How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-04-2004
fashion icon

How can fashion be affordable?
In my country the medium wage is just 100 dolars a month. I make much more, however I have this dilemma: how can women be expected to meet the standards of fashion and beauty when they hardly have the money for basic stuff: food, home and electrcity. And viceversa: how can designer or manufacturers adapt their work to meet the needs and possibilities of low- income women?

15-04-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

they way that major fashion conglomerates do it is by offering lower-priced items like cosmetics and fragrance. it allows one to participate with a brand without the hefty price tag. a woman may never find herself able to afford a quilted chanel purse, but most people can save up for a bottle of chanel no. 5.

fashion icon

Many women I know actually find it hard to save for a spray deodorant... And despite the appearances I don't live in a third world country...

yes

Quote:
Originally posted by oanadobre@Apr 15th, 2004 - 11:50 am
In my country the medium wage is just 100 dolars a month. I make much more, however I have this dilemma: how can women be expected to meet the standards of fashion and beauty when they hardly have the money for basic stuff: food, home and electrcity. And viceversa: how can designer or manufacturers adapt their work to meet the needs and possibilities of low- income women?
what country are you from??

15-04-2004
fashion icon

ROMANIA. What I hate most is that fashion is such a beautiful thing- almost an art in itself, but very few can enjoy it.
Last week in a magazine a so- called "high society" lady- wife of a nouveau riche was praised for owning a 2000 dollars Louis Vuitton bag- it was said that this bag was the most expensive in the romanian "socialite" field. I mean, come on!

kit
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by oanadobre@Apr 15th, 2004 - 8:30 am
ROMANIA. What I hate most is that fashion is such a beautiful thing- almost an art in itself, but very few can enjoy it.
Last week in a magazine a so- called "high society" lady- wife of a nouveau riche was praised for owning a 2000 dollars Louis Vuitton bag- it was said that this bag was the most expensive in the romanian "socialite" field. I mean, come on!
I feel for you

My father was from Romania ( I think the village is called Karosh Va in Transylvania ) and I have SOME contact with relatives .

I remember that in the 80s , relatives were asking my father to take some ' farmers' jeans ' as they were the ' tops ' , then .

It was only after a dubious reception for what he took that we realised that what was meant was ' FALMERS JEANS ' !!!!!

It's LOUIS VUITTON now , is it ?

Progress of a kind , at ANY rate .

KIT ( Benedek ! ) .

15-04-2004
V.I.P.

When we first came to NY,Ali became very good friends with a model named Asta from Lithuania (she was Ford's Supermodel of the world in 2001 I think). Every dime she made ,she sent home to her family. She showed us a picture of her house. It was very small and 6or 7 of her relatives lived there. I don't know if this is the norm for most foreign models or just applied in her case. She was one of the sweetest girls we've ever met. We lost touch with her,I would love to know how she is doing.

15-04-2004
fashion icon

I truly apreciate all your comments, but I guess we must go back to the topic, before Leyla spots us and gets upset .
Please tell me, how can little money and fashion mix?

V.I.P.

I think there are far more important things in life than fashion. One shouldn't torment him/herself because he can't afford something luxurious, that is pretty sad. I know that the pop culture demands it, but one must find strength and inner peace without it. I think that the spiritual fullfillment is much more important. Like you said, fashion is a form of art - so whenever I can not afford something, I don't mind just going to stores to see what the designers created for this season (sort of like going to a museum without a NEED to buy a Picasso, but still having an appretiation for it.)

Mike made an excellent point, as usual. The sad part is, if people only knew how much the prices are jacked up for perfume/cosmetics as compared to clothes....

15-04-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Apr 15th, 2004 - 8:15 am
they way that major fashion conglomerates do it is by offering lower-priced items like cosmetics and fragrance. it allows one to participate with a brand without the hefty price tag. a woman may never find herself able to afford a quilted chanel purse, but most people can save up for a bottle of chanel no. 5.
That's true. I can't afford anything designer yet I own perfumes by Chanel, Gucci, etc. I guess I really should be saving my money for better clothes but it's nice to indulge yourself with small useless things sometimes such as expensive perfume and makeup (though a lot of them were gifts). I can see how these corporations are sucking me into a big hole as a middle class consumer.

I remember when cheaper perfumes were considered tacky and now they are starting to be more accepted. There are more affordable options these days that smell great.

15-04-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by oanadobre@Apr 15th, 2004 - 6:50 am
Why would you feel that you need to meet the standards of fashion? And what are the standards of fashion...does that exist?

I mean fashion can be a lot of things and it isnt b/c you spend $$$$$ on xy and z.
Keep yourself groomed and dress up your hair...even sew your own clothes if you can...I mean you can do a lot of stuff... just b/c someone carries a lv bag or a chanel bag doesnt mean they are fashionable it just means they have extra money to spend
Take good care of the items you do own and dont worry yourself over things that wont matter in the end.

Good luck

15-04-2004
Adorable illusion

Quote:
Originally posted by Missy44x+Apr 15th, 2004 - 11:46 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Missy44x @ Apr 15th, 2004 - 11:46 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-oanadobre@Apr 15th, 2004 - 6:50 am
Why would you feel that you need to meet the standards of fashion? And what are the standards of fashion...does that exist?

I mean fashion can be a lot of things and it isnt b/c you spend $$$$$ on xy and z.
Keep yourself groomed and dress up your hair...even sew your own clothes if you can...I mean you can do a lot of stuff... just b/c someone carries a lv bag or a chanel bag doesnt mean they are fashionable it just means they have extra money to spend
Take good care of the items you do own and dont worry yourself over things that wont matter in the end.

Good luck [/b][/quote]
I agree.

If standards in fashion means you have to be carrying the latest LV bag (or any LV bag) than im not sorry for not being "fashionable" in society's eyes.

Little money and fashion can mix very easily..i like vintage stuff that wont break the bank

15-04-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by banana@Apr 15th, 2004 - 11:10 am
small useless things
don't think of frangrance as small and useless...i have met many women who i have noticed because of a sophisticated cloud of luxurious scent. they are well put together and complete made up (not necessarily in designer duds or expensive cosmetics), but their smell just elevates them into this stylish thing [i think of several department store workers who wear very bland clothing, but their make-up and scents really makes me think they know what's going on...a real sense of style without labels]

backstage pass

Thank you! Fragrance has always been my favourite accessory. I don't wear it everyday anymore because I don't want to disturb those with perfume allergies.

15-04-2004
flaunt the imperfection

having designer clothes doesn't mean you have extra style...it means youo have extra money...

i refer to my signature quote...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
affordable, fashion