How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-12-2007
V.I.P.

you have great style! and a very big smile!

07-12-2007
Fashionably Late

^ Agreed. You're very pretty and congrats on losing weight! You look fabulous (though I am sure you did before as well). I am sure that you will have fun experimenting and dressing your new body and maybe wearing some things you might have been self-conscious to wear previously. Have fun, girl! You earned it!

07-12-2007
scenester

First of all, you look fantastic - congrats! Anyways, one of the things I've done to develop my style is to create a collection of images of looks/styles I like. I'll go through fashion magazines and tear out my favorite ideas and save them all in a binder. Later, you can go through and see what styles you've selected and what the overal feel or tone of everything is.

Also, what are you aiming for? Do you want to look more sophisticated? Are there are any celebrities or style icons that you admire? Even if they don't have the same body type as you, you can still adapt their styles and take elements from their look and make it work for you.

07-12-2007
tfs star

You're adorable. You remind me of Patricia Arquette!

You want to look more mature, but that's so vague. What do you like? Who or what resonates with you? What sort of images (art, fashion, life, etc) give you the "love" feeling?

If you answer some of these, I can probably help you out.

12-12-2007
scenester

first of all i wanna thank everyone of you for your precious words and advices,I'm sorry i haven't gotten back to you sooner,but i was going delirious with my finals

@ KKnardi Thanks for your words,you made my blush

@ cosmogrl5 Thanks, I guess fun for me is a key word,i truly wanna have fun trying things i've never tried on before,i still don't find lots of things in my size but i hope to lose some more weight and finally go crazy with the multiple choices

@ jazspin
Thanks for your advices, getting scrap of what i like is just a fantastic idea,i've never thought of that.
I guess,yes I want to look more sospisticated and mostly i don't wanna look like a 13 years old girl who's been playing with her mom's wardrobe. I also wanna able to keep my style chic and classy. I also love accessories like long earring,beautiful rings ( which i suppose fit my very long hands ) so I was thinking if i like accessories i should be able to keep my clothing 'basic' so to say,with monochromatic stuff and squared lines ( I mean no fluffy skirt ) which should help my fatty body

I love Kate Winslet's style,I should definitely steal something from her

@ WheresMyUmbrella Thanks for your help as well. Regarding to what I love, I love a classic style with some vintage stuff here and there. As i was saying before i like kate winselt because she can keep it modern and classy most of the times,I like dresses usually better than two pieces combined together, i also like a little bit of 50s style ( a touch of Ava Gardner maybe?)

Thanks again to you all,karma is on the way

08-01-2008
tfs star

Oh my gosh! I'm sorry I forgot all about this thread. I'll post later today with advice.

09-01-2008
Power to the 99%

You might check out the thread called something like "Starting the fashion thing" ... there I recommend doing an inspiration board. I'm planning to make a built-in ribbon board on the inside of my closet door & move my inspiration boards there.

If you'd like to look older, you may want to think about your bangs ... I think they are making you look young (along with your rounded face & great skin). (Then about 10-15 years from now, don't forget to bring them back :p )

09-01-2008
scenester

Quote:
You might check out the thread called something like "Starting the fashion thing" ... there I recommend doing an inspiration board. I'm planning to make a built-in ribbon board on the inside of my closet door & move my inspiration boards there.

If you'd like to look older, you may want to think about your bangs ... I think they are making you look young (along with your rounded face & great skin). (Then about 10-15 years from now, don't forget to bring them back )
Thank you Fashionista-ta for dedicating me your time and adivce I'll be sure to look the thread you suggested,plus about my hair. Just this week I think I decided on cutting it on the shorter side,I love,love long hair but my hair needs to regenerate,so I'm going to cut..I'm afraid though
Thanks for complimenting about my skin,it's one of the few (iif not the only one ) thing i like about myself,cause I've never had a spot in my whole life,guess it's genetics.
Thanks again fashionista-ta,karma is on your way

09-01-2008
Frozen irony.

To look older you should try and go for darker colours, black, white, oatmeal and rather have accent colours as accessories.

When it comes to shoes heels can make you look older but it's really up to you and what you feel comfortable in.
You should invest in a pair of black slim trousers that flatters you also some ballerina flats always look chic.

