How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-05-2008
rising star

i think that black sunglasses always make you look more sophisticated

30-06-2008
Power to the 99%

bump for merging

01-07-2008
fashion elite

For hair, I would wear it in a french twist/chignon instead of down or in a pony.

Wear simple jewelery that looks rich - diamond stud earrings, pearl necklaces. No bracelets unless its one simple and elegant one.

Wear a suit/blazer in a neutral/muted color with a lighter collared, button up dress shirt underneath (think men's business shirt style). An A-line or pencil skirt that hits at the knees (no shorter and no longer) that matches your blazer. Do a nude leg with nude heels that have a point (this will elongate your legs and give you the apperance of being taller)

I would wear a nice elegant watch too. It's weird but something as simple as a watch will let an interviewer know that you take time seriously and are probably always on time. (interviewers do look for these subtle clues about your personality)

Also, have a notebook and pen even if you dont use them. Again its a gesture that you are taking the interview and the job seriously.

18-09-2009
rising star

Dressing older than you are - what's appropriate?
'Personal style' is about what the person wants to wear, unaffected by expectations of other people or fear of being ridiculed... right

Under expectations of other people comes expectations and restrictions, if you like, of what is appropriate and inappropriate for someone to wear based on their age.

Do you believe that there is a line between edgy and inappropriate when it comes to age and personal style and that this line is one that we should try not to cross, or do you think that to "dress one's age" is a suppression of someone's personal style?

When I first thought about this, my issue was more with young people/kids dressing like adults rather than adults/elderly wearing things similar to what my high school friends wear to parties. And the example that springs to mind of a kid who imo dresses older than her age is Taylor Momsen.
I'm 17 and I think YES: there is a line between edgy and inappropriate when it comes to age and personal style, especially with kids dressing inappropriately. I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to personal style and I embrace a lot of peoples' ideas. There are heaps of under-18 style bloggers, models, celebrities who have amazing and edgy styles, but an outfit starts to cross the line when it ventures into '$lutty'...

Just my opinion, but I'd like to hear what you think about it. Discuss!

Last edited by genevica; 18-09-2009 at 10:22 AM.
18-09-2009
Power to the 99%

I think wearing tailored clothing that fits you well is a good idea ...

19-09-2009
THE STRANGER

There's a different between not dressing your age (which is perfectly fine) and dressing "$lutty". Dressing "$lutty" and being 18+ doesn't make it appropriate!

My parents like to give me crap for not dressing my age. So I ask them what they consider decent dressing for my age. They always point to people who wear very beachy-hollistery-bright-and-happy-surferish outfits. There is no way I'd dress that way. No way. I like to drape myself in dark colors and office lady outfits.

19-09-2009
THE STRANGER

Black, black and black! I think black is just a very good color for the sophisticated look in general

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
older, sophisticated