How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-02-2004
backstage pass

How to wear skirts with volume
Is it even possible not to look big in circle & fuller skirts? i've been eyeing them for a while, tried them on, they look cool from the side, but from the back... I have a curvy body, with slim legs & arms, and always go for a straight, sleek look. But lately i'm getting tired of it. Any suggestions on how to wear this "volume" look without looking like three sizes bigger? Thank you!

27-02-2004
front row

If you figure it out, tell me!!

27-02-2004
flaunt the imperfection

pick up any copy of Marie Claire or Glamour... they have a section on that stuff every month so does Oprah, Simple Chic, Lucky...

27-02-2004
Stitch:the Hand

I'm confused,because to my knowledge I was always under the impression that volume was this up and down play with fabric?

I don't know what to tell you,really as tips aren't my area of expertise. Maybe you could keep the more narrow shilouette but lean towards pieces with more texture and detail? Might have the same exuberant effect. If that's what you're trying for

27-02-2004
no photos, no photos

I think it really depends. This shape tends to make the waist look smaller. So maybe that's making you appear curvier? You could try skirts that are slimmer at the waist and have a flare closer to the hem. Or just an exagerated Aline shape that has a little bit of a bell shape. I think a wrap skirt would work well too.

backstage pass

well, let me show you exactly what i'm referring to in these images.
i know about magazine suggestions, they boil down to "if it makes you fat, don't wear it"
may be i can try different fabrics, not shiffon? also, solids are probably better than patterns, but if i like a patterned skirt, than which shape would be most flattering?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Krizia.skirt.jpg (12.9 KB, 3 views)

27-02-2004
backstage pass

Another image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NanetteLepore.bluetop.jpg (18.3 KB, 3 views)

27-02-2004
Procrastinator.

If you're worried about looking "big," go no longer than knee-length in full skirts.

Also, experiment with different sizes/cuts to see how this style of skirt looks fastened around different parts of your torso. A skirt that starts at your natural waist might be more or less flattering than a skirt that starts below the belly button.

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie
27-02-2004

So,basically you just want a little more 'swing' in your skirts?

I would take Boogie's advice,for sure.

27-02-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by Serena@Feb 27th, 2004 - 8:07 pm

i know about magazine suggestions, they boil down to "if it makes you fat, don't wear it"
AND ... isn't that basically what it All BOILS DOWN TO? no one can tell you what exactly is going to work on your particular body...contrary to popular belief, we are not all created equal in that dept ...and without even knowing what you look like, it's really a waste of time to even try... you're just going to have to try a bunch of stuff on and see what works best...I suggest Club Monaco-i think they do amazing knock offs in the styles you're referring to and they are all very flattering...

27-02-2004
backstage pass

Thanks guys! I'll figure something out eventually.

Softgrey, of course i'm not relying on people who never saw me to tell me exactly how to wear things. I actually have a friend who' a professional stylist, and she still rarely has any suggestions! I'm just looking for overall direction & want to hear how
others are doing it.

28-02-2004
Proponent of Plaid

My take on full skirts in a nutshell:

It is possible to wear a flattering full-circle skirt. Get one that is cut in gores, so that it is fitted through the waist and upper hips, then flares out sharply about 6" below the waistline.

If you opt for pleats, get pleated skirts that have the pleats stitched down over the hipline, releasing just below the fullest point of your hips.

If you end up getting a gathered skirt, get one in a crisp fabric, like taffeta or cotton percale, so that the bulk is obviously structural. Wear a very fitted blouse above it.

The length of your skirt makes a big difference, too. Knee-length can be murder on us women with muscular legs. Ballet-length/tea-length tends to look particularly awkward on women with extremely skinny or pudgy calves--best look for someone with shapely, yet slender legs. Short and full can be cute, but it can also look like those insane mini-crinis from the 1980s, so consider what look you want to reference.

I love fuller skirts, myself, because I don't have very curvy hips, so it evens out my figure a little bit. I rarely wear a skirt that isn't at least a-line, and most of my long skirts are swirling gored affairs (rather Gibson Girl in intent and overall silhouette).

backstage pass

Thank you so much, As You like It! This is very helpful.

28-02-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by Serena@Feb 27th, 2004 - 10:59 pm
I actually have a friend who' a professional stylist, and she still rarely has any suggestions!
actually-i'm a stylist/fashion editor,too...i guess i'm about as helpful as your friend... i just think it's a tough question to answer..and i have to confess to being responsible for some of those magazine pages on how to wear things...they are always so hard ... it's hard to give general advice because everyone's so different...i've stopped doing those things now...

anyway, by the pictures you posted, it looks like you've got good taste and don't really need much help...am i right?!

28-02-2004

And especially when your expertise is dealing with the mere visual aspects of style and dressing as opposed to the norm of just dressing people or giving advice. It is indeed a bit more difficult. But like you said,we do know good style when we see it and as far that,I'm sure that you'll find something.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
skirts, volume, wear