How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
26-06-2009
  91
shake off your flesh
 
classicalbang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,231
Wearing a loose white t-shirt sans bra can look incredibly sexy. However, there are three requirements: you must have a small breasts, you must keep everything else basic and you must have the confidence to make it work. It is not for the faint-hearted.

Here is a good example...



style.com

There is a nonchalant air about Sofia Coppola, which made her execute this look successfully. Someone like Paris Hilton couldn't pull it off.

I, myself, have never attempted to go braless in sheer clothing. I'm just not bold enough.

__________________

  Reply With Quote
 
26-06-2009
  92
Deep Red Bells
 
brokenenglish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: stuck here
Gender: femme
Posts: 7,828
I think on Sofia it looks fine but she seems to have very small breasts.
I wonder if she can still go braless now that she has had a child.

Someone like Kristen Dunst who has bigger breasts seems to go braless often with less pleasing results, IMO. Whenever she is braless even though her boobs aren't terribly saggy I just feel as though they drag down the whole look.

__________________
Tearfully Joyfully, Burn what is left of me
  Reply With Quote
26-06-2009
  93
in the mood for love
 
Legyviel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,894
I have a couple of tops that look better without a bra, so when I'm wearing those I'm braless. However if an outfit looks better with a bra underneath it, I'll wear a bra. Not a big deal to me. But I don't see anything wrong with a braless look if it's tasteful. But my chest is small-ish...

__________________
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted
  Reply With Quote
26-06-2009
  94
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sur la plage
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,418

altamiranyc via papa_levante

  Reply With Quote
27-06-2009
  95
oh! darling
 
papa_levante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: at the bottom of everything
Gender: femme
Posts: 18,373
^

I do remember when I posted that photo that I noticed Naty without a bra. The fact that the shirt is white... It's much easier to see through than black shirts. But her nipples are so perfect and perky that it isn't too "weird." But I'm still not sure on what's socially acceptable. I think if you have nice perky boobs, it's okay. That brings us to acceptable boob appearance from underneath a shirt...

__________________
i'd rather live it 'cause dreamers always chase but never get it............................... sam ypma
  Reply With Quote
27-06-2009
  96
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,664
upsidedowndogs
The sagging effect I was mentioning is really rather similar to these dog ears:


__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
27-06-2009
  97
oh! darling
 
papa_levante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: at the bottom of everything
Gender: femme
Posts: 18,373
If I didn't know any better, I'd say that was my own dog Bernie!

So, fashionista-ta, can I ask? You would never go bra-less yourself or permit yourself to be surrounded by people who don't wear them?

__________________
i'd rather live it 'cause dreamers always chase but never get it............................... sam ypma
  Reply With Quote
27-06-2009
  98
101st monkey airborne
 
mellowdrama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Francisco
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,319
I honestly don't think wearing a bra prevents the effect of gravity in the long run. Gravity wins, regardless. When I was younger and thinner, I went bra-less because I had less boobage. These days, as a C cup, I never go bra-less. Now I'm 36, and they're no more- or less-saggier than any other non-child bearing C-cup I've seen. Tits sag, faces wrinkle, jaws slacken, we age and die, deal with it.

http://www.007b.com/bra_sagging.php

"One study published on the subject of bras and sagging was done in 1991, in Japan. The study suggests that a bra can actually increase breast sagging rather than the opposite. The abstract says (emphasis mine):
"Eleven adult female subjects aged 22-39 years wore a certain brassiere for 3 months while anthropometry and moire fringe photographs on the anterior trunk were taken regularly once a week. After the 3 months, the brassiere was not worn for another 3 months. Then the measurements and photogrammetry were repeated for comparison using superimposed moire configurations. The results are summarized as follows. Regardless of slim or obese trunk, subjects with pendent breasts showed the highest degree of breast form "correction" from wearing the brassiere. In all subjects, after 3 months of brassiere constraint, the underbust circumference was smaller but the chest circumference became enlarged, the distance between the right and left nipples became wider, and the breasts tended to hang down. This change was more marked in obese subjects with pendent breasts. And when this type of subject wore a "well-fitted" brassiere for a long time, her breast form became developed, that is, her breasts hung down more."
Ashizawa K, Sugane A, Gunji T Institute of Human Living Sciences, Otsuma Women's University, Tokyo, Japan: Breast Form Changes Resulting From A Certain Brassiere Journal of Hum. Ergol.(Tokyo) 1990 Jun; 19(1):53-62."

__________________
Pictured above left: her face a mask of stony courage, future Pvt. Eureka Patchouli Jolie-Pitt wins the War on Terror

Last edited by mellowdrama; 27-06-2009 at 03:23 AM.
  Reply With Quote
27-06-2009
  99
Confused & Bewildered
 
Echoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,781
Checks calendar.

Doesn't see 197X for the year.

Wanders off.

