How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-04-2007
front row

You know, sometimes I look at my closet and think, jeez I dont want to wear any of this anymore. But I don't think it is fair to base your hate/dislike/contempt for your wardrobe at such a young age while becoming fascinated with fashion magazines. Shoot, I would become depressed too cause I can't get my Burberry trenchcoat and Chloe shoes and Issey Miyake clothes.

I think a good alternative to finding clothes you like through lookbooks is to do something to the clothes you have. Tired of those pants? make them capris or shorts. Turn long dresses into tops. Learn to embroider. Just make your old clothes into something new.

OR if you have a friend or group of friends equally bored with their clothes. Get together and swap..they might have something you like.

At 16, I was basically dressed by my mom. I never had a say, then again teenagers now are sorta different. My mom would say no if I wanted something, as opposed to my younger sister who dressed much better at a younger age. I tried learning how to make my own clothes, some of them came out disasters, but it gave me the opportunity to make clothes I desired and wanted to wear. I taught myself how to crochet to have all sorts of neat accessories made by me too.

12-04-2007
trendsetter

This is pathetic for a tFSer, but I have no clothes. The few clothes that are wearable have gained my comtempt simply by having me wear them. I have some kind of self-hate syndrome with everything I grace. I may like something a lot in the store, but after I have worn it once, it becomes too 'me'. It's a pathetic thing to have to admit, but that's me.

I may as well just go out naked, because I don't really buy clothes for myself anymore. I have especially always been at a loss as to what I should wear in the summetime. Winter is easy--throw on a coat and noone will see what's underneath. Summer is riddled with too many daily choices, and there's no way to hide yourself. I've already begun to avoid going places because the whole affair of getting dressed ruins the mood.

I should just shop and shut up.

06-07-2007
V.I.P.

How to start the fashion thing
Hi there guys!
I'm writing this because I want to know how to START IT, I mean, I like reading fashion mags, I enjoy watching fashion shows and I know what is a trend and what it isn't. But I'm just normal, I don't look stylish, I don't look good. I'd like to be as trendy people I see in the street, or in myspace's, whatever.
And with the how to start question I mean too that those people I saw everyday haven't been like that forever: they've grown up on their style and become stylish.
So that's the point I want to get. Loose normal feeling, become well dressed.
I know it's SO hard to get it, but I'd like you to 'teach' me...
TYA.

V.I.P.

My style came with my identity.

Through the teens I've changed style several times, together with struggling to "find myself." I've dressed goth, I've dressed skater.

I found myself and my interests, and now I dress like I do. Because I believe that clothes, in my case, shows the personality. The way I dress is inspired by things I like. Books, stories, humans I admire, music I listen to etc.

So, it comes pretty naturally.

rising star

great thread !!!!

I am in the same situation. Although I have to say that I seem to find myself..it is very slow but there is a progress.....

06-07-2007
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate_Moore View Post
Hi there guys!
I'm writing this because I want to know how to START IT, I mean, I like reading fashion mags, I enjoy watching fashion shows and I know what is a trend and what it isn't. But I'm just normal, I don't look stylish, I don't look good. I'd like to be as trendy people I see in the street, or in myspace's, whatever.
And with the how to start question I mean too that those people I saw everyday haven't been like that forever: they've grown up on their style and become stylish.
So that's the point I want to get. Loose normal feeling, become well dressed.
I know it's SO hard to get it, but I'd like you to 'teach' me...
TYA.
I think it would be a mistake to "lose that normal feeling"!!

I think what you're saying is that you want to evolve your style, not become someone you're not ... at least, that's what I really hope you're saying

I would suggest that you put together an inspiration board with images that inspire you, that look like where you want to evolve to. That's the first step. Put it in your bedroom, and look at it every day. If you're considering changing your hair, include that. Include whatever seems relevant to style that you like.

At the same time, get a journal. Start making notes of what you want your style to be. Cast these notes in positive terms. If you want to start by saying what you don't like about your style now, that's fine. But I would sit down when you have plenty of time, and get all the negative stuff out of the way in that one session. After that, move on to the positive.

One thing I do is spend 20 minutes with my journal every morning. I write about how I want things to be. Most of it is not about style, but that could certainly be the focus for you since this is important to you. It doesn't have to be 20 minutes, but spend some time every day.

Those are the first steps. Once you have a clear, multifaceted picture of where you want to go, you're ready for the next step.

06-07-2007
fashion insider

It is actually KEY to feel normal looking in your style, it is called effortless. Whatever your style is, the base is a balance between your comfort zone and remaining that uniqueness.

Just like everything in life, you have to start somewhere, and that is what I call "the style nerve in the brain got stimulated". I can gurantee you that when you first start, you will dress bad; but that will change as time goes by. You will develope your style and get that balance between comfort and personality.

As mentioned by othe members, to find out what you like to wear, find everything and anything that inspires you, save them and look at them. It could be RTW runway shows, coutures, magazines, streetstyles, movies, cultures, books, history, music, nature..... the list goes on and on.

unknown
07-07-2007
trendsetter

I think the answer to being stylish is mostly to be yourself but like someone else said finding your identity is a process. I will take the liberty of being corny and say it's about the journey, not the destination.:p

This thread has brought up questions in my head of what is my style? how did it change? In middle school and high school I was such a serious bunhead and wanted to look like a dancer and look like NY. I wore so much black and was dressier, like lots of black turtlenecks, wool minis, black tights, sleek blk boots. Then I went to college in hawaii and totally shed that. Most of my friends worked at Abercrombie so I started working there too even though I'd never shoppped there in my life before and I was totally the blonde, tan, denim mini, flipflops, and cami AF clone. When I turned 21 I could go out drinking in clubs and bars instead of house parties at the beach so I started trying to dress more trendy and fun and creative to stand out amongst tons of strangers I guess and I started going to more concerts too. I know no one needs to read all that but I think it's helpful for me anyway to look back.

