How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-08-2010
tfs star

i think its a great idea. im doing that since pretty much all my clothes pre-baby don't fit me anymore or are def not my style anymore. go through your closet and seirously...get rid of everything you will not wear.
then write a list of your dream closet. then start buying the simple stuff, like...black cami, white cami, skinny jeans, brown sandals, etc..

01-08-2010
tfs star

^ yes, if you're the kind of person where you regret the things you give away, alot...then be cautious about what you get rid of!
i'm an out of sight out of mind kind of person. i almost never remember what i gave away...

01-08-2010
windowshopping

This post makes me want to cleanse my wardrobe too, haha. But I do think emptying it out completely is unnecessary. I would agree with earlier posters who recommended you look at each individual piece you own, and judge piece by piece what needs to be replaced by something new & better. If your wardrobe does little to excite you, then this is a problem. But throwing it all away is like throwing out a part of you. You should always seek to improve, but not necessarily to become someone new, right? Besides, how do you know that everything you fill your closet with today will still be loved by this time next year? You dont know -- thats why changing up the wardrobe needs to happen gradually.

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Wow. My first thought was... wouldn't it be expensive to replace everything?

If you really want to try this, I would recommend throwing all that you'd like to "throw away" into a box (or x many) and stow it away. Once you by your new clothing, and an old article comes to mind... pull it out. But if after a year (or whatever), you don't even think about any of those old clothes... then donate them to Goodwill. You obviously didn't need/desire them!

front row

I recently did something similar to this, since over the past 12 months my dress size has altered somewhat, and doesn't appear to be changing back. I waited a while, just in case, then decided to sell them on. I used the cash from the sales to replace my wardrobe - although I am still deeply upset that some of those items couldn't be replaced.
Ultimately I chose to perceive it as a sort of renewal, a closet cleansing. It was doing me no good to mope!
Although my own circumstances were born of necessity, there is also something quite exhilarating about being faced with the prospect of renewing an entire wardrobe (slowly, admittedly, as my finances allow).

On the other hand, I do so wish that I had the means to store everything that I have ever owned over the years. So many items that I parted with many years ago for various reasons might delight me today, so I always try to think ahead if contemplating a de-stash. I will probably also regret the garments that I have recently sold to make way for new, better fitting items, simply because at some point I imagine that something, just something could have been altered, reworn in a new way.....etc, etc.

I agree that it ought to happen gradually in most instances, though. Such wise words!

24-08-2010
front row

I think it all depends on your savingsaccount...
It's a great idea but I won't even try it since my taste is quite expensive.
Now I also were pieces which I think are just ok instead of gorgeous.

03-09-2010
front row

*wear

04-09-2010
backstage pass

I wouldn't get rid of everything. Especially if you don't have the money at the moment to buy replacements!

I've been getting rid of a lot of things from my closet lately. The entire wardrobe I used to wear while living in Canada has vanished. The majority of it went to a thrift store, but here in France I haven't found anything like that to give my old clothes to. I only get rid of things that I bought without realising they didn't fit right, that I never wear, that I can't match with anything and that I no longer like. Anything else I don't wear often, but doesn't have much wrong with it, I put in a 'maybe' bag.

Riot Bug

It's quite positive to get rid of those things we do never use or think "why we bought this in the first place?"... & keeping some would be all depending the space you've got for storage...

I personally think keeping some good quality items even surprisingly weird to posses is a "must do"... what can i say... i love Vintage and if my mother wouldn't be as a meticulous Vintage keeper i wouldn't have some nice cardigans, dresses or bags...

Geometric Discharge

Just the other week I had a massive junk throw-out.
I had an unbelieveable amount of junk in my room - just stuff cluttering up the sides that I didn't even like. It was quite depressing.
Anyway, I got rid of most of it and the room is pleasant to be in now.
I plan to do the same with clothes and junk when I go back to Bath. I don't like having all this clutter, I don't know why I had it in the first place.

05-09-2010
V.I.P.

So, I did get rid 98% from my wardrobe...I saved only the things I really wear and few very precious pieces of clothes like vintage dress from my mom and ofcourse I kept all the knitted scarves, hats gloves that are made by my mom and grandmom. I also did get rid of jewerly / accessoriez / shoes / bags I don´t use.
I kept:
only 2 pair of black t-shirts, 2 pair of jeans, 2 pair of shorts, one skirt, two dresses (black and print dress), 4 vintage print t-shirt, 2 long sleeve in black, one black cardigan and one colorful vintage cardigan, few things to wear when I sleep, some work out clothes and ofcourse unwerwears and socks and leggings.
I only kept my 3 vintage bags, one huge grey bag from zara and workout bag. I only kept one pair of black boots and TOMs sneakers and black ballet flats.
My closet was seriously full and after selling all that crap I got lot´s of money! I was so happy and my closet was so empty. I didn´t really buy anything new for a month or something like that and I really do enjoy that my closet is not overly full.

Lately I have been buying few things here and there but I really consider what to buy and what not to buy. I did notice that I have to buy new jacket because I did sell all of my jackets/coats

Nowdays I am more into saving money.

I can see myself being more creative with outfits when I wanna something new, like just pairing some print tights with shorts etc.

I feel like huuuge stone fell off my shoulders, I feel so much lighter...and if I need to move all my clothes fits in one huge bag or two. YAY!

Quote:
Originally posted by Eurasian Mélange

I wouldn't get rid of everything. Especially if you don't have the money at the moment to buy replacements!

Quote:
Originally posted by Erin

Wow. My first thought was... wouldn't it be expensive to replace everything?
Well, if you sell them you get money!
and if you get rid of everything you don´t wear then you win, not loose

tfs star

Got rid of about 80%. Feels fantastic!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
rid