How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-05-2008
V.I.P.

actually, i found my current denim brand of choice via pure accident on ebay. i wanted a pair of cords, found a pair of Meltin Pot cords in the Morgan model. arrived, fitted me like charm, i got mad shopping cravings to replace all my 20+ pairs of jeans with more MPs.

miracles happen

05-08-2008
Power to the 99%

bumping for fashionistaa

05-08-2008
Geometric Discharge

Seriously, just wear what you want to wear - think about what you love and desire and put it into clothes.
If this happens to be Schiaparelli-pink platforms, a vintage tweed mini-crini and a smile, so be it!

. . . Though lately I worry that I am summed up by the Quentin Crisp quote:

"Exhibitionism is like a drug..."

05-08-2008
V.I.P.

^ i'm totally opposite for exhibitionism

maybe that is why i find a lot of joy in small details .. esp hidden ones, just inside a jacket that no one else can see
even the weight and weave of a fabric , no one could know.. only the wearer can feel it

in a similar sense,
i don't like bold patterns such as herringbone ..
it becomes a stimulant for the eyes effect..
but rather herringbone weave done with a fine thread and a knotted one.. it's just for the skin

Last edited by gius; 05-08-2008 at 11:21 PM.
21-08-2008
Power to the 99%

bump for merging

29-09-2008
rising star

i love this thread

09-10-2008
scenester

I love this thread also because I recognize myself in many of your comments. I do spend a lot of time browsing the latest fashions and if you look at me you wouldnt think I actually dont care how I dress. I am having a tough time coming out of my safe shell of plain tops and jeans.
I do know what I like when I see it, especially on catwalks. In the stores, I am able to find single pieces that I like but I dont know how to create actual outfits. I find it difficult, if you are on a budget, to create outfits.
I did have a lookbook for a while, on my laptop, but I feel with the fashion trends always being updated, how can one keep up and what do you do with your last year's lookbook?
I know it's crazy that I worry about last season trends when actually my trend is plain tops and jeans haha
I am having a tough time recognizing staple items that wont go out of style for 2-3 years, because I am on a budget.If you have staple items, then adding a few items every month could help you keep up with the trends,right?
I am also finding frustrating that I dont have VERY much time because I am a full time student.So I want fast solutions to be fashionable ,which for an amatore I guess it's not possible, unless you are born with the fashion bug.
I have to admit, I never wear high heals,never skirts,never dresses even though I own a few but I always find flaws in them and this way I am never comfortable wearing them.
Some girls make it look so easy!! It's NOT !!!

09-10-2008
Power to the 99%

^ Well, I would say that the key is to realize that while trends come and go, your own taste is the constant. So there's nothing expired about the look book you put together last season or last year, because it represents your taste. The same is true of the things you choose.

It may be that your style is in fact "plain," or minimalist. Nothing wrong with that. You could take that and enhance it.

Suggest using our What to wear with it thread for suggestions that will help you learn to put outfits together. You could also look at/participate in one or more of our Polyvore threads. We have one where the whole outfit must cost less than $100 (or Euros, pounds, etc.).

23-12-2008
rising star

I just came across this Gala Darling article - How To Cultivate Your Own Personal Style - and thought it was relevant to this thread!
Quote:
Personal style is about the way you interact with other people in line, the way you stack your magazines, how much stuff you carry with you every day ó & what those things might be. Itís about your chosen references to pop culture, whether you dance in public & the way you fill in forms.
Everything you do is a declarative statement of your personal style, whether youíre aware of it or not.

23-12-2008
rising star

And a three part series from The Ongoing Project:

Part I
Quote:
When I first considered writing this series, it occurred to me that I should be writing about things like fit, colour, tailoring and trends, but as I considered the topic more I realized that none of these things are as important as discovering what works for you as an individual. The first key to style is simply knowing who you are and being comfortable with your decisions.
Part II
Quote:
What do you do for a living? What do you do for fun? How does this affect what you wear? You should always have your daily routine in mind when shopping for clothes as well as the weather where you live. These things determine what you are going to wear and how often you are going to wear it and there is no getting around either of them.

That said, I wholeheartedly discourage you from purchasing anything simply because it's practical and meets the needs of your lifestyle.
Part III
Quote:
I find that we can all fall into routines with our clothing choices, buying similar essentials year after year when older versions of the same thing wear out. ... Think of one item of clothing you always wear - are you a skirts every day person? Or a jeans every day person? Well, make a conscious choice to do the opposite for a week. See how that goes.
Remember the dress up trunk full of your mom's old clothes you probably had as a child? When you are trying to shake up your style, go at the world like it's that costume trunk. Fling it all over the room. Resist making the obvious choices or going for whatever everyone else seems to be wearing. Resist playing it safe.

23-12-2008
Power to the 99%

^ I don't know about this "I wholeheartedly discourage you from purchasing anything simply because it's practical and meets the needs of your lifestyle." It should also be aesthetically appealing to at least some degree, of course, but there's nothing wrong with things that are practical and meet the needs of your lifestyle. Whereas things that are impractical and don't meet the needs of your lifestyle ... there's not a lot to be said for them. Everything's better for being both useful and beautiful.

27-12-2008
trendsetter

I found this article quite useful, if not a little un-original: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...obe-rehab.html

scenester

I've been struggling with discovering my style as well. I traditionally have been sticking with button down shirts, jeans..nothing special. Now I'm obsessed with bright colors...we'll see where this leads.

03-03-2009
windowshopping

same problem as everybody else, i have absolutely no idea what i'm doing when it comes to fashion
i've spent ridiculous amounts of money on clothes only to find i have nothing to wear in the morning, so i will just throw on sneakers, jeans, and a hoody
when i first purchase something, i love it, after a while, i absolutely despise my wardrobe because i can't put anything together, any help is appreciated!

05-03-2009
V.I.P.

i read your post and thought it was a girl and had so many ideas.. but i see you are a guy. i was going to suggest watching a lot of interesting films, new and old ones and maybe you will find something you like and create a board out of it, a collage as your muse...
literature can spark things too. or just thinking about life in general, what do you want in it, what do you want your clothes to say about you or how do you want your clothes to fit into your everyday life

it helps a lot also if you think about this and can design the clothes.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
basics, fashion, start, thing