How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-03-2013
front row

Tokyo have all sorts, from the crazy to prim and proper, costumey, American trad style, conservative, original Japanese mix and match etc. there was a post where someone said Saint Laurent Paris is very popular here in Tokyo because 'Japanese are crazy', well, maybe, but it certainly isn't the only or even the major style here. Maybe one thing in common is that Japanese generally are pretty good at layering...

01-04-2013
rising star

I live in a small town in the UK and find that most people here dress in one style, mostly leggings (often not as opaque as they ought to be!) with strappy tops and anything from Primark. Most people look quite scruffy during the day, in hoodies and fake UGGs but then when they go out at night, they get dressed up to the extreme in half a dress with very thick makeup.

I should add that I'm not one of these people!
Posted via Mobile Device

04-04-2013
windowshopping

I live in Dubai and its a mix because you have the locals, the expats and the tourists. All the locals/wannabe locals wear the traditional dish dash or abaya. Most of the expats wear pretty normal clothes, from zara, h&m, topshop etc. Dubai isnt as bad as some other places in the region but you still have to be on the conservative side and most people get that message. with the exception of some (mostly) russian tourists who wear the most vulgar and revealing clothes. Most people dont go over the top and ive only seen 1 person wearing grunge/goth clothing the whole time ive lived here.

04-04-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetements View Post
Tokyo have all sorts, from the crazy to prim and proper, costumey, American trad style, conservative, original Japanese mix and match etc. there was a post where someone said Saint Laurent Paris is very popular here in Tokyo because 'Japanese are crazy', well, maybe, but it certainly isn't the only or even the major style here. Maybe one thing in common is that Japanese generally are pretty good at layering...
You know, I think that was my post, and if so, it has been misunderstood.

The context was a discussion of Suzy's review of the most recent SL show, where (after an apparent desperate search for positive things to say) she wrote that following the show, Saint Laurent had reportedly become most requested in Japan, or something to that effect.

This was interpreted by some as a ringing endorsement. I pointed out that perhaps it was more an indication of an atypical consumer culture in that country, which I said 'borders on the insane.' But I haven't heard anything yet to rival the Dutch tulip mania of some centuries ago ...

With regard to how people dress here, I think I may have trained myself not to notice, as I like to focus on the positive. I do remember noticing in recent years a very large number of ill-fitting grey slacks on women.

07-04-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
With regard to how people dress here, I think I may have trained myself not to notice, as I like to focus on the positive.
When I see someone well dressed I practically stop and turn to stareTells you something about how seldom it happens Otherwise I tend to not look at people either. Stavanger (Norway) isn't a town you go "people watching" in.

9 months out of the year people wear warm lumpy boots and lumpy coats. There is a lot "sporty" clothes, like trainers, shell jackets and running tights. I've forgotten what people wear when it is hot. It has been so long...

Or they are "fashionable" and wear Canada Goose parkas (I swear, everyone in my class at uni has one!), Acne Pistol boots and skinnyjeans. There is also one girl at my uni with ombre hair. one. Everyone else are blonde and looks exactly the same. It is not my fault I can't remember their names

Hardly anyone wears heels.Cobblestone

Generally people don't care:/ Thats my impression at least.

Fashionable vs. normal.
(Canada-goose.com, woman.no)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4565M_Black.jpg (223.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8a95d02f4fe1467891c027466ccdcadb-1-original-380-500.jpg (28.4 KB, 0 views)

07-04-2013
fashion elite

Chicago is such a crazy mix of different styles it's hard to sum up a "look". A lot of it depends on where you are in the city. That being said while I don't think Chicago is a poorly dressed city overall, it's nothing to write home about. Now, the suburbs (where I went to school) thats a different story entirely, lol.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dress, people, town