How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-04-2005
front row

The older I get the more risks I'm willing to take I think. You think when we were all in high school, for me at least it was about not being a gap knockoff, so I fell in this goth phase. In college, it was more about comfort. Now I have playtime and worktime so my wardrobe is getting more diversified. I fell in love with this tooled leather purse at a vintage store here and I love it, and I usually fall for trends in jewelry, but lately I've been shopping from a site called Naughty Secretary Club, which is all but trendy.

But man, it's hard not to be trendy where I live, you don't have the amount of indie shops you do in NY or other bigger cities.

04-04-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
add me to that category...
as soon as anything becomes too popular i don't really want to wear it anymore...i'll put it away and take it out again later...(i've just resurrected a fendi bag)

but it's strange...because i also don't want to look like a freak...
i want to be accepted...but i don't necessarily want to 'fit in'...

i want to feel free to express myself without feeling like an outsider...
i guess that's why i always loved nyc...because there is so much variety here and everything has always been acceptable...
That's what i like about brands such as Thomas Pink, for example. They can't become overtly trendy because it takes such a discerning eye to pick out their identity. Or their identity is much more subtly revealed.

A person familiar with Pink might be able to tell by the cut of the collar, or the pink gussets. No one would buy Thomas Pink for the attention of the mindless masses. They would buy it only for their own benefit (quality, comfort, personal style tastes) or at the very worst to have the respect of the very well informed. Which, generally speaking, requires more effort than merely wearing respectable clothes.

before you get angry let me just explain, i thought it one of those beedy eyed squirrels
04-04-2005
front row

I'm another that goes out of my way to avoid trends. If I buy a shirt, and somebody sees me in it and copies me, its like they're stealing my money because I might as well throw that shirt away. I admit though, its a lot easier for guys to be individualistic. With Girls, it seems like everything thats unique becomes a trend. Ugg boots looked like something nobody else would have... for about a month.

04-04-2005
backstage pass

For me I do not dress trendy as far as other people I am around are concerned. Where I live, most people in the suburbs wear brands like forever 21, abercrombie, and express. Not that I would never wear those brands, but not in the way that it is meant to be worn (I mean, I wouldn't put an outfit from there together the way others would). If I were downtown, or in a more cultured area, the way I dress would probably be considered more trendy. I swear I can tell people are talking about the way I dress sometimes...but I don't care b/c they have no fashion sense besides whats at the mall

I highly associate music with fashion, and my wardrobe more or less reflects the music I listen to and an expression of myself, which I relate to music...

04-04-2005
backstage pass

O.K. now there seems to be a trend to hate trends. Get over it, wear what you want and dont look down on others because they wear what they want. I follow trends somewhat. In 5 years I could still wear about 40% of my wardrobe..I have alot of basics and some eclectic or original pieces, I like to get basics and change the way they look with accessories. I dont have money to run around buying everything a celeb or model has on but I am conscious, if I see a million people wearing what I have then I dont want to wear it anymore, but thats how most people are.
People always want to rebel against fashion, do you...if you hate nautical stripes, dont wear nautical stripes. You dont have to make yourself out to be better than others or bash others because your trend is to not follow trends.

www.styleisagift.com
www.myspace.com/styleisagift
04-04-2005
backstage pass

^ who is bashing or making themselves out to be better than others?

04-04-2005
backstage pass

On some other posts, people are totally going bananas about people following trends. Its on this post a little as well but I felt the need to express that.

www.styleisagift.com
www.myspace.com/styleisagift
04-04-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego
O.K. now there seems to be a trend to hate trends. Get over it, wear what you want and dont look down on others because they wear what they want. I follow trends somewhat. In 5 years I could still wear about 40% of my wardrobe..I have alot of basics and some eclectic or original pieces, I like to get basics and change the way they look with accessories. I dont have money to run around buying everything a celeb or model has on but I am conscious, if I see a million people wearing what I have then I dont want to wear it anymore, but thats how most people are.
People always want to rebel against fashion, do you...if you hate nautical stripes, dont wear nautical stripes. You dont have to make yourself out to be better than others or bash others because your trend is to not follow trends.
I don't think anybody here was hating on people that follow trends, it seemed to me like people were just expressing their love for individuality and being different.

