburn style tailoring.
All the gold trimmings on evrything instead of silver always looks like a nod toward nautical fashion though...not so good.

crossed wires.

oops sorry...school computers...i got a bit annoyed

backstage pass

i think clothes made in Paris are just cut better/better quality... dollar for dollar.

In Canada i have a pig of a time trying to get anything to fit me - and i'm an average size.
In the US it may be a bit better.
But overall in N.America i find it's pretty much cookie-cutter fashion - you'll find the same thing everywhere.... yet more often than not - ill-fitting or difficult to find something that's relatively inexpensive and fits well.

Trundled through Sweden/Denmark/Germany/Paris/Spain/Holland over the past couple of years. The BEST clothes i found were in Paris - in that i just went into a store - put the thing on - whatever it was - and IT FIT PERFECTLY! It took a hell of a lot of searching through stores in the other countries to get good fitting clothes (less searching than in Canada mind you) but Paris... perfect!

scenester

i kinda agree with gruveechick...everything in england seems to be mass produced. you wear one thing and as soon as your outside, youll see someone else wearing the same thing! And the sizeing is really wierd, in one shop your like a perfect 10 and then in the next your like a 14.
Im gonna have to start fiding some really cool boutiques to shop in!!!

That article was brill......but gold?

26-11-2004
backstage pass

It doesn't hurt that most French women are tons thinner than most American women and British women.

26-11-2004
V.I.P.

that article is funny

rising star

I have a french friend who has an allergy for "brand new" stuff. She kinda prides herself for wearing old vintage shoes or bags, that really give her a distictive style.
In the beggining I just didnīt get it, but with time I learned that sometimes this american fever for changing all the time and always buying new items can wash away a very nice disctintive touch old and worn items can give.

10-01-2005
windowshopping

I am French, and I live in the US. I am often complimented on the way I dress by colleagues and friends. When I am in France, I feel underdressed, as it is harder to find interesting clothes in the US and this is where I typically buy most of my clothes. I travel quite a bit for business, and am therefore able to somewhat diversify my wardrobe. What I have noticed is that the women around me don't usually think beyond the one garment. Great shoes, but... the skirt doesn't work with them. I think of a mood before I dress, or of the impression I want to give. I never go out without putting on perfume or jewelry. It's a whole, I create a persona, and it is healing.

10-01-2005
Seductress in Eden

I think the difference between the french fashion is the girls look for quality and not quantity, avoid the trends most of the time and like piece together their few quality items...

10-01-2005
Seductress in Eden

This is an old french ad... i really love the style...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cover-8.jpg (53.4 KB, 96 views)

14-01-2005
paint it black

Secrets of French Style from Harper's Bazaar
This has been requested a couple of times, so here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fs1.jpg (191.9 KB, 670 views)
File Type: jpg fs3.jpg (241.6 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg fs2.jpg (170.4 KB, 719 views)
File Type: jpg fs4.jpg (124.5 KB, 730 views)

Last edited by maarit; 14-01-2005 at 12:50 PM.
14-01-2005
woolgathering

Maarit, that's great!! Is that from a couple years ago? I feel like I've seen it before...I was looking for pics of Ines de la Fressange and that's a good one

14-01-2005
paint it black

that's from around September 2004

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
french, style