How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-04-2004
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by ooolaladelle@Apr 17th, 2004 - 2:12 pm

My aunt Lydia was telling my mom how elegantly her children are dressed compared to the other children that go to school and church with them because we had sent them inexpensive dept. store sale items.

Hi! It was a nice surprise for me, too. Actuallly, Suceava is now one of the poorest regions in Romania, so what you are saying is very natural- and unfortunate...

22-04-2004
front row

oh i feel terrible for serbia. i`m surpised bosnia is not on there they're economy is currently the poorest one in all of europe

23-04-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by Bixii@Apr 15th, 2004 - 4:34 pm
I live in Mexico, but in the richest city of the country, Monterrey. You wouldn´t imagine what people have here... Everyone and his mother wear Louis Vuitton or Fendi handbags, but they pair them with Zara´s outfits or anything, so no big deal, they are not into fashion they just want to show off. Is when you go to the clubs where you see the gorgeous heiresses dressed beautifully in obviously haute couture or designer outfits in their sized 2 body. They wear furs in winter (is not even cold in here), amazing jewelry...

The social contrasts are huge in this country, so sad.
that's really incredible. i went to yucatan, mexico last summer on a missions trip and you would not believe the poverty! maybe one or two people in the entire village had a bed. they all slept in hammocks. they didn't care whether flies were on their food or their bodies. i don't know where the children slept b/c when i went to their homes, i only saw one or two hammocks. the dogs were half starved too.

it's horrible how you can take a 30 minute drive and everything's different. you're in a city with great private schools and beautiful houses and beaches. it's just so bad how can the upper class watch this happen

anyway, back to the topic, if the people are working just to feed themselves i think clothes and fashion would be the least of their concerns. i know it would be something really trivial to me if i were in their position.

23-04-2004
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 15th, 2004 - 2:51 pm
having designer clothes doesn't mean you have extra style...it means youo have extra money...

i refer to my signature quote...
exactly.

04-05-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by Bixii@Apr 15th, 2004 - 4:34 pm
I live in Mexico, but in the richest city of the country, Monterrey. You wouldn´t imagine what people have here... Everyone and his mother wear Louis Vuitton or Fendi handbags, but they pair them with Zara´s outfits or anything, so no big deal, they are not into fashion they just want to show off. Is when you go to the clubs where you see the gorgeous heiresses dressed beautifully in obviously haute couture or designer outfits in their sized 2 body. They wear furs in winter (is not even cold in here), amazing jewelry...

The social contrasts are huge in this country, so sad.
Hola Biixi,

Yo soy de la ciudad de México ! Pensé que era la única...

04-05-2004
V.I.P.

if these ladies r so poor...
i am sure their clothes are the least of their worries...
if they match or dont match wouldnt make a difference to them
if they dont have enough money to feed their family ...
or get medicine for their sick children

this topic disturbs me.....ur thinkin of givin (lack of a better word) paupers fashion advice, when that is not even important for them....

05-05-2004
V.I.P.

thats where people get confused.

ok. you care about fashion because you have money.
this is a wrong statement. i think?!
everybody wants to look and feel good. whether they have money or they dont.
so you cant expect poor people not to care about fashion.
its a much sader issue for them becasue they just cant get around to spending ANYTHING on fashion becasue they have like a gazillion other more important things to spend on first.

05-05-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by oanadobre@Apr 15th, 2004 - 6:50 am
And viceversa: how can designer or manufacturers adapt their work to meet the needs and possibilities of low- income women?
Simple answer.

They don't.

Sad, but true.

05-05-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by seditionary@May 4th, 2004 - 1:53 pm
this topic disturbs me.....ur thinkin of givin (lack of a better word) paupers fashion advice, when that is not even important for them....
your comment disturbs me. What makes you think just because they are "poor" that they don't dream. That they don't want a nice new dress/shoes/lotion/etc... That they don't want what they see in stores, on other people, etc. Income status does not at all relate what people feel are important to them. How many people do you know that have thousands of dollars of debt? Probably lot's. Why are they in debt? Because it was more important for them to have a 54" tv and new designer clothes and a LV bad and hundreds of dollars on skin care.... AND to top it off there are plenty of really really well off people that don't give a **** about fashion and clothes.

