How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-01-2006
front row

i agreeee too.....i mean trends are the way for business men to make us think we need these stuff to look good,SOOO untrue!

my wardrobe is full of my own trends collection of my own ideas of fashion and the rest is 20% trends

21-01-2006
V.I.P.

I go out of my way to avoid wearing trends-

V.I.P.

Very little. I tend to stick to basics that are good quality and I know look good on me, and throw in a trend here or there... like an IT bag or the sunglasses of the season.

21-01-2006
front row

i don't have much to spend a lot on clothes. if i buy something that's trendy i make sure i like it enough to keep wearing it when it's out. in general my clothes definitely aren't very trendy.

V.I.P.

I never change my overall 'style' to fit the 'trend style' if you know what I mean? Separate pieces is a different thing cos you can work our way around it into your own style, but buying a whole outfit, like head to toe boho, would be a definition of a fashion victim for me to be honest.

rising star

i'd say at least half of my outfits are based on trends, and i'm not going to apologise for that. fashion is just this amazing, constantly-changing thing, and we have three choices; ignore it, copy it or play with it. i choose to play with it, not to fit in but for fun and making myself look good in the process. also, i re-use a lot of items from past seasons when they fit the mood of the current season.

21-01-2006
barack the vote

To be quite honest, maybe only about 10%. I chose what looks good on me over what's "in". A lot of my favorite things aren't "in". Most of the trendy items I have are skinny jeans and Seven for All Mankind jeans and a Juicy hoodie, which I make my own by mixing it with unexpected pieces. Other than that, most of my stuff is Lacoste polos for school and Marc by Marc Jacobs, which I don't consider extremely trendy.

22-01-2006
windowshopping

I don't really know the percentage, but I chose the trend I like and when I mix that with the stuff I already have, it's still my own style. Honestly I don't care what's the trendiest, cause as long as I like it, it's cool:p

22-01-2006
V.I.P.

My objective would be 10% or less.... ...but I am sure it's a bit more....

22-01-2006
V.I.P.

Tricky question because naturally when I am buying clothes (and I go shopping OFTEN!), the shops I go to reflect trends that are about. For example Topshop at the moment are big into the Mod/Victorian look and looking ahead to spring, they have started the loose dress, nautical, minimalist trends. Vintage stores like Rokit often style their mannequins to replicate looks on the catwalk and of course department stores like Selfridges and Liberty stock designers, the originators of trends.

So obviously I am buying into trends when I shop, not consciously but what I am buying is 'current' or 'in' as it were. I'm not ashamed to say that I take note of catwalk trends and if I like it, I will buy something that reflects that trend but wear it in a way which fits into my existing wardrobe. I of course also have the wardrobe staples/classics that don't fall into any trend category. But I happen to be one of those ppl who like having a huge variety of clothes because my style is so varied and erratic and if they happen to fall into the 'trend' area, so be it. It's not so much of an issue with me.

I guess I *hope* that I don't come across as looking really faddy coz that really doesn't reflect my style either.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
22-01-2006
about to fall or fly

there's something to be said for buying current clothing but not wearing it in such a way that makes it "trendy."

so anyway, i'd say that about 10% of my wardrobe is deliberately trendy, but it only became that way after the trends came out and i already owned those things

scenester

A very short amont of mine is most of the time. Other times if I like something, I'll get it not matter what. Not to mention on stocking up on the past seasons deals, as when cargo pants were big and the ending trend of bo-ho skirts.

23-01-2006
trendsetter

I'm guessing that like myself most people on these forums are pix n mixers , people who might use certain trends but combine them with their own individual style.

When I was younger I'd always wondered about trend forecasting , I used to watch the clothes show (whatever happened to that programme ?) every Sunday as a child haha.

tfs star

Somewhere between 10-15%. The only "trends" i'd buy into are the kinds that I wouldn't be embarrassed of ten years from now. I try to buy clothes that would last a long time, as well as for versatility, which a lot of trends just don't offer.

23-01-2006
tfs star

i also work in fashion, but i don't necessarily think of "trends" as a pejorative term as most do. when you are always working with visual aesthestics, it is not unusual to have strong opinions about what looks fresh and what looks tired, and to have that influence how you put yourself together in the morning.

strong trends that get adopted by a significant population don't usually come out of nowhere-- they typically have strong roots in a particular subculture or moment in time. a trend that seems far-out or especially "trendy" to you may just be something you are not close to. just because it bears no relevance to you or does not resonate with you does not mean that it is not emotive and relevant to other people.

as long as my eyes and ears are open to contemporary life whether it be social, political, cultural, or artistic , and it influences what i wear, then i guess you could say that makes some of what i wear trendy. what actually gives fashion a bad name is when trends do not get processed or incorporated into one's style...then it looks purposeless and therefore "trendy" in the way that people understand the term.

if you ask me, to be trendy is a far less evil than to be totally apathetic about fashion. self-expression and risk-taking always seem better to me than nothing at all.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
based, trends, wardrobe