How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-04-2005
tea time

i buy things that i find pleasing to the eye and what suits my body type. i dont intentionally follow trends but i may buy items of these clothing/accessories because i like them.

i dress for me and not the people around me

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/

05-04-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxshayman
It's not a matter of being snobbish. My aversion to trends is that it would give people the wrong impression. I don't want people to think that I'm wearing such and such merely because it's popular.
Just to play devil's advocate: Then, you aren't really dressing for yourself, you're dressing for other people. You do care about the image you project, as opposed to wearing something just because you love it.

My husband bought lots of stripey shirts this year, yes, everyone and their neighbour wear them, but they can be very attractive, and a welcome change from boring solids. Sitting trends out just because they're trendy stems from the same mindset as wearing things only because they're trendy.

Last edited by Venusia; 05-04-2005 at 04:22 PM.
05-04-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moda
I totally agree, all these people are hating trends, then what the hell are they wearing? Everything is a trend in one way or another.
There are more clothes out there than tweed and broaches and distressed jeans and ponchos... Sure everything can be seen as a trend in one way or another, but there are always the huge obvious trends, which is what I think most people here have an aversion to.

05-04-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusia
You do care about the image you project, as opposed to wearing something just because you love it.
It is possible to do both. I care about the image I project, I make an effort to not look like everyone else, and I still wear the clothes that I love. And some of them are, or have been, trendy.

There's a world of difference between wearing something trendy and following trends.

05-04-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN
There's a world of difference between wearing something trendy and following trends.
True, but my reply was to one who deliberately shelved clothes because others told him they were in right now.

05-04-2005
rising star

Quote:
Just to play devil's advocate: Then, you aren't really dressing for yourself, you're dressing for other people. You do care about the image you project, as opposed to wearing something just because you love it.

My husband bought lots of stripey shirts this year, yes, everyone and their neighbour wear them, but they can be very attractive, and a welcome change from boring solids. Sitting trends out just because they're trendy stems from the same mindset as wearing things only because they're trendy.
I must rubbish that statement. Avoiding trends comes from a need to be honest; chasing trends comes from wanting attention or acceptance or summat (for the most part). I may avoid a trend because I don't want people to think that I'm trying to fit in or be popular - and not because I want them to think I'm an individualistic person. For the same reason I may also avoid excessively original clothes. I like 'em but I don't want people to think I'm wearing it for alterior motives.

I don't care too much whether people like or dislike what I'm wearing, so long as they have their facts straight.

before you get angry let me just explain, i thought it one of those beedy eyed squirrels
05-04-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
True, but my reply was to one who deliberately shelved clothes because others told him they were in right now.
Oh, I know. I was just kinda throwing that out there.

05-04-2005
Proponent of Plaid

What I hate about trends is how they overtake everything. For a while you couldn't get anything but baggy clown pants for love nor money. Then it was crotch-dusting lowriders. Now it's those skinny-leg jeans that are NO GOOD for us big-legged jock girls.

About 8 years ago, I taught myself how to sew so that I didn't have to try to pick through racks and racks of the same-ol' same-ol' same ol' crap and find nothing I could conceive of spending money to wear.

One of my other big problems is that I get kind of anxious in shops and feel pressurized by the sales-staff's "may I help yous," and all of the clothes are made on a similar style, so pretty soon, I kind of go "sh*t blind" and can't tell one thing from another. It sucks so bad.

I can do way better in a thrift shop because everything is such a jumble and nobody's trying to get a commission off of me. I can just wade through all the junk in there, find something or not, and it's no big thing. Plus it is SO much cheaper!

I tend to disagree with trends pretty often either because the shape of the clothes is no good for my figure, or the colors are none that I like, or just that the styles aren't practical for my lifestyle. One of the reasons that I, for one, have welcomed the "lady-like" theme with open arms is because it is practical for women who have jobs where they need to be respectable looking, but still get around. A blazer, a pair of cord trousers, and a knit top pull together pretty decently, and work for front-desk work as well as slightly more active work (I actually do quite a bit of lifting and toting in the course of my workday). The lowriders and sketchy little tanktops are obviously no good for an office environment, therefore a couple of years ago, it was hard to find something youthful, yet respectable. Now, I see lots of cute stuff that is okay to wear to work.

06-04-2005
front row

I think there are people who find interesting ways to interpret trends- and then there are people who grab the most uninteresting quintessential items of the season and wear them all at once to prance round shopping malls. I try to fit into the former category. A case in point- I have loved broaches since I was old enough to play in my nana's jewellry box and have collected many over the years. When they started appearing, I thought ooh goody chance to show them off- but mine are unusual one-off pieces that have character and sentimental value- not gaudy ugly-as-hell oversized purple and hot pink rhinestones.

I think trends are fun- they give us direction and starting off points to imagine looks. I have broad ranging tastes, so I think that without trends I would be overwhelmed with choice. At least they give us inspiration and an anchor if we need it. And hell, without trends the uber-hip would have nothing to rebel against, or define themselves in opposition to, would they?

06-04-2005
V.I.P.

I don't think I conciously follow trends, at least I'd never buy something just because it was trendy - for example, I never bought uggs when they were "in" because I felt they looked unflattering I suppose I just wear what I feel like, although I probably have something "trendy" in my wardrobe. Can't think of anything right now though

front row

Not much really. Maybe it's because I'm a guy, and trends for men more or less are the same season after season, but nevertheless, my closet's about 60% basics and 40% "interesting" pieces. The "interesting" ones aren't necessarily trendy items, though. They're there to keep my look different.

06-04-2005
windowshopping

personally, i'm curious as to what the trends are and i'm always reading and looking at them.

but i really don't play into them all that much (i used to though). i'm very particular about what i buy now. i really do put a lot of thought into what it is i'm looking for now, just because i've wasted so much money on impulse buys or the "it" item that i never once wore. i think that when i tear myself away from the fashion magazines for a few days and really think about certain items, it widdles down the trendy items to the more classic items (for me at least). and when i'm in doubt, i call for reinforcements (aka my mother...she's brutally honest i love it).

06-04-2005
V.I.P.

its hard not to be influenced by trends...i think its more whats being stocked at the stores than the 'fault' of the consumer...its a matter of convenience and practicality. to go out of the way sometimes just takes too much effort, although i happily indulge in it. its good to keep in mind all this stuff is fleeting and wear what just feels good.

06-04-2005
scenester

i half agree. i love the part of fashion that is trends, but i hate following them.
very little of my wardrobe is actually up to date, although i long for lots of new "trend" items, i'd much rather just go out and buy loads of stuff that i find nice, that suit me and that go together - makes more sense to me that way. i hate this "in" and "out" business. makes me paranoid. lol.. but if someone wants to follow trends, more power to them. i just hope they have the cash to keep buying.

x

06-04-2005
V.I.P.

well I have clothes that would called "trendy" but I last wore them weeks ago. most of my clothes that I have had a while, are now classed as "trendy" by friends. Mind you my school is behind. I tend to express my self more with assesories then "trendy" clothes.
I have a basic walldrobe then i add "trendy" bits, then ditch them at the end of a season, or once more then 5 people i know have something simular.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
based, trends, wardrobe