How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-10-2004
windowshopping

I have been applying for jobs for 2 months. All of which are high end positions where I meet or exceed the qualifications. Upon received my application package, employers are impressed and call wanting to invite me to interview in a hurry!

However, I never get past the first interview. These interviews usually consist of me and 4-6 executives at a table.

I sincerely think I am being poorly judged by my young appearance.
I am 24 years old and it is obvious to see me. I have tried wearing business casual to very nice suites. I am unable to find a way to make myself look older in appearance.

My grammar and intelligence exibits experience and knowledge. But my face is that of an 18 year old.

PLEASE HELP! How can I do my makeup to make me look older than I am? What should I be wearing? How can I gain 6 years on my appearance?

I'm sure at 30 I will want to look younger, but for now I need to add 6. Please help me.

Any suggestions would be wonderful.......and your help is greatly appreciated.

08-10-2004
front row

I feel for you, Missamanda. I'm also on a job hunt now (for an articling position in a law firm). Having always been told that I look young, I also feel a need to look more professional and competent in the workplace.

I think the key with make-up and clothes at interviews is to keep it simple and classic (to the point of being conservative). You'd want to make a good impression but not in a way that detracts from your skills and qualifications. If you wear too much make-up, you'd risk looking like a little girl dressed up in mommy's clothes.

Always wear a well-cut suit even if you don't have to wear a suit on the job later. Wear a shirt in a flattering colour underneath. If you are interviewing at a conservative environment (eg. law firms), wear a knee-length skirt, hoisery, and low pumps.

Put on concealer as needed, wear a bit of powder, neutral eyeshadow, eyeliner but not too smudgey and don't line the bottom if it ends up too smokey( like it does for me), just 2 coats of mascara, and a berry lipstick (no gloss). Spritz on a clean fragrance.

Go easy on the jewellery. Stick to studs, a watch, and mabey a delicate necklace or a not-too-flashy ring. A briefcase/attache is a good assessory if you have one.

I just keep my hairstyle simple, neat, and away from my face. I do the half-ponytail, if you know what I mean.

Finally, be prepared and have faith in your capabilities. Presenting yourself in a firm and confident manner goes a long way in letting the employer know that you are more than competent for the job. I'm sure that you will do very well. Good luck!

So she's pulling out the pin

- Elvis Costello
08-10-2004
windowshopping

also try wearing glasses! Even if you dont wear them now. Just pick up a nice professional looking pair that compliments your apperaance. Sometimes glasses make you seem more ... what's the word... responsible maybe? I dunno give it a try expecially if glasses look good on you. Then in the future if you dont like them, you can say you are wearing contacts, or only need glasses some times. But if you do like them, you could have fun incorporating them into your wardbrobe!
Good luck

09-10-2004
V.I.P.

^^ Great advice. I would recommend wearing your hair down and straight. It adds age to your face by making it look longer.

Also, how tall are you?

09-10-2004
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Oct 9 2004, 07:32 AM
^^ Great advice. I would recommend wearing your hair down and straight. It adds age to your face by making it look longer.

Also, how tall are you?
[snapback]391386[/snapback]

I'm only 5' 3"

09-10-2004
windowshopping

Thank you so much for all the advice everyone.

I'm hoping something will give soon.

15-11-2005
windowshopping

Dressing up to look older/more professional?
Hi,

we might have had a similiar topic before, but I couldn't find it.

I'm working at a university in Canada, I'm 35, but dress & look much younger - sneakers, jeans, sweatshirts - so everyone assumes I'm a student. On the one hand fine with me (basically, this is one of the resons I'm working in academia - that there is no strict dress code) - on the other hand I sometimes think, I would be taken more seriously, if I were not consistently mistaken as a student.

Do you have any ideas, how to avoid this dilemma?

Thanks!

sisqa

15-11-2005
rising star

One of the fastest ways for a woman to look older is to wear her hair short (or up) and put on more makeup. Younger people tend to dress down, older people dress up.
Hard to give you wardrobe specifics, but Banana Republic-type clothing would probably make a more professional image.

front row

I'm in the same situation. I teach at a local college and have often been mistaken for a student--to the point where I have been yelled at for being in the faculty lounge and chased out of the mailroom. This quarter, I got fed up with it and decided to try to change my image.

A few things that helped
--work slacks (basically, pants that need lining look professional)
--instead of cotton (which look casual and pill too easily), silk, rayon or blends
--no jeans or slouchy pants, or even khakis
--hair pulled back neatly or else down
--button downs...the classic white shirt works well here
--accessories (finishes a look, and students rarely coordinate their earrings or necklaces)

It seems I'm missing things, but I'll post again later if I can think of anything else.

15-11-2005
offline.

Wear more tailored pieces of clothing... a nice blazer... button downs... and awesome bag... ditch the sneakers for a pair of more sophisticated shoes... maybe even a nice pair of leather boots

15-11-2005
windowshopping

thanks for all the good advice so far..
Thanks, guys -

I'll try to make my image more mature - I sdo have an awsome bag - but my laptop wouldn't fit in there... I should dye my hair grey - maybe they would then get the message...

Oh crankypants - I had to laugh about your mail room stories - at my last job a professor wouldn't allow me to send mail with the university - she clearly thought i was a student who wanted to send the private mail for free and quizzed me for minutes, whether I was really working her, and what my function was.

15-11-2005
windowshopping

one of the biggest things is to make sure your clothes are pressed and fit well. I started paying attention to that and started feeling more put together and presentable.

15-11-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

If you're not willing to sacrifice comfort, I agree with jenmkat, at the very least, make sure your clothing is not ill-fitting; clothing that fits can change both how you feel about your appearance and your appearance for the better.

16-11-2005
i'm almost ready..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisqa
I should dye my hair grey - maybe they would then get the message...
i'm sorry....
i just had to laugh out loud at this....!!!

good luck...
everyone has given great advice....
i'm sure you'll pull it off....

and just be YOU...

16-11-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisqa

Oh crankypants - I had to laugh about your mail room stories - at my last job a professor wouldn't allow me to send mail with the university - she clearly thought i was a student who wanted to send the private mail for free and quizzed me for minutes, whether I was really working her, and what my function was.
Yes, it's usually a good thing to look younger than you are, until you realize how poorly students are treated!

And I agree with the other suggestions given. Blazer, good shoes, good tailoring etc. In my teacher training, they suggested dressing up on days that you hand out grades. Image does matter, even in academia.

But I'm slowly creeping back to what's comfortable for me. And that's important, too.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
older, sophisticated