How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-08-2006
fashion insider

There is such thing as going over the top so yeah.....

17-08-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassAngel
Sigh...Tara Reid is like a walking 'Don't end up like me' warning sign

Ha ha ha so true!

But I agree with everyone, too much cleavage showing could be gawky and and inappropriate, especially if htey have large breasts. A little can go a long way, you know.

17-08-2006
rising star

If people are gawking at your breasts, that would be a sure sign of too much

17-08-2006
scenester

I think if you have to ask if it's too much cleavage, it probably is. If I find myself wondering, "Is this appropriate?" or "Does this match/look okay?", I change.

17-08-2006
V.I.P.

i feel so bad everytime Ilook at her..I mean,,wow she really needs a stylist..her skin,hair,makeup clothes never look right!! she was soo cute in Josie and the pussycats....anyways the point is.. she has bad cleavage

18-08-2006
fashion icon

I'm so glad I found this thread...I had a little incident yesterday. I wore a slightly large fitting top which incidentally showed more of my boobies than I thought. I knew the top was big so I tried my best to adjust it the way I could. Well someone patient at my job decided they want to fill out a comment card saying that my clothes were inappropriate and that men were ogling me in the line......Um, she and her husband were the only people in lines so I guess she got mad because her husband was looking at my boobs. She tried to get me in trouble over this and it pissed me off. I was not trying to show any cleavage at work, but nevertheless a baggy top and ample boobies is a no no. There's really no point to this story other than it has to deal with cleavage and the client pissed me off.

dlg

18-08-2006
tfs star

Oh my goodness DLG...I'm totally with you...I'm p**sed off just hearing that story. Grr. People could be so closed-minded and sexist. A similar thing happened to me when I was showing NOTHING. People will just make things up to pick on.

The amount of appropriate cleavage depends on so many factors; the time, place, occasion, who will see it (how it will be interpreted), behavior and attitude of the wearer, figure of the wearer, and how tastefully it's done. No set rules.

There are so many different kinds of cleavage, and we doers and viewers should keep that in mind:

It can have a fresh, clean and bright feeling when done right.
It could visually balance out an outfit.
I even think cleavage can highlight the intellectuality or cultural sophistication of the wearer.
There's powerful cleavage.
There's the natural-woman cleavage.
I once heard the phrase "stoic decolleté" referring to flat-chested women wearing ballerina-like very open tops. I liked that phrase.
I've seen many very elegant elderly European women wear deep v-neck knits with pearls and a long silk scarf for example to highlight a little cleavage. It's a very sophisticated look. (Sadly, Japanese women of a certain age would NEVER be seen dead doing that...)
...and on.

18-08-2006
fashion icon

^ Well thanks for the sympathy cause I wasn't sure if I had the right to be upset or not. I wasn't doing it on purpose, I wasn't flirting with any men or her husband. Granted I was at work in a professional setting, but I didn't mean any harm.

dlg

19-08-2006
V.I.P.

^ dlg, as long as you have a clear conscience, don't be unduly upset about what other people think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_<3_chanel
we may be here forever? ;]
calexico i'm also a fan of toe cleavage. haha
some people really hate it though, for some reason?
I don't HATE toe cleavage but I'd rather not have it. :p

With smaller boobs, you can get away with lower / more plunging necklines (except you gotta be careful that the necklines fit well) but with bigger boobs, you should cover up more especially since I feel that for those with bigger boobs, no matter how much you cover up, they (i.e the hormonally charged dudes) will still stare.

Lastly, if you feel uncomfortable, then it's too low because what's too low for one may not be too low for another.

Last edited by Bluestar07; 19-08-2006 at 06:50 PM.
20-08-2006
tfs star

While at work the other day a girl in her twenties came in with a bright pink lyrca plunging top. That was bad cleavage indeed. She must have been about a 40f or something. Why? What does it say about you other than something negative. You wouldn't see a man wearing a tiny pair of skin tight shorts while shopping so there's no excuse for women to do similar

20-08-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemova
How does Tara Reid always manage to look so trashy?
Hahaha white trash anyone?

20-08-2006
trendsetter

I find for big-chested women like myself, it's a lose-lose situation.

Too high collared shirts will emphasise the breast, thereby getting looks there anyway.

Too low, and the cleavage is seen.

Personally, I don't like to show too much because my country is still a rather conservative place, and people stare. However, I don't like to wear normal t-shirt collars. It really emphasize that part and make my M size body L, if you get what I mean.

What I always reveal, and is that cleavage or not, is the start of the 'river'. 1 inch is as far as I would go.

Yet, to some here, that's already trashy.

tfs star

Well, I am quite big chested, though maybe not as big as you..I have no idea. Anyway, I find v necks really good, they really open up your neckline and make you look slimmer. I find loose prints work well too. Normally, I wear slim jeans and stay loose on top. That's what works for me.

21-08-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by theridiculous
Too much cleavage? No such thing! Haha.
I'm sure all guys agree with you. :p

27-08-2006
rising star

Quote:
Hmm...wait for them to grow out of puberty (mental or otherwise), then try it again...]
Men grow out of puberty?
I`m just starting to show cleavage,I`ve never been comfortable with doing that it draws too much attention on me and I`m shy(is there a cure for that?),and I`ve passed the decency line a couple of times but usually without knowing it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cleavage