How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-04-2004
seagreen serenades

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Apr 16th, 2004 - 11:02 am
very interesting.. i had no clue , thanks strawberry
You're very welcome..

I know crystalized, it's enough to melt your heart

16-04-2004
fashion icon

Guys, I have the impression that you thought the money problem is mine. Fortunately, it isn't. I make quite a good wage and I can basically afford almost everything I set my eyes on. However, I am a journalist, so noticing people is part of my job. I was referring to the majority of women, whose lack of money makes them think of everything but clothes. I don't want to be mean, but it's quite disturbing to see that poverty leads them to throwing on whatever clothes they can find, whatever the shape and colour. Therefore, you can see them completely missmatched. Really, instead of a $3 brown shirt and blue pants, they can buy a 3$ white shirt, which would suit better those pants. But they have a sort of indifference, forgetting that part of feeling good is looking good. They don't even consider themselves women anymore, but some sort of working animals, who must work their soul out, to make end meet. Hence my sadness.

Adorable illusion

To be quite honest, if i had to work hard every day for not much at all, in one of the poorest countries, i wouldnt even care if what i was wearing was fashionable or not.

16-04-2004
fashion icon

Let alone fashionable. How about clean, matched and put toghether?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by oanadobre@Apr 16th, 2004 - 7:37 am
Guys, I have the impression that you thought the money problem is mine. Fortunately, it isn't. I make quite a good wage and I can basically afford almost everything I set my eyes on. However, I am a journalist, so noticing people is part of my job. I was referring to the majority of women, whose lack of money makes them think of everything but clothes. I don't want to be mean, but it's quite disturbing to see that poverty leads them to throwing on whatever clothes they can find, whatever the shape and colour. Therefore, you can see them completely missmatched. Really, instead of a $3 brown shirt and blue pants, they can buy a 3$ white shirt, which would suit better those pants. But they have a sort of indifference, forgetting that part of feeling good is looking good. They don't even consider themselves women anymore, but some sort of working animals, who must work their soul out, to make end meet. Hence my sadness.
Bah! You should visit USA. People that make a $100,000 dress like that

On a serious note, I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm from Belarus originally, and although I left at 15, I remember things vividly. I've been back to Russia, but honestly I don't have a slightest desire to go back to my hometown - I don't want to do anything with a countrie that let's a fascist govern it and promote such inequality. It is truly said. I just hope that with time things will get better

16-04-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by oanadobre@Apr 16th, 2004 - 4:08 pm
Let alone fashionable. How about clean, matched and put toghether?
clean ? absolutely yes
matching together? ..hmmm its quite a fashion mistake
better not match well, but still keep some personal touch?

if i was too poor to buy things I could re-work on old clothes and make something fresh. some women in villages still work their old sewing machine, i think people were more creative when they used to do their own clothes.

i can see reasons to flee from a poor country still..
there are always some 'dark patches' in our 'modern' and 'comforted' western societies

16-04-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by oanadobre@Apr 16th, 2004 - 7:37 am
these people sound depressed...i guess the whole country is depressed...i understand why you are sad oanadobre...it's hard to see people who have so little hope and so little light in their lives...i know exactly what you mean...

can you write about it, since you are a journalist and shed some light on these unfortunate women's lives?... it seems you might have the power to do some good?... your heart is certainly in the right place...

16-04-2004
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 16th, 2004 - 11:10 am
can you write about it, since you are a journalist and shed some light on these unfortunate women's lives?...
I have written, believe me. A drop in a ocean, but still a drop.

etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Apr 16th, 2004 - 5:10 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Apr 16th, 2004 - 5:10 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-oanadobre@Apr 16th, 2004 - 7:37 am
.... throwing on whatever clothes they can find, whatever the shape and colour. Therefore, you can see them completely missmatched. Really, instead of a $3 brown shirt and blue pants, they can buy a 3$ white shirt, which would suit better those pants. But they have a sort of indifference, forgetting that part of feeling good is looking good.