09-01-2008
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphygenia View Post
Thank you Fashionista-ta for dedicating me your time and adivce I'll be sure to look the thread you suggested,plus about my hair. Just this week I think I decided on cutting it on the shorter side,I love,love long hair but my hair needs to regenerate,so I'm going to cut..I'm afraid though
Thanks for complimenting about my skin,it's one of the few (iif not the only one ) thing i like about myself,cause I've never had a spot in my whole life,guess it's genetics.
Thanks again fashionista-ta,karma is on your way
You're quite welcome ... and I need to be sure & have your skin in my next life

I know it's a bit of a big deal to cut long hair ... when I cut mine it had been ruined with a bad perm, so that made it easier. It always grows back, so don't be afraid I love having shorter hair, I've never looked back.

And btw, your list should definitely be longer than one thing ... I could make you a much longer list than that right now

12-01-2008
fashion elite

I generally go through magazines and tear all the looks i like then look at the common themes like colours or shapes or recurring items like dresses, jeans or skirts. Then i get the best of the items i can afford because i know i'll wear them all the time. And i stick to a colour palette because then they all go together.

Power to the 99%

I recommend this thread fairly often, so thought I'd bump it

02-05-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
I'm writing this because I want to know how to START IT, I mean, I like reading fashion mags, I enjoy watching fashion shows and I know what is a trend and what it isn't. But I'm just normal, I don't look stylish,
My friend always says that she wants to be more stylish but is too timid to "start" it because of the reactions she will get from people that know her. But I think that finding a style you love isn't going to be like "BAM" and happen over night, so there is no reason to think of the "start" as some huge barrier.

Like most said, styles always evolve, so just buy and wear what you like. My best advice is to buy clothes because you LOVE them, not because they're on sale/cheap/your favorite actress wore it/your friend thinks it looks cute on you. I've wasted so much money as a bargain shopper buying things I have never even wore once . Now I have no problem buying expensive things as long as I have thought about it for a few weeks and truly love it. Never rush into buy things!

Now that I reflect on my past, I kind of have to shudder at my phases. I had this Avril Lavigne pseudo-punk phase, where at the time I felt so cool. Then I had the eccentric phase, where again I felt so cool. Oh dear.

My personal idol said that he thinks "true style is incidental." I admit that I make fashion too much of a thinking activity and that I should relax a bit more and be less calculative. It's so hard though, because there is a thin line between effortless chic and having no style at all.

Quote:
The trouble I find with my lookbook (I have a physical and online one) is that I may love a look and it looks fab on the model, but I dont have a model's physique so it doesn't translate in the same way on me. It's very difficult to incorporate what you like and adjust it to look just as good on you.
Oh I know, my lookbook is filled with so many ideas that I want to incorporate into my wardrobe, but most of them aren't achievable economically or physically. Still, I always save pictures because I find that the photos represent more of an aesthetics than a certain way to wear a piece of clothing.

Last edited by rollagasper; 02-05-2008 at 09:49 PM.
03-05-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
"My friend always says that she wants to be more stylish but is too timid to "start" it because of the reactions she will get from people that know her. But I think that finding a style you love isn't going to be like "BAM" and happen over night, so there is no reason to think of the "start" as some huge barrier. "

Thing is, I think if someone turns up looking differently one day, unless they look like a car crash, the reaction would be good, surely? 'Wow you look amazing', 'you should wear dresses like that more often', 'I had no idea you had such good legs' etc.... it's good to provoke fresh reactions. Good style comes from taking time and chances to work out what suits you and being fearless within that.

I think a good way to shake up your style is to go shopping with a friend who knows you well, and whose opinion you really trust. Let her recommend stuff for you to wear, and spend the day trying on clothes outside your comfort zone - try on everything she tells you to, it's not like you have to spend any money.

I keep meaning to start lookbooks but I'm not sure they'd be very helpful to me. I'm not very good at scrapbooking, I just can't seem to get started, and I get neurotic about how they look [forgetting that they're just a means to an end]!

05-05-2008
Power to the 99%

^ You should try the ribbon board You never have to glue anything down ...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
basics, fashion, start, thing