"paupers"? nice.. that's very classy.

To reiterate, social class and economic status do NOT dictate what is and what is not important to people.

Personally I think fashion is unfair. Why should non-wealthy people be stuck buying Wal-Mart clothes (most of which are bad-- when was the last time you needed a gown you happened to check out walmart's ballgown section?). The thing I feel is the biggest difference between designer and non-designer clothes is the unique style of the designer stuff. If I could afford designer clothes I would buy it not because it's "prada", but because I can't find that same outfit I love at the gap or at old navy.... I personally am also not a big "vintage" person. I don't want to have to buy someone's second hand crap and wear it. I deserve new stuff just as much as Paris Hilton. Do I think designers should drop their prices? ABSO-FRICKIN-LUTELY. by a lot!

05-05-2004
V.I.P.

ok wat i hav said has been taken wrong...

i was pissed off coz people on here was dissin abt why dont poorer people match their clothes etc etc... thats wat disturbed me...
im jus like leave them alone... if everyone cares so much abt poorer people not having designer clothes, why not donate some of their wardrobe to clothing aid :pirate:

05-05-2004
scenester

Quote:
Originally posted by genis78@May 4th, 2004 - 12:26 pm

Hola Biixi,

Yo soy de la ciudad de México ! Pensé que era la única...
¡Hola! Qué gusto encontrar mexicanos por aquí. Me encanta este foro y entro seguido, aunque la verdad no posteo mucho... También voy a Luxury Fashion y a prosemarket clic, pero este es por mucho más frecuentado por profesionales de la moda, ¿Tú trabajas en la industria? Yo no .

05-05-2004
scenester

Quote:
Originally posted by rayncloudx@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 12:32 am

that's really incredible. i went to yucatan, mexico last summer on a missions trip and you would not believe the poverty! maybe one or two people in the entire village had a bed. they all slept in hammocks. they didn't care whether flies were on their food or their bodies. i don't know where the children slept b/c when i went to their homes, i only saw one or two hammocks. the dogs were half starved too.

it's horrible how you can take a 30 minute drive and everything's different. you're in a city with great private schools and beautiful houses and beaches. it's just so bad how can the upper class watch this happen

anyway, back to the topic, if the people are working just to feed themselves i think clothes and fashion would be the least of their concerns. i know it would be something really trivial to me if i were in their position.
It´s so disturbing... Having seen it every day of my life and I just can´t get used to it... Like tonight, I was going to buy a hamburger for dinner, and I saw this man on the street begging for money carrying a baby in his arms, he was so thin and dark... I felt so guilty.

02-07-2008
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayncloudx View Post

I think it helps to believe you're somehow better than the people who are suffering ...

04-07-2008
front row

It's happening in America too as we as a society watch. It's no different.

It's a little rich to see some of our wealthier members talk about how one doesn't need money to be fashionable. Yet we all spend spend spend...

The answer to the question is that the truly poor have neither the time nor the energy to concern themselves with fashion. The solution isn't to market them something or offer advice. Maybe improve the economy, or overthrow the ruling class, right? HA.

Fashion and beauty are not the same thing. I enjoy both, but fashion is a very corrupt thing. It feeds on insecurity and greed. It has a lot to do with status, and expense. Often the poor have no time for bringing beauty into their lives, let alone study trends and how they can work them into their fall wardrobe at such-and-such a price point.

The way the poor can work around their problems is unique to each situation, I think. In the meantime those with power must try to attack the root of the problem.

05-07-2008
windowshopping

not everything has to be expensive in order to look fashionable, personally my own style is a mix of high and low. often times designers do diffusion lines for stores such as target and h&m that is one of the solutions, another is try picking up sewing or shopping at vintage / second-hand stores.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
affordable, fashion