How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-12-2008
memoirs of a...

Welcome to my humble abode. Eh, I mean closet!

To put things in perspective: I have a walk-in closet that's 5x5 in a small rental apartment. I am in my mid-twenties and work long-ish hours in an office, so I wear more dress shirts than the average TFSer. I love that my closet is square-shaped; it is small but has two levels of hanging racks which help maximize storage. I live in Washington DC, which has a clear division of summer and winter so I have clothes for all four seasons.

My storage methodology: I organize by season and by clothing type but not necessarily by color, because I rarely wear things that are not black, white, or red. I prefer hanging clothes with wooden hangers than folding them except for t-shirts. I have about 60 pairs of shoes and the in-season ones are displayed neatly in rows on the carpeted floor; the off-season shoes as well as clothes are put away in boxes and bags. To my surprise, I don't have a lot of bags, so I am able to display all of them on the built-in shelves in the closet.

My Closet, Front View:

My Closet, Side View:

The Extension:

Picture source: my own pics

Last edited by LibertyRose; 25-12-2008 at 09:57 PM.

26-12-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidsandcats View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, but that's not my closet. You can find the source at the beginning of my post.

FYI if anyone's interested, that jewelry hanging branch is from Urban Outfitters.

trendsetter

omigod this thread makes me so ashamed of myself! Oy, I am one of the messy ones, but I think it's partly because I have a lot because I am so reluctant to part with anything. I usually don't buy things unless I really like them and seriously I have things I've had for years that I don't wear that often but I still like and use from time to time so I'm afraid to get rid of things and make more space because I'm afraid what I get rid of might be the perfect thing for some yet unknown future outfit.

I won't take pics, too shameful since it's quite out of order and the storage drawer and shelves and things are scattered throughout the edges of my room so I'm kind of living in the closet. But it's basically two sliding doors open to reveal one high rail along the length of the inside and on them hang the following from left to right: coats, blazers, dress pants, skirts, shorts, vests, belts (on belt hanging devices), little whispy silky tops/camis/slips, knit/jersey tops, wovens or oxford tops, everyday dresses, going-out dresses, then lastly formal dresses.

Along length of the floor there are shoe shelves which runneth over with shoes and boots and flats in no particular order but just sort of shoved however I can try to make them fit. Which they don't. So many aren't even on the shelves but just piled in front of them.

There are two high shelves that run the length of the closet over the hanging rod. The lower one has folded stacks from left to right: more dress pants, wool or tweedy skirts, jeans x2, denim skirts, shorts, and other fabrics of shorts, and then two stacks of sweaters.

The top shelf is stacks of more sweaters on the right side and stacks of sweatshirts/hoodies on the left.

In out-of-the-closet ( :p ) dressers and random drawer things and Rubbermaid under-the-bed things I bought and stacked up or put under the bed, I keep separately: underwear, bras, tights, leggings, socks, bikinis, pajamas, working-out clothes, cotton tanks, camis, l/s and s/s tees, and a few bins of handbags/clutches in rubbermaid bins in their dust bags under the bed too. Oh, and there is another shelf of shoes outside the closet.

I mounted hand towel bars on the wall behind my door to hang bracelets and necklaces on and keep other jewelry in drawers too.

This probably doesn't sound messy because everything has a place, but all the storage drawers, etc. take up most of my oom and rarely do I put clothes away when I take them off. It's usually everything thrown on my bed/floor/stool/back of chair so you can't walk or find anything and somehow the closet and drawers are still full. I even try to utilize space by doubling and tripling things on hangers (especially spaghetti strap or sheer things so you can still see what's underneath). I want those personal princess people to come and fix my closet! I think I know how to organize it, just not maintain it, and there is just too much crap (but I like it and won't get rid of it). I need a walk-in!

V.I.P.

My closet is way too small for all my clothes...I totally need a walk-in. I would say my closet is about 7 feet long, with one rack and a shelf above. I have a giant chest of drawers inside (my mum refused to let me give it away) that holds a lot of my fabrics and costume-y materials. On the far left end, I have my dress bag, which is overflowing because I have so many dresses. I have a plastic chest of drawers by my bed that has the top two just dedicated to all my underwear, but the rest is yarn and crafty stuff. I have a little plastic 3-drawer thing that eventually is just going to be my bras. I have a vanity with two drawers just for lingerie. I have a behind-the-door hook for all my VS Pink hoodies (all 14 of them), and then there is a hook behind my door mounted to the wall where I have some of my skirts, a few other hoodies, a super-delicate Express dress in its dress bag, and then my yellow Michael Kors trench. And to say that it does NOT work for me at all is a gross understatement, as on the shelf in the closet I have things for when I move out, a sleeping bag, and all sorts of random junk-and I have to have it there. I can't afford to get an Ikea system now, but I do like the idea of pull-out drawers for scarves and such.

28-12-2008
backstage pass

LaVan's Closet
Here's my closet, which is actually a small spare room. I store all my shoes and most of my bags (except the huge ones) in a cabinet with glass doors for easy access ... but my two favorite pairs of shoes are nicely displayed on custom-made shoe racks.

I just use clothes racks to hang my clothes so I can easily choose my outfits lol! These are my all-season and winter clothes. My summer ones are in storage and my winter coats are in the cellar. I use custom-made wooden hangers for my dresses, jackets and tops and metal hangers for my skirts.

I also have a large chest of drawers for my knitwear, folded tops and jeans. The top two drawers with the round pull hold my scarves and accessories.

For socks, tights and lingerie, I use a tall chest of drawers. The top drawer with the round pull holds my belts ... though I'm not a belt freak, just enough to spice up my outfits lol!

As I normally choose my outfits the previous evening ... or way before leaving the house (otherwise I miss my bus ), I hang my selected outfits on my door with a metal door hanger.

Last edited by La Vanguardia; 28-12-2008 at 05:33 PM.
28-12-2008
trendsetter

^ shut up! Your closet is a dream come true. So are a lot of your garments/bags/etc.

front row

La Vanguardia, just wow! Yours makes me run to my closet and fix it up.

28-12-2008
V.I.P.

I wish I had that much space for a closet...I definitely like the idea though of having a hanger so that you can put your outfits on after you have picked them out.

29-12-2008
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

^ Bit of an Hermes fan, it seems? Very nice!

backstage pass

Thank you pinksatin, reckoner, Trista, Belowen!

pinksatin / reckoner - I'm still figuring out what I can hang on my pink wall because it looks so empty lol!

Trista - The door hanger is very convenient. My husband finds it strange though that even though I already have a small room, I still don't have enough space to hang my coats so I had to put them in the cellar lol!

Belowen - I do love my Hermès bags and scarves.

29-12-2008
windowshopping

some of these closets leave me absolutely breathless

When I go back to my apartment next week, my closet is in for it!

29-12-2008
V.I.P.

WOW WOW WOW !!!!

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...&postcount=320
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...&postcount=308

La Vanguardia your closet is a dream !!!

mine is a disaster ....
i never organized anything ...

31-12-2008
backstage pass

i need to reorganize my closet now...heehee

31-12-2008
backstage pass

Thank you everyone!!!

31-12-2008
turn and face the strange

La Vanguardia I'm speechless. You must really love and appreciate your clothes to give them such a wonderful home!! So inspiring! Great job.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
closet, organize