How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-03-2004
kit
tfs star

French Style!
Some VERY useful tips here !!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/style/stor...162438,00.html

I , for one , think there'a MORE than a grain of truth in this article .

KIT

15-03-2004
etre soi-meme

for one that spends quite some weeks in Paris every now and a while, i'd say the article is -as usual coming from Guardian style section- rude and half true.

yes, french guys wear scarves and women like to take care of how they walk out of their apartments ..but sunglasses? fur? thats so more "italian" than french.

total looks? helmets? please..
seems like the author has not step in paris for the last 30 years or something..
she needs to take a closer look at how the people (much more the young people) dress down the channel

i really dont get the non stop bitchyness from the Guardian
(a newspaper i always trust for politics )
what's wrong with these people..

and thanks for bringing the artcile in kit
once again, its not your fault if the Guadrian girls are in a rude mood ,
rudeness and bitchyness, thats what i call ..'totally out of style'

15-03-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Mar 15th, 2004 - 10:29 am
for one that spends quite some weeks in Paris every now and a while, i'd say the article is -as usual coming from Guardian style section- rude and half true.

yes, french guys wear scarves and women like to take care of how they walk out of their apartments ..but sunglasses? fur? thats so more "italian" than french.

seems like the author has not step in paris for the last 30 years or something..
she needs to take a closer look at how the people (much more the young people) dress down the channel

Slightly off-topic, but every time I read New York Times article's about Russia, I find them half-true as well, which naturally makes me take all their other articles with the grain of salt. I think one really has to LIVE somewhere for a while in order to right a truthful, non-biased representation.

15-03-2004
front row

Quote:

i've noticed the guardian's articles have got worse ever since they started targeting their articles at the American audience.

this quote is the most insulting, rude and ignorant i have ever read:
Quote:
5: Pancake or au naturel
If you are over 35, slap on the full face of makeup, including lippy, before even your husband sees you in the mornings

I had never heard of Hadley Freeman, but I see a lot of complainning letters written to her in the next days.

15-03-2004
front row

oh i know whpo hadley freeman is. i did a search, look at her other articles, she must be so bitter because she knows she's a real bad journalist.

this is a very insulting aticle on keire knightley
http://www.guardian.co.uk/style/stor...169358,00.html

and this article is just a joke
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0...1160675,00.html

15-03-2004
kit
tfs star

Quote:

Valid points indeed , LENA

It's just that I have a friend in Paris , Ann-Marie , who has totally ungraded deep red hair - a colour that British girls would consider to be ' unnatural ' , perhaps .

As a Frenchwoman , Anne-Marie carries it off with typical Parisian aplomb !!!!

KIT

15-03-2004
flaunt the imperfection

the guardian seems the equivalent of the NY post...another rag...

15-03-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by kit@Mar 15th, 2004 - 7:13 pm

It's just that I have a friend in Paris , Ann-Marie , who has totally ungraded deep red hair - a colour that British girls would consider to be ' unnatural ' , perhaps .

Parisian women are real very very few (like in every modern city, most people come either from the countryside or from abroad)
anyway, Paris is a city where people (including guys) are not scared to look 'non-natural' you can find bright pink or purple hair everywhere in the world, or starnge cut hair like in the most weird way..

local stereotypes make me mad in the global environment, really
we all live in the same kind of culture, buy the same products , get bombarded by the same advertising, see the same films/tv soaps, i cant see what's the big deal..

some love dividing people, i can see those roots being valid in the past (15+years ago) but not anymore, the world is a changing playground and some journalists seem to be missing the point

hehehhee enough (now back to work for a while)

15-03-2004
seagreen serenades

Maybe it's just me again, but I wouldn't have thought these very articles are aimed at people (like a lot of those here) who work directly with fashion. The she who wrote this spent two hours in the place and considers herself an expert and an expert who didn't even organise it for herself to be there for the fashion week (something you'd think someone attempting to sum up a nation's style would do). Anyway, sensationalism seems to be the way to go for some of the current fashion journalists, they are all too ready to exaggerate if it means the odd stranger tells them they could have made it as a comedian.

I wouldn't have thought fashion was high on their priorities at Guardian and maybe the same could be said for most of the readers. The writer is probably told to compose something amusing, maybe based on some truth and to hope it appeals to those who buy papers but never buy vogue. Right, anyways, I wouldn't bother feeling insulted by her comments, even if she calls herself a fashion journalist, I don't know how seriously she actually takes the subject or what could be her own poor humour

15-03-2004
backstage pass

I think that the only thing in that article that seems even remotely true about French people are the little dogs. But I think the article propogates more gender stereotypes than anything. Don't let your husband see you without a full face of makeup? Pullleaze.

15-03-2004
seagreen serenades

I am almost certain had Hadley posted her thoughts, and the thoughts of that article here, she would have included a lot of s, because she is just dressing stereotypes up in a bow to be taken with breakfast because she doesn't realise there will be people dissecting her work, as she would dissect others (were she bothered) on the internet. I think

15-03-2004
etre soi-meme

i agree strawberry & banana..
problem is that articles like this are misleading the public towards a much imaginative 'reality' which plainly doesnt exist ..

to say that french do not wear coloured lense eyewear is simply ridiculous,
much more while most of eyewear for the last two years have been mainly 'coloured lenses' a look at Parisian streets could save the journalist mucho embarashement..

(i'm seriously thinking of writting a letter to the Guardian.. after all and together with the Indepented, its my fave UK newspaper )

15-03-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@Mar 15th, 2004 - 1:45 pm
I am almost certain had Hadley posted her thoughts, and the thoughts of that article here, she would have included a lot of s, because she is just dressing stereotypes up in a bow to be taken with breakfast because she doesn't realise there will be people dissecting her work, as she would dissect others (were she bothered) on the internet. I think
i agree...it's fluff...not to be taken seriously...

15-03-2004
kit
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Mar 15th, 2004 - 2:21 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Mar 15th, 2004 - 2:21 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-strawberry daiquiri@Mar 15th, 2004 - 1:45 pm
i agree...it's fluff...not to be taken seriously... [/b][/quote]
AGREED

That's why I posted it .

KIT

15-03-2004
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Mar 15th, 2004 - 6:58 pm
local stereotypes make me mad in the global environment, really
we all live in the same kind of culture, buy the same products , get bombarded by the same advertising, see the same films/tv soaps, i cant see what's the big deal..

some love dividing people, i can see those roots being valid in the past (15+years ago) but not anymore, the world is a changing playground and some journalists seem to be missing the point
Well... In some ways we are very much alike, in some other ways not, but I think we're certainly more alike than different.

There are still cultural differences between different parts of Europe, or between US/Europe.

Anyway, the article is a joke, I agree with you all. One of the stereotypes I don't understand is that Parisians are rude. I've had friends tell me this too. Practically everyone I met was very nice!

I believe the reason people were nice to me, although I speak practically no French what-so-ever, was that I remembered to be polite. To say "Bonjour, madame/monsieur. Parlez-vouz anglais?" and not just starting to chat away. I mean, if you are rude to Parisians, why should they be polite to you?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
french, style