How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-02-2012
V.I.P.

Have you changed the way you dress due to economic concerns?
The global economic crisis has been going on for a few years...Have you changed the way you dress due to economic concerns?

i was thinking about this the other day and rationalized to myself that it might make more sense for me to buy dresses rather than 2 separates as it may save money.

16-02-2012
backstage pass

Very interesting topic!

To some extent my shopping habits have changed a bit although not drastically. I'm just more aware of how long pieces will last since I don't have as much to spend. I try and buy pieces with fabric that seems of a good quality/strong that will stand washes and last longer and I try and buy more transitional pieces like quarter sleeves that can be worn year round, layered in the winter and worn by itself in the summer.

Soviet Camaro

Not at all, I am still wearing the same clothes I bought 4 years ago!

But maybe so, since they are definitely looking a bit worn.

I have definitely changed the way I shop. I have been buying very little, and mostly staples like jeans and t-shirts that are "timeless". I also shop my closet more, and have found shoes that I had completely forgotten about.

16-02-2012
rising star

This is very interesting!
Here in Argentina, clothes are more and more expensive every day. Even on sale the price of some items is ridiculous! What I do is try to buy classics (jeans, coats, shoes, jackets, etc.) with good quality and not very "trendy", so I know that I will use them for a long time. Another thing that I been doing lately is buy clothes that are wearable all year. I take advantage of the fact thar here fashion isn't very creative and summer collections are VERY similar to the winter ones.

17-02-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettLover View Post
Very interesting topic!

To some extent my shopping habits have changed a bit although not drastically. I'm just more aware of how long pieces will last since I don't have as much to spend. I try and buy pieces with fabric that seems of a good quality/strong that will stand washes and last longer and I try and buy more transitional pieces like quarter sleeves that can be worn year round, layered in the winter and worn by itself in the summer.
This pretty much summ up my point of view.

However, I'm not sure if this is a consequense of the economic concerns or simply me changing as a person, since I dont cling to my money and have made a lot of big changes in my life during the last couple of years.
Buying a few quality items is not only a personal preference, whether it is caused by the crisis or just by growing up, but also a general concern, since I've started thinking a lot about what buying a 100 cheap pieces a year - and having to buy a new 100 the next year, does to the environment and what signal it sends.

19-02-2012
front row

Absolutely!

I'm searching out fewer, quality, durable items that I love, instead of more cheap items to temporarily fill in the gaps.

I'm really inspired by blogs like Dead Fleurette, Minima/Maxima, Out of the Bag, and Assembled Hazardly.

19-02-2012
windowshopping

Of course, It depends what you wear on money. Generally I prefer to buy cheap and modern clothes than expensive ones which i have to wear for 3 years

20-02-2012
windowshopping

I spend less on clothes than I did a few years ago, but I'm more convinced that is maturing from a throwaway fashion junky obsessed 16-year-old to a 20-year-old with more priorities (uni costs, rent, saving to go traveling). That said, I am more prone to splurge on lots of things at once every now and then...so maybe it all equates and I haven't really grown up at all!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
changed, concerns, dress, economic