How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-11-2007
flaunt the imperfection

do you hope to get stared at..? absolutely not!
do you love the attention..??...it makes me cringe...i don't know if i will ever get used to it...
do you think that everyone who is looking at you probably thinks you're 'hot'...or 'cool' or whatever? i don't know what they are thinking and i don't care...i just want them to stop looking at me......
do you strut down the street acting like it's a runway? not intentionally...but i do have a determined stride...especially if i am wearing one of my favourite things that make me feel powerful....ie- some great boots...
do you look people in the eye and check out what they are wearing too?
i am always checking out what people are wearing...i'm not that concerned with making eye contact...but i don't avoid it either...i have no problem talking to a stranger about what they are wearing...i'll just stop and tell them that i think they look great or that i like something they are wearing...i do this often...
do you just strut and ignore everyone because it's all about YOU?....yeah right......
do you hate people looking at you? mostly...yes...
do you wish you could just be invisible? see above...
do you love checking out other people but wish no one would look at you? yep...my ideal is to be a fly on a wall and to just be able to observe everyone else...
people are fascinating to watch......so much diversity...
do you rush quickly from destination to destination to escape those prying eyes of strangers? i have done...now not so much...i am usually rushing though because i'm often running late......*i hate feeling rushed!......
do you feel self-conscious-unsure of why people are staring?...no- i think i can usually tell what they are thinking...people are pretty easy to read if you pay close enough attention...imo...
does it make you mad-*you lookin' at me...?...see below...
does it annoy you...*what?..what are you staring at?...YES!!!...
a glance is fine...blatant staring is obnoxious and rude...so frustrating...
or are you completely oblivious and don't even notice it....
i wish...i think i notice way more than most frankly....
it's a blessing and a curse...

basically...
i began dressing according to my own personal taste at a pretty young age...
it was something i enjoyed doing..putting together outfits and getting dressed up...
i have never really liked super casual clothes...
what i didn't count on was that i was dressing differently than some of the people around me and that this would in turn attract some amount of attention/interest from these people...

i was rather shocked and i couldn't really understand what was attracting all this attention...
and why people would stare so much....
then they started showing up dressed like me...
and so i knew what they were staring at...
they were trying to copy the look...

i think i feel most invisible when i am wearing something with colour or something trendy...because then i just sort of blend a bit more...so people might check out what i am wearing...but not actually 'stare'...

but if i am wearing something more avant garde...or fashion forward..
people will more or less stare because they are studying it or trying to figure out what it is....
- these are basically the times when i feel the least insecure about people staring...because i usually love what i am wearing so much that i don't care what anybody says...those are the times that i know it looks good and it's cool and i'm not seeking anyone's approval...

this is when i am the most 'me'...
and when i feel someone staring...i'm like...
'right- go ahead, have a look...it's good, isn't it...???..'...

Last edited by softgrey; 19-11-2007 at 06:35 PM.

23-11-2007
Proponent of Plaid

It depends on how I am beign scrutinized. If the person is being lecherous or snotty, I generally want to biff them about the head and shoulders, but if somebody is just checking out my outfit or something like that, it's no big deal. And if somebody actually speaks up a compliment, then I am just tickled pink!

I think people are bound to notice when somebody is wearing something striking. I know I get more attention when I wear strange tights or very bright colors, or something that is figure-revealing. To the last end, I hardly ever wear anything that could be construed as sexy or revealing, because I DO NOT LIKE that kind of attention. It makes me very uncomfortable to be ogled.

Frozen irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
but if i am wearing something more avant garde...or fashion forward..
people will more or less stare because they are studying it or trying to figure out what it is....
- these are basically the times when i feel the least insecure about people staring...because i usually love what i am wearing so much that i don't care what anybody says...those are the times that i know it looks good and it's cool and i'm not seeking anyone's approval...

this is when i am the most 'me'...
and when i feel someone staring...i'm like...
'right- go ahead, have a look...it's good, isn't it...???..'...

I totally agree with this softgrey, sometimes I wear things that are just made for me.... like it's such a part of me.. it becomes me, that is when I feel most confident... I wish all my outfit could be in my eyes perfection...but that is so so hard...

I wish i could feel that good all the time, you know.

23-11-2007
fashion icon

ugh I feel uncomfortable if someone is checking me out. I like people focusing on my face and not what I'm wearing or what my body looks like.

I don't mind getting compliments on my clothes though.

