How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-06-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I don't do it myself & I see it more often go over the line, but I'm sure it can be done well

03-06-2009
girl who fell to earth

i think when it comes to the midriff it can be really tricky...
we're seeing a significant amount of it on the runways these last couple seasons but it's definitely been more subtle than what we saw in the 90s with all those baby tees that are so trashy ()

i think showing a sliver of skin... probably on the upper abdomen above the belly button with the belly button covered... can be sexy without looking trashy.
should be just a hint..
it's very easy to go overboard...

i'll see if i can find some pics...
*ok... just did some quick searching and definitely think that this is a look we're better off avoiding..
it's SOOO difficult to do it well and not look inappropriate...
i had been considering attempting something like it with a highwaisted pant/skirt this summer but... i'm changing my mind...

**also as another note...
i think the midriff-baring looks that i have appreciated aren't necessarily something that others would consider to be sexy...
i just tend to think that they've been fashionable or chic... sexy isn't the term that comes to mind..

Last edited by ChrissyM; 03-06-2009 at 07:22 PM.
03-06-2009
girl who fell to earth

i thought some of the bare abdomen looks on the miu miu runway were interesting...
but mostly because it was more unexpected..
i don't know if i would call these dresses sexy though...

miu miu fw09

style.com

*i know runway images aren't particularly sexy but i was just trying to find a bare abdomen that didn't cross the line

Last edited by ChrissyM; 03-06-2009 at 07:28 PM.
03-06-2009
front row

^ I like the idea... Not sure on the execution

04-06-2009
Deep Red Bells

I think Diane Kruger pulls off showing a bit of midriff without looking trashy but I agree it's not exactly what I would call sexy.

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...postcount=4174

barcode

Some other examples of bare midriff that I think looks pretty chic and tastefully done.

Prada S/S 01. This a way of doing a bare midriff that I wouldn't mind seeing on the streets.

style.com

04-06-2009
front row

^Great examples and completely agree... Sexy yet chic

04-06-2009
Power to the 99%

^ To me (and granted, being a woman myself, perhaps I am not an expert :p), only look #1 above is sexy. The others manage to be remarkably unsexy, IMO

04-06-2009
scenester

I was thinking of this the other day, how to show off mid-riff because I do think it is sexy but I didn't want to be crossing the line, I think showing the top slither is sexy and a bit of hip slither but I think full on stomach sort of insinuates a bit too sexy (like Britney Spears in Slave for you!). Otherwise I do love those looks posted!

04-06-2009
front row

^ Fashionista-ta. Looking again, I would agree on #4. I still find 2 & 3 sexy... Not overy sexy... but much nicer than a lot of styles

06-06-2009
trendsetter

To me showing of cleavage is not vulgar. What is vulgar to me is the excess of sexy elements or too much skin exposed. Some exemples of what I consider sexy and vulgar..

Vulgar:

style.com

Sexy:

style.com
Polfoto

06-06-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I would agree with you.

Surely no one but Puritans thinks it's vulgar to show cleavage. At a certain level (C?) you have to wear a crew neck to be certain of showing nothing. I have even read advice that says not to wear a crew neck to an interview so people won't think you're uptight. I feel that a little is just fine on most occasions ... a lot is not during business hours. I even find it distracting when other women are wearing very deep necklines at work ...

Of course the problem is that things can shift from where they were when you looked in the mirror in the morning, and you can end up showing more than you intended, and then what can you do ...

06-06-2009
scenester

i am a natural 36 dd and sometimes i think it is a blessing, but most of the time a curse. it makes shopping very hard. many times a dress or shirt will fir great, but the boobs get in the way. no matter if i have on a turtleneck people know i have large boobs. sometimes i think they are sexy, but i really want better legs. that is what i find sexy
for the midriff. i would say, i dont want to see your belly button. maybe a little above or below but not all. like smartvscruffy said. and yes having large breast will make you quickly cross that "line" without meaning to.

06-06-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I said 'what can you do' ... actually I once went to the mall at lunchtime and the good people at Nordstrom pinned me up with a couple straight pins (a tricky task if you don't want to end up being stabbed). I had an tricky meeting that afternoon & my commute was too long to go home.

07-06-2009
fashion icon

I see a pattern in all of the photos that Rubie Girl posted for vulgar of being sequin overload and Vegas Showgirl-esq.

I'm not sure where I stand on navel exposure. I think it probably could be sexy but for me,and I don't know why I think this so I'm not sure I'm able to explain it, but I find it juvenile.

Also,I think no matter what you wear them with,fishnet tights nealy always cross the line

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
crossing, line, sexy