How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-01-2004
Proponent of Plaid

How did you get interested in fashion? Have you always been attracted to high-concept, unusual clothing? Are your parents or some other mentor in your life particularly stylish? Do you work in the fashion industry? Do you participate in the fashion game?

1. I have been interested in fashion since I was a little kid. I would say I probably got my start when I was 7 and first started sewing my dolls' clothes. Also, I would make paper-dolls and plunk down to watch any old Hollywood classic movies or costume dramas and do my best to approximate the styles for my paper-dolls. When asked, I would tell people I wanted to be a designer when I grew up. I never got to go to design school, however, as I got talked out of my dream, and therefore I am now the sorta-proud posessor of a BA in English lit and an MA in Medieval Studies (!). And I still want to be a dressmaker when I grow up

2. I've never been that interested in high fashion or trends, but I do like eclectic, funky styles. I love vintage, and I am generally aware of the contemporary trends, whether or not I actually partake of them.

3. Nobody in my family is that into fashion. My mom always dressed really cute as a young woman, but had a hard time finding clothes she liked since they have lived in Nebraska. She's petite, yet busty, so clothing for her is an exercise in frustration. Two of my aunts are pretty stylish, but not into high-end designer wear. Too expensive for working class families, anyway.

4. Do I work in the fashion industry? Kind-of. I am an independent dressmaker, whenever I can get commission work, and I make hats to auction off online for a little extra cash-flow, from time to time. I'd like to do sewing as my full-time job, but for now business is slow.

5. Do I play the fashion game? No. Too expensive, and I don't like most of the stuff out there even enough to copy it.

My favorite fashion topics are sewing, vintage, crazy personal styles, late-Victorian/Edwardian fashion, fetish fashion, Japanese street-fashion, Gothic fashion.

26-01-2004
V.I.P.

Well, I have loved costumes and have been dressing up since practically forever. Hallowe'en and Purim have always been my favourite holidays; I almost cried when I got too old for trick-or-treating! Even today I love dressing up and since I can't really dress up as a princess anymore I collect pretty vintage dresses. I am also fascinated by old movies; especially ones with great outfits. Funny Face is one of my all-time favourite films partially because of the wonderful fashion world it presents. Actually, as_you_like_it, your bio sounds a bit like me...(Minus all those impressive degrees-an MA in medieval studies! ) I also really like Japanese street style, but that was more of a developed interest. One of my good friends from high school loved their styles and I soon became interested as well. Also, I went to an arts high school where people "dressed-up" everyday and I think some of it rubbed off on me!

26-01-2004
Procrastinator.

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Jan 27th, 2004 - 12:03 am
Well, I have loved costumes and have been dressing up since practically forever. Hallowe'en and Purim have always been my favourite holidays
See, and all this time I was thinking people liked Purim because they got to get drunk on it.

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie
26-01-2004
rising star

Honestly honestly honestly, I became interested in fashion by this forum. I came across it looking for something, signed up and made it my homepage, and now I come here all the time, and when i'm in a bad mood, fighting with my stupid friends or something, I come here and read, and it makes me feel better, cause I feel like I have something that they don't. [Kinda like i'm better than them! haha! ] It makes me feel special!

27-01-2004
windowshopping

Fashion victim thank the Lord I'm not.. it would be too much for me, or the beaux in my life

But I do like being dressed in Black .. all black since I can remember, and/.or white.. all white from head to toe, including hats, gloves and just about everything. Accessories too would have to match what I usually wear. So if I'm wearing black, everything will be black {except of course the lipstick -- to me black lipstick is a little bit too much} but I do use loads of khol, and at my height {185cm} for an ex-Mannequin {and Asian at that}, that's pretty cool, even for me

I guess the only way to be "non-descript" is to wear anything which is comfy and something that does not really "shout" to create attention, but decent enough for people who may be interested at looking towards beautiful things around them. Its a great service really to make people suddenly look up and say "Wow.. you've got taste, or you look awesome in that garb - {In reality, you know they'd look good too, if they were daring enough to be themselves}... anyways..

I've always loved being dressed/clothed in nice and comfy garbs. I remembered doing a show for Dior {in Paris}, and it was a show for an Automative thingy at Chartres but the garb was a Dior periodic dress that was practically "impossible" to walk in. I don't care whether its a label or not, but I'd rather be in something comfy than showy.. off the runaway of course...