23-11-2007
& b

do you hope to get stared at..? yes, all the time.
do you love the attention..?? it depends, there's days i want to go under the radar but still its hard to avoid. but most of time time i love it when people stare, its different.
do you think that everyone who is looking at you probably thinks you're 'hot'...or 'cool' or whatever? i'd like to believe it, otherwise, how do you plan to carry yourself and x outfit with confidence if you dont exude confidence?
do you strut down the street acting like it's a runway? hahaha honey, streets are my runway! oh the things people scream... sometimes is embarrasing because im with people that don't really dress like me, and its like im being rude for dressing like that with them, cause they dont like attention, but if im with friends that dress like that, its a common laugh between us cause we find it funny.
do you look people in the eye andd check out what they are wearing to? sometimes, im not shocked so easily, most of the time i pretend im not staring... but again, im not shocked by what people wear most of the time...
do you just strut and ignore everyone because it's all about YOU? again, its all about self confidence, if you dont feel confident in the outfit, you aren't gonna look fierce or confident... if you're noticing everyone, you just look paranoid trying to find a hole to hide. hahaha
do you hate people looking at you? it happens, im used to it, but it all depends who im with. if im by myself, i dont mind it, but if im with people, that always question my taste, i get upset cause im giving them a reason to tell me "oh you see, you dress like a lunatic" but most of the time i can read people, you can tell when they're hating on you or when they're staring in appreciation.
do you wish you could just be invisible? absolutely not.
do you love checking out other people but wish no one would look at you? that's what there's sunglasses for. i can stare all day and they wouldn't know. i dont care people looking.
do you rush quickly from destination to destination to escape those prying eyes of strangers? if im in a gas station or somewhere where i feel threatened... hahahah
do you feel self-conscious-unsure of why people are staring? i do, but sometimes its not the people staring, its the "oh why did i go this far!" hahaha
does it make you mad-*you lookin' at me...?... no
does it annoy you...*what?..what are you staring at? when its people bunched up looking and making comments and laughing, yes i do get upset, because looking at what they're wearing and what they look like, they shouldn't... then again, i think of what ignorant lifes theyre living, they dont see people that "dress up" too often... but then, why laugh?

Last edited by Alejandro; 23-11-2007 at 12:25 PM.
23-11-2007
flaunt the imperfection

great answers ale---very interesting....
i love hearing from the people who love to be stared at or checked out or whatever..
i'm completely fascinated by that......
very bold people...

Quote:
I totally agree with this softgrey, sometimes I wear things that are just made for me.... like it's such a part of me.. it becomes me, that is when I feel most confident... I wish all my outfit could be in my eyes perfection...but that is so so hard...

I wish i could feel that good all the time, you know.
pucci- i totally know...
and that is always what i am striving for...
i think the way i feel is definitely influenced by what i am wearing...
and not the other way around....
:p...

ie- yohji gets me stared at a LOT...but...i really don't care then...
it's almost like a way to weed out the losers...
anyone who doesn't get it or makes fun of it is clearly not anyone i need to waste my time dealing with...saves me the time of trying to decide...

Last edited by softgrey; 23-11-2007 at 12:57 PM.
09-12-2007
front row

awkward and uncomfortable, then i start feeling insecure about myself, paranoid and self conscious!

09-12-2007
V.I.P.

I'm a little undecided on this one, to be honest... I don't like people staring at me. I've been told that I have a 'presence', but nevertheless... I feel so awkward and self-conscious when people stare at me. However at times, sometimes it's quite flattering... Most of the time though, I hate it.

front row

I'm tall, so I get the "did you model" line all the time, or did you play volleyball. I did model in the past, but certainly don't try to strut down the street like a model. As far as getting stared at for what I'm wearing, I don't mind, especially if someone comments on something unique that I did. It's funny, but I tend to remember those things, kind of selective memory. I like to try new things, experiment a bit and I'm always glad if I get positive feedback from it. I bought a jacket a few years ago, that had a faux fur collar and the sleeves were a little short on me. I found the same fur material at a fabric shop and extended the sleeves with it. After I did that, I got so many compliments on the jacket, which made me feel great. I always felt that, if I feel good about that, I should return compliment. If I'm staring at someone and there's something I really like about their look, I'll say something unless I get an unfriendly vibe from them.

Now, if it's a guy staring and they give me a cheesey line........

09-12-2007
backstage pass

I get stared at almost everyday and it's mostly because my hair and style it different from the "typical" dark skinned guy. Sometimes it's flattering but it can get uncomfortable since I'm a very modest guy.