  Reply With Quote
27-06-2009
  100
trendsetter
 
Florecita86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boringtown, California
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,470
I agree with ClassicalBang

I will admit, I too am not brave enough at times to go bra-less. I always hear the little voice (my mother) telling me that not wearing a bra equals saggy breasts

__________________
"But still I'd rather be Famous
Than righteous or holy, any day"-The Smiths: Frankly, Mr. Shankly
  Reply With Quote
27-06-2009
  101
V.I.P.
 
Trista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle area
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,615
I'm a 34DD...so the only time I go without a bra is if I have my swimsuit top on, or some top that has some form of support for the girls. I honestly don't like the braless feeling-I like having them strapped in and I wear gel bras anyway, so they're really comfortable.

__________________
Kiki's Beauty World Please remember: NO bolding of my name, as it gives me headaches.
mandzhieva*cassi v.d.d*burdeu*d.miller*poly*nasenyana
  Reply With Quote
27-06-2009
  102
Deep Red Bells
 
brokenenglish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: stuck here
Gender: femme
Posts: 7,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
^

I do remember when I posted that photo that I noticed Naty without a bra. The fact that the shirt is white... It's much easier to see through than black shirts. But her nipples are so perfect and perky that it isn't too "weird." But I'm still not sure on what's socially acceptable. I think if you have nice perky boobs, it's okay. That brings us to acceptable boob appearance from underneath a shirt...
I think it makes it even more provocative. She is saying here.... look at my nice tits.

__________________
Tearfully Joyfully, Burn what is left of me
  Reply With Quote
27-06-2009
  103
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
If I didn't know any better, I'd say that was my own dog Bernie!

So, fashionista-ta, can I ask? You would never go bra-less yourself or permit yourself to be surrounded by people who don't wear them?
Those are two completely separate questions I don't go any further than my curb without one (I have a pretty comfortable sleep bra that I have been known to wear under clothes to the donut shop in a breakfast emergency ), but what other people do is up to them. I quite liked the woman who closely resembled the above ears ...

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
27-06-2009
  104
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowdrama View Post
I honestly don't think wearing a bra prevents the effect of gravity in the long run. Gravity wins, regardless. When I was younger and thinner, I went bra-less because I had less boobage. These days, as a C cup, I never go bra-less. Now I'm 36, and they're no more- or less-saggier than any other non-child bearing C-cup I've seen. Tits sag, faces wrinkle, jaws slacken, we age and die, deal with it.

http://www.007b.com/bra_sagging.php

"One study published on the subject of bras and sagging was done in 1991, in Japan. The study suggests that a bra can actually increase breast sagging rather than the opposite. The abstract says (emphasis mine):
"Eleven adult female subjects aged 22-39 years wore a certain brassiere for 3 months while anthropometry and moire fringe photographs on the anterior trunk were taken regularly once a week. After the 3 months, the brassiere was not worn for another 3 months. Then the measurements and photogrammetry were repeated for comparison using superimposed moire configurations. The results are summarized as follows. Regardless of slim or obese trunk, subjects with pendent breasts showed the highest degree of breast form "correction" from wearing the brassiere. In all subjects, after 3 months of brassiere constraint, the underbust circumference was smaller but the chest circumference became enlarged, the distance between the right and left nipples became wider, and the breasts tended to hang down. This change was more marked in obese subjects with pendent breasts. And when this type of subject wore a "well-fitted" brassiere for a long time, her breast form became developed, that is, her breasts hung down more."
Ashizawa K, Sugane A, Gunji T Institute of Human Living Sciences, Otsuma Women's University, Tokyo, Japan: Breast Form Changes Resulting From A Certain Brassiere Journal of Hum. Ergol.(Tokyo) 1990 Jun; 19(1):53-62."
I believe that bras can rearrange where fatty tissue associated with the breasts ends up, and I wonder if that isn't what's happening here. They are pushing the fat up, which changes the look when the bra isn't there.

To me, though, the issue is supporting the ligaments that prevent the dog ear effect. Many bras do not do this perfectly, I agree that they don't fully combat gravity, but I have to believe that all of mine are at least helping ...

The very nice woman from Berkeley I'm sure burned her bra in the era Echoes mentioned, and I found it (after all these decades) not a good look.

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
27-06-2009
  105
V.I.P.
 
jennifer~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 8,307
Suddenly I was terrified about the effects of gravity + aging and I slapped on a nice bra right after taking a shower... Of course, I'd ignored the fact that my newly dyed hair saturates anything when wet, and now my brand-new white and black polka-dotted bra is covered in several shades of burgundy. I find this kind of ironic; it was for such a good cause... Of course I wasn't worried about the dark red t-shirt I was wearing, but I guess the bra was in the background of my mind.

I had tucked my hair into my shirt to prevent the furniture from getting dyed, see... Urgh, this whole bra thing is just a disaster. :p

__________________
no fun

Last edited by jennifer~; 27-06-2009 at 10:07 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
braless
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.