How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-11-2005
Frozen irony.

Stick to dark shades, in clothes they make you look older.

I do this I am 20 and still look like a 13 year old.

16-11-2005
backstage pass

I'm just 20 and work at an art gallery (a really traditional one, not comtemporary at all, but selling big heavy sculptures for a lot of money) so people that come here are pretty much in their 40's /50's with good jobs and money, so to be taken seriously as an artadviser I also have to change my style, I normally wear jeans, leather jackets and like following trends.. now while working I always wear dark colors, mostly black, nice cardigans, hardly any prints, at least no tshirts with prints, and more fitted clothes. I always wear high heeled boots or pumps to appear taller. and sigh, I just bought my first suit jacket/blazer-thing (i'm too young to wear that, but need it for the openings!!)

I disagree with somday who says wear more makeup, I always seem to be taken as older when wearing less makeup ((If I put on a lot of makeup I always get asked for ID when I go out, but when I just use mascara and nothing else they never ask me). And most important, looking taller will make you look older! At least that's my experience

Last edited by lumy_; 16-11-2005 at 06:28 AM.
16-11-2005
backstage pass

i do agree that some people look younger with no makeup, but at least I end up getting big baby doll eyes like the olsens when I use eyeliner and mascara on the lower eyelashes as well, i look a lot older wearing just mascara on the upper lashes and nothing else.. wearing too much makeup is just not very sophisticated and just makes you look like you're trying too hard, at least on a daily basis imho.

16-11-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisqa
Hi,

we might have had a similiar topic before, but I couldn't find it.

I'm working at a university in Canada, I'm 35, but dress & look much younger - sneakers, jeans, sweatshirts - so everyone assumes I'm a student. On the one hand fine with me (basically, this is one of the resons I'm working in academia - that there is no strict dress code) - on the other hand I sometimes think, I would be taken more seriously, if I were not consistently mistaken as a student.

Do you have any ideas, how to avoid this dilemma?

Thanks!

sisqa
I'm so jealous! I have to wear a suit to work every day. I miss the days of tee shirts, jeans and sneakers. Worst of all -- pantyhose every day!!! Yuck!

16-11-2005
ingenue

all the advice given has been really good. I look quite young for my age...and I often get treated as such. I know I'll be grateful when I'm 4,0 but right now it is a bit of a detriment. I agree with therese that makeup can counter-effect and make you look older sometimes...depending on your face and the shape of your eyes. the way you wear your hair is also important...hair in your face isn't going to convey maturity.

over the summer I worked in a very casual 'arty' environment, but I always made an effort to dress up and wear nice, coordinated skirts/tops/shoes/hair tied up...and because of that I did feel like they treated me more like a professional rather than a kid doing summer intern work.
also, attitude is a HUGE part of it. when you look like a kid (but are equally, if not more so, as educated and mature as the people you're working with), you HAVE to make up for it by projecting an assertive, serious and professional demeanor.

16-11-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisqa
Hi,

we might have had a similiar topic before, but I couldn't find it.

I'm working at a university in Canada, I'm 35, but dress & look much younger - sneakers, jeans, sweatshirts - so everyone assumes I'm a student. On the one hand fine with me (basically, this is one of the resons I'm working in academia - that there is no strict dress code) - on the other hand I sometimes think, I would be taken more seriously, if I were not consistently mistaken as a student.

Do you have any ideas, how to avoid this dilemma?

Thanks!

sisqa
if you look at urd's post in the "outfits that are inspired by.."-thread, I think that the picture of nicole richie and urd herself in black pants/or jeans with a waistcoat and heels looks young and cool, but still more professional than most students. I love that style, I wear that myself to work and thinks it keeps me looking like "me "but still more professional than in sneakers, jeans and sweatshirts.. maybe that could be something for you??

16-11-2005
flaunt the imperfection

just put on a skirt and a pair of heels...

tie your hair back...

you don't need to wear 'full' make up....
just some lipstick blush and mascara...
done!...

easy as that...

17-11-2005
front row

If you can afford it, look for a classic suit, with a cut and style that's classic (instead of trendy) in a color like gray, navy or black. You can wear the suit to interviews, as well as wear the jacket and pants or skirt separately with other pieces.

18-11-2005
windowshopping

I work in a law firm- where I manage it, so I have to dress professional (and I didn't always when working here and in a different position).
I always still sometimes feel like a kid (seeing as I'm 22) and that I'm not taken seriously but I really agree that attitude totally changes everything.
When I started dressing professional: think lots of black slacks, form fitting tops, heels, stockings- (I wear fishnets , a nice scarf, long black wood winter coat and/or trench, etc. etc. It totally changed my view and how I was treated and everything. Especially outside of the office. It's like you're treated with a certain type of respect because you aren't a punk, but a professional.

Oh and to save $ I usually shop at Banana Republic and very little at J.Crew for my "Professional" clothes.

06-08-2006
front row

I have to dress professional for some events pertaining to school, and usually it requires dressy shoes, blazer, and trousers or skirt.. but it all makes me feel so.. frumpy.

I'm thinking of wearing bright colour heels to make everything pop, but I feel that might be over the top or inappropriate?
and instead of a white shirt I'll wear a ruffled blouse underneath?

anyody have any suggestions! sometimes I feel trapped inside those outfits

02-09-2006
front row

How to dress grown-up?
I was wondering if you had any advice on how to dress more grown up.
The problem is I'm in my twenties but still look like I'm in late teens. Sometimes it gets really annoying. Any advice please?

Thanks in advance.

02-09-2006
fashion insider

I think there is an existing thread already....

unknown
02-09-2006
Soviet Camaro

merged

front row

Thanks for merging and for letting me know.

Lots of good advice here.........Thanks

27-12-2006
fashion elite

How to look older / more sophisticated?
okay so I am 19. But everyone guesses me of 16 or younger. sometimes I think itīs okay, I mean, when iīm 34 looking like 29 I will be happy. But now sometimes itīs just depressing.
Maybe it has somethign to do with my weight (45kg/99lbs) or my high (164cm/5'4"). But i do not grow anymore and I wont gain for just looking older.
I also donīt think itīs the make up that makes me looking younger, is it?

anyways, it drives me crazy. Has anyone any idea how to look as old as I am?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
older, sophisticated