They don't even consider themselves women anymore, but some sort of working animals, who must work their soul out, to make end meet. Hence my sadness.
can you write about it, since you are a journalist and shed some light on these unfortunate women's lives?... it seems you might have the power to do some good?... your heart is certainly in the right place... [/b][/quote]
great idea softgrey

you also touched so well on the effect of depression,
looking 'groomed' is not a matter of money, its a matter of mood.
saddest thing i've ever seen is a depressed woman
in the middle of designer packet wardrobes, which is even more scary.

on the other hand, i've met poor people who have that ' joy of life'
and do put on fake jewlery & lipstick, regardless that they live under
unbelivable conditions (experience from roman-gypsies)

taking care of ourselves is more a matter of mood than money,
i so agree that the example of the women you mentioned seem
that they have given up to depression and this is only partially a result
of their poverty. It's more on the psychological level, its a give up.

16-04-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by oanadobre+Apr 16th, 2004 - 11:28 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oanadobre @ Apr 16th, 2004 - 11:28 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Apr 16th, 2004 - 11:10 am
can you write about it, since you are a journalist and shed some light on these unfortunate women's lives?...
I have written, believe me. A drop in a ocean, but still a drop. [/b][/quote]
one drop at a time, i guess...

16-04-2004
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by oanadobre@Apr 15th, 2004 - 6:50 am
And viceversa: how can designer or manufacturers adapt their work to meet the needs and possibilities of low- income women?
Simple: because most designers don't "Design" for lower incomes. Period. There's no fame and/or status in that. They may sell a low(er) end line (like Issac Mizrahi did for Target), but by and large, they know that designing and fashion gets its glamour from exclusivity and being a "status symbol item".

It's hard to sell something as glamorous and interesting if one thinks it's actually easily attainable.

16-04-2004
scenester

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Apr 16th, 2004 - 11:36 am

you also touched so well on the effect of depression,
looking 'groomed' is not a matter of money, its a matter of mood.
saddest thing i've ever seen is a depressed woman
in the middle of designer packet wardrobes, which is even more scary.

on the other hand, i've met poor people who have that ' joy of life'
and do put on fake jewlery & lipstick, regardless that they live under
unbelivable conditions (experience from roman-gypsies)

taking care of ourselves is more a matter of mood than money,
i so agree that the example of the women you mentioned seem
that they have given up to depression and this is only partially a result
of their poverty. It's more on the psychological level, its a give up.
That happens in Mexico! You see the factory workers fully made up with red lipstick, and high heels on the bus then arrive to the factory and change to sensible shoes to work...

17-04-2004
fashion icon

I guess transition does that to every country...

scenester

I'm from Romania as well, but i've been living in the US for about 15 years now, and my family and I have been going back to romania a couple summers at a time. My dad is from Timisoara and my mom from Suceava -I didnt really like Suceava, but anyways.... it was weird to see that our family over there were better off than most because of the contributions all their family(us and aunts and uncles of mine) from the States back- like clothing, medicine and extra money.

My aunt Lydia was telling my mom how elegantly her children are dressed compared to the other children that go to school and church with them because we had sent them inexpensive dept. store sale items.

And I remember one time reading an Elle magazine from Romania and there was a spreadsheet about some clothing.... ok in a regular American Elle magazine clothing items on that page would have ranged from hundreds to thousands, but in the Romanian Elle maga. they cost under $100. And these were supposed to be "high quality designer" pieces.

I think that's all I have to say, but that just suprised me b/c of the comparison.

Nice to meet you Oanadobre, I didn't think there were other Romanian's on here.

17-04-2004
Fierce Flava

Quote:
Originally posted by oanadobre@Apr 15th, 2004 - 6:59 am
Please tell me, how can little money and fashion mix?
Well, any woman can be fashionable without having that much money...you can look cute in non designer...it's quite sad though that lady got praised for her LV bag...but its even more sad how it is here in Los Angeles.. I rather much be in a place where not everyone and their gardener has a LV bag...everyone tries to top everyone...sometimes I wish that I was in a place less competitive...

the socialites here are getting a lil too much. rder: I only am polite to them so I won't make my boyfriend look bad.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
affordable, fashion