How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-01-2006
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrockRadar8
Somewhere between 10-15%. The only "trends" i'd buy into are the kinds that I wouldn't be embarrassed of ten years from now. I try to buy clothes that would last a long time, as well as for versatility, which a lot of trends just don't offer.
frock said it for me.. around 10% and i'm generous..
basically i avoid trends, hate wasting money on things i'll wear once
(eg. my oversized sunglasses, major mistake)

23-01-2006
Power to the 99%

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by "trends."

I would say some large percentage of my purchases are influenced by some trend or other ... that's almost a prerequisite to their being in the stores for us to buy. Even if you buy exclusively vintage (which I def do not), you may still be influenced by trends in what you buy--even unconsciously.

I do avoid things that I think are too trendy--although I like them, I haven't bought a bubble skirt (or any of the variations).

Once something joins my wardrobe, it's there to stay, until I wear it out, the cleaners lose it, etc.

23-01-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipkitten
Only about 10% of my wardrobe is based on trends - if that. But good taste is always in style. And in the end, if you're not setting trends you're following them.
Well Said

24-01-2006
V.I.P.

I only follow trends when I am comfortable to wear them.

But Im no trend whore.

24-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
My wardrobe consists of, let's see... basic tees, dresses, jeans. That's... very much it. You would never be able to achieve the "boho" look from the clothes I have.

I'm not trying to create my own personal look to differ from everyone else either, I just go with whatever floats my boat and don't pay attention to what's hot in stores.
^I'm the same.

windowshopping

Personally not too many trends catch my liking (although last season i got caught up in some regretable trends, but thats antother thread hehe). I enjoy the classic timeless style so much more. Plus it seems like a waste of money to buy a trendy $80 t shirt you're going to wear for 3 months anyways.

25-01-2006
scenester

Most of my clothes are trendy. I always choose the trends that look good on me and more or less my style is all about that - wearing trendy clothes my way.

25-01-2006
windowshopping

Hmm, I am indifferent towards trends. It's really that simple. I wear what I like. And what I like changes a lot so I wear all sorts of styles. At times, I might be wearing what is trendy, and I might be wearing what was "so last season." I lovew fashion, I love looking at trends, but it doesn't influence me in what I wear. It's just fun to observe.

25-01-2006
front row

I like this thread. I'd love to hear more about Lena's "hows and whys"....

I take note of trends when they happen and even try to do some novice forecasting of my own for fun, but I really don't apply trends to my wardrobe. For the most part, I don't use trends as a measure of whether I buy an item or not. As other people have so succinctly put it, I buy what I like--regardless of what's in at the moment.

I already have my own aesthetic that is study in contrasts: a combination of simplicity with a little bit of gaudiness/extravagance, mixture of male and female, and of course fun with proportions!

There are certain styles that I love, regardless of trends, and the thing that I do like about trends is that the mass production of my faves allows me a greater variety and greater opportunity to pick up items that are usually not sold.

26-01-2006
backstage pass

Aside from low-waisted pants, nothing at all. I wear what I like and what looks good on me.

27-01-2006
trendsetter

I've decided I like trends , it gives me an opportunity and an even bigger incentive to be creative with what I wear.

rising star

Mine is simple: I try the trendy clothing, handbags, or shoes and IF it looks good on my body type, I buy it.

29-01-2006
windowshopping

i buy things i really love... if its a trend or not doesnt matter to me... Unless i see everyone wearing it, espeicailly unfashionable people, then it kinda kills it for me...

windowshopping

Speaking of trends in general, it's easy to knock the general population for wearing them, but what about the fashion designers themselves?

Each season it seems like every single designer shows the same styles, the same fabrics, the same type of accessiories. It is as if they all hold a "Secret Government" meeting to decide what to make the new TREND. It gets to look like simple corporate decisions made for the one purpose of making a profit (which I am sure it all is actually).

Following any designer is like following a mindless mob. I'm not saying not to buy a new item you like, but don't you think the designers have become a large part of the problem?

Of course, we love to see something new that we connect to.

24-03-2006
windowshopping

you know, the usual story, i start to wear something and then it suddenly becomes a trend blablabla...
nope, I dont consider mysel a trendsetter, I guess I, just like many others get enough of the trends we keep seeing, and constantly search for something fresh.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
based, trends, wardrobe