How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-06-2009
shake off your flesh

Wearing a loose white t-shirt sans bra can look incredibly sexy. However, there are three requirements: you must have a small breasts, you must keep everything else basic and you must have the confidence to make it work. It is not for the faint-hearted.

Here is a good example...

style.com

There is a nonchalant air about Sofia Coppola, which made her execute this look successfully. Someone like Paris Hilton couldn't pull it off.

I, myself, have never attempted to go braless in sheer clothing. I'm just not bold enough.

26-06-2009
Deep Red Bells

I think on Sofia it looks fine but she seems to have very small breasts.
I wonder if she can still go braless now that she has had a child.

Someone like Kristen Dunst who has bigger breasts seems to go braless often with less pleasing results, IMO. Whenever she is braless even though her boobs aren't terribly saggy I just feel as though they drag down the whole look.

in the mood for love

I have a couple of tops that look better without a bra, so when I'm wearing those I'm braless. However if an outfit looks better with a bra underneath it, I'll wear a bra. Not a big deal to me. But I don't see anything wrong with a braless look if it's tasteful. But my chest is small-ish...

V.I.P.

altamiranyc via papa_levante

27-06-2009
oh! darling

^

I do remember when I posted that photo that I noticed Naty without a bra. The fact that the shirt is white... It's much easier to see through than black shirts. But her nipples are so perfect and perky that it isn't too "weird." But I'm still not sure on what's socially acceptable. I think if you have nice perky boobs, it's okay. That brings us to acceptable boob appearance from underneath a shirt...

Power to the 99%

upsidedowndogs
The sagging effect I was mentioning is really rather similar to these dog ears:

27-06-2009
oh! darling

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that was my own dog Bernie!

So, fashionista-ta, can I ask? You would never go bra-less yourself or permit yourself to be surrounded by people who don't wear them?

101st monkey airborne

I honestly don't think wearing a bra prevents the effect of gravity in the long run. Gravity wins, regardless. When I was younger and thinner, I went bra-less because I had less boobage. These days, as a C cup, I never go bra-less. Now I'm 36, and they're no more- or less-saggier than any other non-child bearing C-cup I've seen. Tits sag, faces wrinkle, jaws slacken, we age and die, deal with it.

http://www.007b.com/bra_sagging.php

"One study published on the subject of bras and sagging was done in 1991, in Japan. The study suggests that a bra can actually increase breast sagging rather than the opposite. The abstract says (emphasis mine):
"Eleven adult female subjects aged 22-39 years wore a certain brassiere for 3 months while anthropometry and moire fringe photographs on the anterior trunk were taken regularly once a week. After the 3 months, the brassiere was not worn for another 3 months. Then the measurements and photogrammetry were repeated for comparison using superimposed moire configurations. The results are summarized as follows. Regardless of slim or obese trunk, subjects with pendent breasts showed the highest degree of breast form "correction" from wearing the brassiere. In all subjects, after 3 months of brassiere constraint, the underbust circumference was smaller but the chest circumference became enlarged, the distance between the right and left nipples became wider, and the breasts tended to hang down. This change was more marked in obese subjects with pendent breasts. And when this type of subject wore a "well-fitted" brassiere for a long time, her breast form became developed, that is, her breasts hung down more."
Ashizawa K, Sugane A, Gunji T Institute of Human Living Sciences, Otsuma Women's University, Tokyo, Japan: Breast Form Changes Resulting From A Certain Brassiere Journal of Hum. Ergol.(Tokyo) 1990 Jun; 19(1):53-62."

Last edited by mellowdrama; 27-06-2009 at 03:23 AM.
27-06-2009
Confused & Bewildered

Checks calendar.

Doesn't see 197X for the year.

Wanders off.

27-06-2009
trendsetter

I agree with ClassicalBang

I will admit, I too am not brave enough at times to go bra-less. I always hear the little voice (my mother) telling me that not wearing a bra equals saggy breasts

27-06-2009
V.I.P.

