How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-01-2004
scenester

about 2 years ago, all i wore were nike tracksuits. I was always into bodybuilding and my weight was hovering around 245-250lbs........finding clothes was impossible......despite being 250, i was very lean and had a 32 in waist at 5 foot 9. The few places that had 18 1/2 in shirts were made for fat asses so the belly of the shirt could literally fit two of me while the collar was still tight.....i had one suit from JoS A banks that was a 48 i believe and had to be tapered in ridicoulously. The pants were a 40 inwaist which i needed to fit my legs into but looked idiotic tapered to a 32 in waist....

anyways, as i went into grad school, i had less time to work out and lost interest in the sport.......my weight dropped to around 195 which i am now and i needed all new clothes.......seeing that i could now actually wear clothes that werent xxxl i tried some designer stuff and fell in love with versaces line.......god knows how many thousands later, i have a closet full of donatellas creations and keep a close eye on the industry...........

dl

30-01-2004
backstage pass

i got my love for fashion from my moms. man, when i was little she would drag me along with her every other saturday to mostly neimans and she would go try stuff on and she would come out and i would tell her if i liked it or not. when neimans had a last call sale we would be at the Galleria ALL day. i find that kinda funny now cuz i was probably 3 or 4 when she started asking my opinion.

i look at old pics of my mom from the 70's and 80's and she was so beautiful and had such a keen sense of fashion. she was one of 3 sisters and whenever you see my mom in a pic with all 3 of them you can totally tell she's the fashionable one. hair, makeup, everything -- she was totally into fashion.

hmmmm -- back to me, my mom says when i was in kindergarten i argued with her what i wanted to where for my school picture saying what she picked out wasn't 'cool enough'. she also remembers the first outfit i picked out at marshall field's -- pair of tommy hilfiger khakis and a polo shirt and a pair of girbaud jeans and jean jacket. all this when i was 5.

shopping and fashion runs in the blood lol.

31-01-2004
V.I.P.

When I was very small (like 4 years old) I got hooked up on fashion, dunno why, I think becuz my mum can make clothes and always bought fashion magazines, with all those 80s stuff, you know, shoulder padding, BRIGHT colors and RED lips... pretty freaky. I got inspired by that, so I took the cushion from my old sofa and emptied my mums closet and kinda dressed the cushions, sorta made my own fashion show.
Later I discovered Barbie, so I took the fabric my mum had, to make clothes for the dolls, It was SO much fun *lol* All my relatives said that one day I'd be a designer someday, but I don't know why I stopped chasing that dream. I'd still love to be one, but I don't think I'm talented enuff, I mean, C'mon, we got people like Jandro and Sean here, who are like, !Gods!
But maybe oneday, I'll start pursuing that dream again.

31-01-2004
V.I.P.

Here is one of my more conservative sketches. *ducks to avoid thrown dirt*

02-02-2004
ingenue

even when I was two or three years old, my mum tells me that I would protest when she tried to put outfits on me, and I would run to my wardrobe and point to what I wanted to wear. I never let my mum pick out my clothes for me, ever. I was obsessed with barbie when I got a wee bit older, loved to coordinate all her outfits. when I learned to sew I designed and attempted to make all sorts of things, both for my dolls and for myself.
I think I inherited it from my grandmother. she was always immaculately dressed in whatever was current, and since she was an interior designer and decorater, she had the means to make and tailor all of her own clothes. I remember when I was about 7, she waltzed into the room in a beautiful, flowing white linen suit, and declared "just because I'm old doesn't mean I can't look good". it made such an impression on me that I was determined to be like her.
for the moment though university calls, but it is not impossible that I might study fashion after I get my degree.

03-02-2004
fashion insider

I started to design and make clothes for my dolls since 5 or 6 years old, and I've been hooked ever since.

07-02-2004
Wanderlust

I saw the Versace Spring 2001 women's collection on Virtual Runway (no longer exists) and thought the music and the atmosphere was awesome!

07-02-2004
tfs star

love the sketch street!! please..do post more!!!

10-02-2004
V.I.P.

THX! I rarely get such comments from people all over the world... just my friends I'll post some more soon, when my PC works again (I'm on my school account now)

18-02-2004
trendsetter

my aunt is a designer, so i have been exposed to it all my life. but it wasn't until last year that it really hit me that this could actually be a career for me...i was about 14 at the time. kinda late, but yeah...reeeally incredibly obsessed. but unfortunately living in relatively fashion-handicapped city.

18-02-2004
front row

my story's a little weird: when i first met my best friend, she was so into leonardo dicaprio. so of course it rubbed off on me and i started getting into leonardo dicaprio. and when i'm into a celebrity, i will seriously know everything about them. so i knew he had a girlfriend named gisele bundchen, who i thought was pretty. so i started liking her and reading lots about her, then one day i ended up on style.com, and it all goes downhill from there. i posted on their message boards forever, and then wow i was into fashion.

19-02-2004
trendsetter

My mother was a seamstress(still sews today) growing up as a child, so clothing was always apart of my life. being the only girl, my mother always dressed us tops. We were the cream of the crop, especially on a sunday for church.

I tend to experiment with clothes and sometimes customise them to suit my style. i love clothes that are different and have unusual cuts, sometimes i might buy things that are deemed "In fashion",but change them up with some funky accessory, more often than not, it will be something totally unusual. I have become heavily into vintage accessories, especially handbags. I never follow fashion,but tend to buy things that will remain classic forever. Fashion to me is like music. I simply couldn't live without them!

My children have made me more fashion 'mad'. Especially the younger ones, my youngest daughter is my little 'model' and i do dress her up as if she is going to a 'Red Carpet do' especially on special occasions.

My husband is fantastic when it comes to style, i haven't met another man like him. He loves expensive things that are not well known, looks fantastic in his clothes and carries himself like a true star. when we first met, he bought a lot of clothes for me, by himself,not really knowing my taste. I can tell you. I WAS NEVER DISAPPOINTED!!. He is the kind of man you can send shopping with your eyes closed and guaranteed he will come back with something breathtaking!!

I am an Image Consultant(fashion stylist/colour analysis) and still am heavily involved with colour and fashion. As a very creative person, i have previously worked in Investment Banking as a Secretary and have done this most of my life, other than performing arts, this is the only field that i am truly confident i can last in for more than 3 years, without being bored. I am hoping to get into shoe making, as i have big feet and LOVE beautiful shoes.

'

20-02-2004
rising star

Errr.. well, I've only been TRULY interested in the whole catwalk/model/trends/etc side of fashion for a couple of months. The reason? I had been visiting catwalk-queen.net for a long time and whenever Gemma (the webmaster of the site) would write a new feature on more "upscale" fashion, I would read it over 1000 times and become immersed in it. From there, I found style.com, and from there, I found.. well, here.

Before I started visiting Gemma's site, however, I was still fairly interested in fashion and would buy almost every fashion magazine out there each month (including ones like Cosmopolitan and such that were and are still obviously not meant for my age group ).

V.I.P.

How did you get interested in fashion
Ok sorry if this has already been a thread.
How did you get interested in fashion ???

I got interested in it, when I was little my grandma used to mind me whilst my mum was working. And she got me interested in it, she gave me vogue when i was in the crib litterally lol

<i've changed the typeface colkour to blk in order to make it more legible... >

Last edited by softgrey; 16-02-2005 at 04:06 PM.
16-02-2005
V.I.P.

my mom says i was always interested in fashion. weird. nobody in my family is.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, interested