Last edited by homeboy; 09-12-2007 at 06:12 PM.
09-12-2007
V.I.P.

do you hope to get stared at..? absolutely not
do you love the attention..?? noooo
do you think that everyone who is looking at you probably thinks you're 'hot'...or 'cool' or whatever? not at all
do you strut down the street acting like it's a runway? no, i don't think my legs are long enough to do that
do you look people in the eye andd check out what they are wearing to? no, i'm too shy...
do you just strut and ignore everyone because it's all about YOU? no, i try to dodge hipsters and try no to step on poo
do you hate people looking at you? yes, unless i'm speaking to them
do you wish you could just be invisible? not really, but i don't like a whole lot of attention either
do you love checking out other people but wish no one would look at you? erm i observe but i don't stare...
do you rush quickly from destination to destination to escape those prying eyes of strangers? yes
do you feel self-conscious-unsure of why people are staring? YES
does it make you mad-*you lookin' at me...?... not unless its a sleazy look
does it annoy you...*what?..what are you staring at? a bit... cos some people are jus taking the piss :-\

09-12-2007
daisy in my lazy eye

Never consciously thought about this, and I probably shouldn't if I don't want to get all agoraphobic.

do you hope to get stared at?
no, but being noticed isn't such a bad thing actually.
do you love the attention?
it often makes me feel too self-conscious for my liking, so much so that if the staring audience consists of more than 1 person i'll speed up and rush out of their field of vision. :p
do you think that everyone who is looking at you probably thinks you're 'hot', or 'cool' or whatever?
no
do you strut down the street acting like it's a runway?
not in that sense, but i try to walk with confidence and check if i'm hiding my insecurities well enough in shopping windows.. i guess by way of self-defence as mullet stated.
do you look people in the eye and check out what they are wearing to?
only when someone/something catches my eye. but i'm not constantly looking to see if people are well-dressed as i couldn't care less what the whole world is wearing. i just stare at whatever distracts me.
do you hate people looking at you?
it can be a nice thing and boost your self-confidence level up a notch if they're positively intrigued, even when it makes you feel slightly uncomfortable because someone's watching your moves.. otherwise, well we can't all have the same taste, so i'm fine with people being repelled by what i wear on a particular day. but if the judgement comes from someone i respect in whatever way, it's a whole different case! it really depends on my mood and the person in question.
do you wish you could just be invisible?
on days that i feel repulsive, absolutely
do you love checking out other people but wish no one would look at you?
if i'm checking out someone, why shouldn't they be checking out me?
do you rush quickly from destination to destination to escape those prying eyes of strangers?
no.. unless i've decided my outfit was a very inappropriate choice.
do you feel self-conscious-unsure of why people are staring?
i do check to see if there's something funny about me, but if there isn't i try not to spend much time on an attempt to figure out why they stared. if i do take it a bit further i prefer to protect my self-confidence and interpret it in a positive sense though. why would you try and come up with silly little things that they might have found horrifying if there's no real proof of that? silly! breaks down your confidence for no reason. (i conclude i should practice what i preach more often haha)
does it make you mad-*you lookin' at me?
no...

If you stare at strangers, why is that? Do you look away when they notice?

09-12-2007
V.I.P.

Interesting topic of conversation..And quite a familiar one for me. I absolutely hate it when people stare at me. I understand the instinct, but it just irks me so...oh, how it bugs me The worst is when you get onto the subway train and every face turns around to see who just got on.

Sometimes, it's really funny though. I know that people aren't necessarily staring at me, but there are some days when so many stares are directed at me it really makes me wonder if there is anything on my face.

On my part, I am ocassionally quilty of staring at someone really outstanding. Some people, you just want to tell them how amazing they look, but just end up staring at them.

Thank goodness for TFS then, where everyone is in the same boat, so you don't have to be shy to tell someone how amazing they look. :p

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
10-12-2007
V.I.P.

do you hope to get stared at..?
Yes
do you love the attention..?
Of Course!
do you think that everyone who is looking at you probably thinks you're 'hot'...or 'cool' or whatever?
Depends on the stare, it could be envy too ..kidding
I've always been skinny and I know sometimes they stare thinking "Anorexic" haha whatever I'm not so I don't care

do you strut down the street acting like it's a runway?
haha yes but I have my own style

do you look people in the eye andd check out what they are wearing to?
Depends on the person, If I check I check shoes

do you just strut and ignore everyone because it's all about YOU?
it might seem that I ignore but I'm a very distractive person my mom could walk next or infront of me and I don't notice

do you hate people looking at you?
I would be worried if people didn't stared, so no I don't hate it

do you wish you could just be invisible?
NO!

do you love checking out other people but wish no one would look at you?
No

do you rush quickly from destination to destination to escape those prying eyes of strangers?
No

do you feel self-conscious-unsure of why people are staring?
On the contrary I feel more concious and sure of myself

does it make you mad-*you lookin' at me...?...
At the clubs it does

does it annoy you...*what?..what are you staring at?
¿?

living in the sprawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastry View Post
Sometimes, it's really funny though. I know that people aren't necessarily staring at me, but there are some days when so many stares are directed at me it really makes me wonder if there is anything on my face.
I'm glad someone else does this. There are days I swear so many people stare at me (or in my general direction?) and I often wonder if I have a booger or something... ? :p

y-piece,
and tu
rned into a castle for some towering queen
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
feel, questionaire, stare, strangers