Now I think I'm trying to evolve again and trade in trends for things that really suit me regardless of what's "in". That's actually hard to do . I think I see too many pics in mags and online. It's really hard not to just keep shopping.

Last edited by pinksatin; 07-07-2007 at 12:25 AM.
07-07-2007
V.I.P.

AWWWW thanks a lot for your replies!
Well, I've got a journal, and I save many many pics on my PC but I still can change my way to dress. I mean, I always look like I dress the same. Large t-shirt, skinnies, and shoes (havaianas, ballerina flats, or Converse... somedays I wear heels, but not too much). I don't like short t-shirts, or tank tops, because I look bloated (I don't know if it's the right word, I mean like a bubble? lol) in them because of my breasts. The thing is that Victoria Beckham is always 'showing' them and I can't.
Then I don't like my tights so I don't usually wear shorts... So now in summer is quite difficult to wear skinnies, cause we're at 35șC right here.

Fashionista-ta, yesterday I took off all my old stuff from the wardrobe and gave it to charity. Now I've got less clothes but they're the only ones I think I'm going to wear.
Now I want to buy new clothes (cause here we're in sales and I can buy more) but don't know really what to buy.... I mean, I'd buy everything but then I wouldn't wear it so I don't know what to buy...

Last edited by Kate_Moore; 07-07-2007 at 09:55 AM.
07-07-2007
What fresh hell is this.?

^If I were you. I would take a good look at those pics that you have on your computer, see if there are some looks that are consistent in many of the pics. See if you happen to save a lot of pics with top with puffy sleeves etc. You get my point...

Also you could try to look for pieces that looks a bit like the stuff that you already have - but with a twist so that it still looks different from your basic pieces, but not too different. It could be another color that you would normally wear, it could be of another fabric, the shape could be slightly different, as could the sleeves.

It takes time to find out what you are comfortable in though. And it seems like you are most comfortable in rather basic pieces therefore I don't think it would be a good idea for you to buy stuff that are too 'loud'. It doesn't sound like you are ready for too much attention, if you know what i mean?

windowshopping

like people have already said, it really helps to have a pretty good idea of who you are and/or your persona (what part of your personality you want to show to the world). I always try to pick clothes that represent what I'm feeling and/or a certain stage I'm at.

It also helps to be aware of your body type and coloring so you know what will work and what won't. for example... my best friend is really tall and skinny (like she pretty much has 0% body fat) and she wears these long, scoop-neck tops that show off her long torso. On the other hand, I'm short (5'3") and really curvy, so those long tops make me look fat and/or really top-heavy (and if that sounds like a good thing, believe me, it's not ).

other than that, just try different things (even if they're way off the beaten track), and see what you like and what you don't....

and don't get discouraged by a few disasters at first, even if they're of gigantic proportions... you will find a look that's right for you eventually.

good luck

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe View Post
It also helps to be aware of your body type and coloring so you know what will work and what won't.
good point! I know this is gonna sound lame but I have this book which I love called "Color Me beautiful" and it was published in the eighties so the style of dress and hair and make-up in the pictures is humorous it's so out-dated, but the info is still really useful. It's about how people are divided into color categories by season (fall, winter, spring, summer) and has special tests using what colors looks best on you based on hair, skin, eyes, undertones, etc. That has at least helped me completely eliminate some colors from my wardrobe (like browns, oranges, olives, etc because I'm a winter). Maybe it will give you a little help too?

rising star

Glad you started this thread. . .I'm kind of in the same boat (I've been stuck in the 'ol jeans and a t-shirt rut for a while), but hopefully evolving into a more fashionable creature.

I agree with the style journal/board for inspiration suggestion, this has helped me a lot in the past. Also, I'd recommend taking things slowly. Don't rush out and buy a new wardrobe all at once. Allow your style to evolve at its own pace and slowly incorporate new things with it. If you try to do things too quickly you'll most likely feel/look uncomfortable, which is always out of fashion.

08-07-2007
front row

I dont think its something that just happens. Its something you grow into. Once you begin to buy your own clothes, with your own money, not your parents and dont have to worry about what your parents disapproving - you get to experiment in so many ways. You eventually learn what is right and/or wrong for you. You learn what you like. Favorite stores with clothes that flatter you. Style and essense is not an overnight thing baby.

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate_Moore View Post
AWWWW thanks a lot for your replies!
Well, I've got a journal, and I save many many pics on my PC but I still can change my way to dress. I mean, I always look like I dress the same. Large t-shirt, skinnies, and shoes (havaianas, ballerina flats, or Converse... somedays I wear heels, but not too much). I don't like short t-shirts, or tank tops, because I look bloated (I don't know if it's the right word, I mean like a bubble? lol) in them because of my breasts. The thing is that Victoria Beckham is always 'showing' them and I can't.
Then I don't like my tights so I don't usually wear shorts... So now in summer is quite difficult to wear skinnies, cause we're at 35șC right here.

Fashionista-ta, yesterday I took off all my old stuff from the wardrobe and gave it to charity. Now I've got less clothes but they're the only ones I think I'm going to wear.
Now I want to buy new clothes (cause here we're in sales and I can buy more) but don't know really what to buy.... I mean, I'd buy everything but then I wouldn't wear it so I don't know what to buy...
Well, I think we'd all be well advised to tone it down from Posh levels

I think if you go thru the process above, you will learn how to edit. So from everything you see, you will choose things that appeal to you more than the rest. Once you learn how to do that, you can do it in the store too. You may want to take a look at the 4-5 piece French wardrobe thread--it explains how to build a capsule wardrobe. But you need to have a starting point--and this process will give you that.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
basics, fashion, start, thing