27-01-2004
windowshopping

Hi everyone! I'm new here and love this site, there is such an interesting, diverse group here. I would say that I have loved fashion since I was a child. My mom tells me that when I was little I would change my outfits constantly throughout the day and loved to play dress up. I never liked to play dolls/barbies, only design thier outfits out of fabric I would randomly find. I started to seriously become interested in fashion about two years ago while researching careers and deciding where I wanted to go to college. I started reading everything I could about fashion in books/internet and started finding forums (which I absolutly love!) I have gotton very interested in street styles, I have always been fascinated by how others around the world dress/put outfits together. I am going to the fashion institute of technology next year to study fashion merchandising. I would love to someday open a boutique that stocks a mix of new up and coming designers that havent gotton exposure and a few designer labels. Nobody in my family is interested in fashion. I live in a very small town (the nearest mall is 2 hours away), so no one around here cares about fashion. Right now, I am kinda in the process of developing my personal style, which is hard in this town. I wear pointy toe shoes out one night, and people go crazy

27-01-2004
trendsetter

I have been interested in fashion since I was little. I always enjoyed playing with my Barbies, creating new outfit combinations for them and sketching designs. I didn't actually consider fashion as a career until about 3 years ago, however. I started studying on my own, visiting fashion-related websites and reading every magazine/publication I could get my hands on. Now, I am studying haute couture at a private dressmaking school in New York. Once the course is done, I hope to spend some time in Paris, furthering my studies at Chambre Syndicale. I love fabric and can spend hours just looking at it and touching it. It inspires me more than anything else. I also enjoy traveling and am inspired by people and places.

My favorite fashion topics are the shows and the designers. I don't work in the industry yet but hope to once my training is complete.

I am the only fashionista in my family, however my mom has always been stylish. She is older (she grew up during the 30s-40's). Because of her I love both those decades and am glad to see a recent return to ladylike, glamourous dressing.

I am attracted to unique items. I don't follow tends-I wear what pleases me. As far as playing the fashion game, I can't afford most of what's out there, and even if I could there isn't much I would want. Designers today are concentrating too much on trends and not enough on individuality.

yes

i was 12 years old, my parents had guests around for dinner and my mums friend was showing off her shoes saying how great the were.......and i told her i didnt like them.........so she said that i couldnt do any better.......so i went upstairs and designed 2 pairs of shoes and showed everyone

they loved them......and i've been designing clothes ever since

27-01-2004
V.I.P.

ii have alwya sbeen in to fashion, It started withd ressing up and drawing, I used to be really into costumes and historical tiems and fairy tales.

I liekd dressing up and drawing. I would always work alot on the clotehs when I drew, so i guess it came from there. I dount knwo i just liek being diffrent with my clothes, being creative and originall, being expressive. I geuss tahts it, im all abotu expression.

rising star

My interest in fashion began when I was around 8 years of age, when I began making little outfits for my dolls. I used to love those little cut-out paper dolls where you could change and co-ordinate their outfits. I learnt to sew from my mum and grandmother. Although I don't work in the fashion industry, I've studied patternmaking and always look forward to when I get the opportunity to make things for myself, friends and family.

I love the colour red ....there's something very feminine and strong about the colour - not to mention that it doesn't look too bad against my fair skin. I adore and find inspiration in japanese street style and find an appeal in styles that are different, fresh and funky. I'll usually wear things that I like rather than based on whether they're in fashion. I can spend hours just looking at pictures in magazines.

front row

My mother wanted to be a designer. Growing up she'd always make my clothes. I know how to sew from looking at her sew my clothes and her own. I think that's where I caught the bug.

28-01-2004
V.I.P.

I've been taking art lessons since I was around 7, I think I was 10 when we started sketching paintings of earlier periods, and since then I've been fascinated in the texture, design and style of clothing
my aunt used to tailor her own clothes, so she'd have scarps of material lying around her house, so I'd design doll clothes and make them

lol sean I like ur story!

chaos reigns

As soon as I graduated from High School I got heavily into arts (the college experience) ... did more and more research on the fashion designers I was interested ... and slowly fell for fashion!

windowshopping

My sister, who is now 23, was very much into fashion when she was my age (sophmore-junior in HS). That's when I was in 4th grade, so I had 7 years on her. My sister inspired me and got me into fashions like Gwen Stefani... or Betsy Johnson. She also was taking modeling classes for a while and was in sewing classes at school. Just lately have I really been interested in big name designers. I love looking through the magazines and I don't get intimidated anymore looking at the models on the runway... I just work more to become more like them... (body). ANYWAY! Yes, my sister got me into fashin in 4th grade.

-Joanie Cooke

That's it, I'm going to Sav-On to buy another fashion magazine.

30-01-2004
V.I.P.

Hmm, I don't quite remember to tell you the truth! It was after the realization that fashion (true fashion) is a form of art. Anything esthetic attracts me, be it literature, architecture, fashion or fixing my car!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, interested