How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-04-2009
tfs star

How to look stylish on a bicycle?
I live in NYC and use my bike to commute and get around. The problem is it's hard to look good; in particular the dreaded helmet problem. I found a few cool helmets, I bought the bern one below (approx $50 USD), but the yakkay ones are great though much more expensive. Any ideas on nice bike fashion from our super chic community?
pics from yakkay.com, bernunlimited.com and http://londoncyclechic.blogspot.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bicyclesatchel.jpg (41.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (2.6 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg 6a00d83451c0f869e20105358f92ad970c-200wi.jpg (10.2 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg 6a00d83451c0f869e20105358f933a970c-200wi.jpg (15.0 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg 6a00d83451c0f869e20105358f9305970c-200wi.jpg (11.4 KB, 439 views)

09-04-2009
trendsetter

Nevermind helmets. Nevermind kneepads. This is what will make or break your look.

jeanturmo.com :p

Can you believe I've spotted bike helmets on Etsy? Not much of a selection, because it's probably not a hot-selling item, and their safety credentials might be dubious. But it's worth a look, right?

As for cute knee/elbow pads, and gloves, an unlikely but good source is stores that cater to dancers and gymnasts. For further safety, imo a brightly colored overcoat/windbreaker is a necessity if you ride when it's dark out; you can find those in regular clothing stores.

Gosh, I miss bike-riding as a means of transport. The city I live in is not bike-friendly at all, and while a select few brave it, I don't have a death wish.

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 09-04-2009 at 06:44 AM.
09-04-2009
front row

Here is a really cute helmet from the movie Yes Man!

http://media.entertainment.sky.com/

09-04-2009
rising star

this is a topic that DESPERATELY needs more discussion! I blogged about it recently - I cycle every day and I hate how, in magazines and on places like the Sartorialist, you see so many stylish girls cycling around on beautiful bikes. It's a lot more difficult in theory I think, especially if the weather isn't on your side.

I am half-sick of shadows

Helmet-wise I love my Faction from Bell...it comes in black and doesn't have any of the strange fins/visors that most helmets seem to have.

Image from Bell Helmet's website

11-04-2009
rising star

that helmet looks brilliant. I hate those flashy, lumpy looking things that you see so much

Power to the 99%

I believe tourist commutes to work on a bicycle ... maybe she'll drop by & comment ...

13-04-2009
technicolor tweed

yesss! I really needed this thread, lol... I live in Italy and go to uni every day on my bike. It's not as glamorous as people would think, because I don't live in the beautiful cobblestoned downtown area, but a more 'normal' part of the city. I find it really hard to look good in a nice outfit while riding a bike, somehow I feel ridiculous getting all glammed up in heels and everything and then walking toward the rusty pole where my bike is chained up... LOL.

13-04-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

^
yeah, and I think that's the problem with the Sart pictures. I think a trench and jeans with cute flats/low heels would be fine. But my problem is the sweat factor. I wouldn't mind biking to uni but when you get off you're all hot and sticky and I don't always wants to have to find somewhere to sort myself out/shower.

13-04-2009
backstage pass

i'm using my bike nearly every day. i never wear jeans/pants with a bright colour cause they'd get dirty immediately. you should also pay attention that the trouser legs aren't too wide
but in general you can wear almost everything

13-04-2009
backstage pass

I no longer bike to work, but I definitely agree that it is hard to look good on a bike. I just really don't understand those Sartorialist pictures ... I think it's more important to be safe and comfortable than fashionable when it comes to biking. Maybe it's easier in NY, but where I was biking, cars aren't used to sharing the road, so you had to really be cautious to be highly visible! When I was biking, I usually wore my silly helmut and practical shoes and changed when I got to work. My husband wears full on bike gear (his commute is farther) and brings a change of clothes.

elise, so true about the wide trouser legs! Rolling up your pants or even a rubber band does the trick, if you don't mind too much to look silly (I certainly didn't)

14-04-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist10 View Post
elise, so true about the wide trouser legs! Rolling up your pants or even a rubber band does the trick, if you don't mind too much to look silly (I certainly didn't)
no i don't mind looking silly on the bike better looking a little silly than ruining your clothes. however i don't have any pants with wide trouser legs at the moment

16-04-2009
Evy
front row

Well, I use my bike everyday, and I don't wear specific clothes...
Kinda hard though to bike with a really short dress for obvious reasons...
I don't mind cycling in 10cm heels, shorts, etc.
I don't wear a helmet, bad I know but nobody really does it where I live...

18-04-2009
V.I.P.

i love these hat-like helmets so cute
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...1&d=1239251112

with the visor? eye shield? at the front
like a baseball cap

i think sunglasses would be nice
but i find i dont see in them as well as i would without
i like having my face covered when i'm on a bike.

18-04-2009
backstage pass

^^ looks more like a riding helmet to me

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bicycle, stylish