05-04-2005
V.I.P.

Okay, now there seems to be a trend in disagreeing with that post. Come on people, where's your individuality?

05-04-2005
etre soi-meme

freedom of choosing... no?
some adore slaving trends, some dont.. why not?
and yes, this is definately a new 'trend', individuality
can't see anything wrong with this
so take it easy san diego, feel free to do as you like, be who you are and let others be

softgrey* i dont have any trends books here, they are all at my clients offices
usually they separate trend forecasts in four categories and depending on the book, they develop colour combinations, shape directions, print and garment decoration ideas, according to trend.
The sociological explanations for the trends forecasted usually get presented 'live' in seminars, they never go down the books themselves and honestly most industrialists wouldnt care less to know where a trend comes from or why its there. They lack any motivation for understanding the 'why' behind a forecasted trend..
For me, thats all i care about.. the why and the how

A good example is the industrial revolution nostalgia forecasted for fw06.07.
Supposedly, people look back with nostalgia to industrial revolution eras as contrasted to the technological revolution era we live in. The trend is also connected with mass imigration, which actually been taking place recently
all over the globe. Main points of this trend, denim and indigo,
turn of the century mini-prints in a end-of-19th century mood, working class
shapes and lines.

05-04-2005
rising star

I've always distinguished between fads and trends, and some of what the people above are criticizing sound like fads rather than trends.

My personal definition is, fads are short, 1.5 seasons at max, and not worth investing in, for me (unless they're fun, like capris, boat tees, etc.) But usually, I'll leave the fads to the teens who don't mind buying very inexpensive faddish clothes (actually, some fads are pretty expensive. I don't do that). For me, the turned up jeans are faddish and I won't do it. Deliberately turning them up makes me feel like I'm trying too hard and style should look effortless, IMO.

Trends are a bit longer, about 2 years, (eg UGG boots, pashmina). Some trends you can't get around. Square toe shoes were around forever, IMO, and I hated them all those years, but bought them anyway. For a long time, tees were short, and now they're long, so I go along with that. I also won't wear colours that are obviously out of trend.

So basically, I'm not a slave to fads, but I do follow general trends. And hopefully I'm also developing my own timeless personal style.

Last edited by Venusia; 05-04-2005 at 08:28 AM.
05-04-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
A good example is the industrial revolution nostalgia forecasted for fw06.07.
Supposedly, people look back with nostalgia to industrial revolution eras as contrasted to the technological revolution era we live in. The trend is also connected with mass imigration, which actually been taking place recently
all over the globe. Main points of this trend, denim and indigo,
turn of the century mini-prints in a end-of-19th century mood, working class
shapes and lines.
I was afraid that would be the case. I've been trying to get my hands on some more of this stuff for the past year or so. Oh well, maybe in a year or so it will be out of favour and I can pick it up on the cheap

before you get angry let me just explain, i thought it one of those beedy eyed squirrels
05-04-2005
front row

Wait...is turning up the same thing as cuffing? If so, I wouldn't exactly call that a trend...as people with short legs and no patience for hemming have been doing it forever.

There are also things that are trendy now that I thank goodness are coming in! Long t's for example. I have a HEINOUSLY long torso and have NEVER been into the bare midriff look...so even before they were "in" I was going out of my way to find t's that covered just that extra bit.

I'm a jeans and t-shirt kinda girl myself though, so I've never really been a big trend follower...and I don't get out much or watch too much tv...so usually the first time I see something is on a rack at the mall.

Emi

05-04-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego
I totally agree, all these people are hating trends, then what the hell are they wearing? Everything is a trend in one way or another.

05-04-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moda
I totally agree, all these people are hating trends, then what the hell are they wearing? Everything is a trend in one way or another.
It's not a matter of being snobbish. My aversion to trends is that it would give people the wrong impression. I don't want people to think that I'm wearing such and such merely because it's popular.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
based, trends, wardrobe