I'm a 34DD...so the only time I go without a bra is if I have my swimsuit top on, or some top that has some form of support for the girls. I honestly don't like the braless feeling-I like having them strapped in and I wear gel bras anyway, so they're really comfortable.

27-06-2009
Deep Red Bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
^

I do remember when I posted that photo that I noticed Naty without a bra. The fact that the shirt is white... It's much easier to see through than black shirts. But her nipples are so perfect and perky that it isn't too "weird." But I'm still not sure on what's socially acceptable. I think if you have nice perky boobs, it's okay. That brings us to acceptable boob appearance from underneath a shirt...
I think it makes it even more provocative. She is saying here.... look at my nice tits.

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
If I didn't know any better, I'd say that was my own dog Bernie!

So, fashionista-ta, can I ask? You would never go bra-less yourself or permit yourself to be surrounded by people who don't wear them?
Those are two completely separate questions I don't go any further than my curb without one (I have a pretty comfortable sleep bra that I have been known to wear under clothes to the donut shop in a breakfast emergency ), but what other people do is up to them. I quite liked the woman who closely resembled the above ears ...

27-06-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowdrama View Post
I honestly don't think wearing a bra prevents the effect of gravity in the long run. Gravity wins, regardless. When I was younger and thinner, I went bra-less because I had less boobage. These days, as a C cup, I never go bra-less. Now I'm 36, and they're no more- or less-saggier than any other non-child bearing C-cup I've seen. Tits sag, faces wrinkle, jaws slacken, we age and die, deal with it.

http://www.007b.com/bra_sagging.php

"One study published on the subject of bras and sagging was done in 1991, in Japan. The study suggests that a bra can actually increase breast sagging rather than the opposite. The abstract says (emphasis mine):
"Eleven adult female subjects aged 22-39 years wore a certain brassiere for 3 months while anthropometry and moire fringe photographs on the anterior trunk were taken regularly once a week. After the 3 months, the brassiere was not worn for another 3 months. Then the measurements and photogrammetry were repeated for comparison using superimposed moire configurations. The results are summarized as follows. Regardless of slim or obese trunk, subjects with pendent breasts showed the highest degree of breast form "correction" from wearing the brassiere. In all subjects, after 3 months of brassiere constraint, the underbust circumference was smaller but the chest circumference became enlarged, the distance between the right and left nipples became wider, and the breasts tended to hang down. This change was more marked in obese subjects with pendent breasts. And when this type of subject wore a "well-fitted" brassiere for a long time, her breast form became developed, that is, her breasts hung down more."
Ashizawa K, Sugane A, Gunji T Institute of Human Living Sciences, Otsuma Women's University, Tokyo, Japan: Breast Form Changes Resulting From A Certain Brassiere Journal of Hum. Ergol.(Tokyo) 1990 Jun; 19(1):53-62."
I believe that bras can rearrange where fatty tissue associated with the breasts ends up, and I wonder if that isn't what's happening here. They are pushing the fat up, which changes the look when the bra isn't there.

To me, though, the issue is supporting the ligaments that prevent the dog ear effect. Many bras do not do this perfectly, I agree that they don't fully combat gravity, but I have to believe that all of mine are at least helping ...

The very nice woman from Berkeley I'm sure burned her bra in the era Echoes mentioned, and I found it (after all these decades) not a good look.

27-06-2009
V.I.P.

Suddenly I was terrified about the effects of gravity + aging and I slapped on a nice bra right after taking a shower... Of course, I'd ignored the fact that my newly dyed hair saturates anything when wet, and now my brand-new white and black polka-dotted bra is covered in several shades of burgundy. I find this kind of ironic; it was for such a good cause... Of course I wasn't worried about the dark red t-shirt I was wearing, but I guess the bra was in the background of my mind.

I had tucked my hair into my shirt to prevent the furniture from getting dyed, see... Urgh, this whole bra thing is just a disaster. :p

Last edited by jennifer~; 27-06-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
braless