How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-07-2004
Proponent of Plaid

I do agree with the article that one shouldn't throw out one's entire look every time the major shape of fashion changes. Hell, I still have and wear some of my favorite items of clothing from high-school, and my graduation date is coming up on 10 years ago. I have never participated that actively in the recognised trends, but rather bought pieces that amused me (I have a penchant for anything with good pointy lapels and/or bright colors) I also have a lot of vintage (multiple eras) and a lot of my own clothes are home-made, because I am good at sewing.

I don't think my overall look could be distilled into a pithy phrase, but I guess I manage to keep current enough, while not being a slave to the trends, and mix decades enough thematically that I don't look like I am stuck in 1950 or 1974 or 1996, or whenever.

31-07-2004
stories everywhere

I hate when people look dated, do you think its because they go on a spree and then just forget to update? I dont like going by firework trends, but keeping your look modern isn't easy either.

front row

This is a good article...when you're young it's so easy to be sucked into the vortex of cookie-cutter style, where everyone is striving to be this teenybopper ideal and nobody really has any faith in their own distinctive look. This was a good reminder that, as I think Judy Garland or someone said, it's better to be a first rate version of yourself than a second rate version of somebody else.

31-07-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by MayaPapaya9@Jul 31 2004, 08:54 AM
it's better to be a first rate version of yourself than a second rate version of somebody else.
[snapback]319044[/snapback]
great quote maya

31-07-2004
backstage pass

i can imagine how much cheaper and easier it would be to have just 1 style..but how BORING as well there's 2 types of pple the ones with the same style and style chameleons, it's sort of mean to be calling the second type not as good as the same personal style after all fashion is about changes and some of us need that everyday

31-07-2004
etre soi-meme

oh no, its not cheaper -or easier- at all keeping a certain style .. honestly it's not

10-08-2005
scenester

I definitely think it's not easier to stick to one style, especially if you're immersed in fashion culture. It's so easy to give into trends and so much harder to ignore them and create your own look. That, I think, is the key to looking timeless.

10-08-2005
backstage pass

It depends on my mood, I have all sorts of clothing styles and just mix it up. I know people are sick of the boho/vintage trend, but to me it's not a trend because I've dressed that way for a long time now.

11-08-2005
fashion icon

Good article, thanks for posting Tangerine...i'm glad this got bumped.

I stick to pretty much one style, IMO my one signature look is subtle from the colors of my clothes to the details on them yet still sleek and managing to stand out from how I wear them. When I shop for clothes, I look for items that are normally so basic they can be considered timeless because they seem to be staples in everyone's wardrobe, yet I try to make it refreshing by looking for more striking details or cuts in otherwise mundane pieces. Some people might say my wardrobe is boring because I don't follow trends or wear things that are instantly identifiable or flashy, but if looked at on a positive note, i guess you could say going simple, discreet and toned down is my way of staying modern!

Last edited by Fade to Black; 11-08-2005 at 10:47 AM.
11-08-2005
slightly dizzy

^ That's pretty much my philosophy as well!

11-08-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Indeed, she is so drawn to the elegance of the 1950's that she would "literally wear a hat and gloves if it didn't make me look like a twit."

I was just thinking this morning that, if I had them and could get away with it, a hat and gloves would suit my outfit!

I am another who goes for the signature look, in part because I read a wonderful book by the late Olivia Goldsmith & the above-mentioned Amy Fine Collins. ("Simple Isn't Easy.") I think the hardest part of the signature look is some elements of your look will inevitably be considered "out of style" at some point, and you just have to suffer the insults until they're so out of style that people forget to insult them. For instance, huge gold hoop earrings have been part of my style since 1987! When they are in, I buy them every time I see them. When they are out, I hate hearing remarks about their "sleaziness," but wear them regardless.

Soon, they will be so far out of style, people won't think to insult them anymore ... of course, they'll have moved on to insulting some other part of my wardrobe!

12-08-2005
Power to the 99%

I really like the idea of personal style ... sometimes women who are notable in this respect are physically distinctive, as Amy Fine Collins is--Diana Vreeland the same. I know I have it to a certain extent ... even though I have recently evolved my style again, some things remain constant, one of which is an appreciation and demand for detail/some form of embellishment. A liking for a certain type of bold statement.

I'm not sure I want to give up change to the extent I would need to to create this type of personal style. I also don't have a clear idea of anything further I'd want to create. I like leaving the possibility of change open ... I think that making a change in your appearance or your home can help move other changes in your life forward. Perhaps I would be more inclined to do this if I were more perfectly content :p

Btw, I notice Diana Vreeland was a Leo--a fixed sign. (So am I ... I guess not quite as fixed ) Be interesting to know whether other women with fixed styles are fixed signs as well. I have found that people who stay at a single company for many years tend to be fixed signs.

12-08-2005
Frozen irony.

I do change my wardrobe quite often, im influenced by things around me, you know, in different phases of life you want to dress different, depending on mood, city you live in, people around you etc..

Im not really feeling this season's mood for preppy, tailored, sleek look, but i find a way to adapt it into my own wardrobe, i do respect women with an own style, with a signature look.

It can easily become boring though, that's how i see it.

13-08-2005
tfs star

I pretty much have a "default" signiature look for many years...hairstyle a bit like Kate Moss or Sienna except longer and black/brown, and black extended eyeliner on top lids.

My fashion "default" has also been more "bohemian" since I was a child...embroidery, handicraft, cotton, gauze, vintage, and longer, softer, flowy silouhettes. Kind of runs in the family and fits my lifestyle.

I do enjoy wearing different looks though; preppy, classic, glam, rocknroll, girly, etc., depending on TPO.

I think most people who know themselves tend to have a more or less signiature look, whether they are aware or not, and some signiatures are more distinct than others.

13-08-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande
I think most people who know themselves tend to have a more or less signiature look, whether they are aware or not, and some signiatures are more distinct than others.
I totally agree here, I think it's a nice philosophy and not be sucked into the seasons trend. It's also nice to experiment with different looks, I'm still young and curious, but I think that article is aimed at people like Jessica Simpson, always chasing after the newest it thing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sticking, style