How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande
I pretty much have a "default" signiature look for many years...hairstyle a bit like Kate Moss or Sienna except longer and black/brown, and black extended eyeliner on top lids.

My fashion "default" has also been more "bohemian" since I was a child...embroidery, handicraft, cotton, gauze, vintage, and longer, softer, flowy silouhettes. Kind of runs in the family and fits my lifestyle.

I do enjoy wearing different looks though; preppy, classic, glam, rocknroll, girly, etc., depending on TPO.

I think most people who know themselves tend to have a more or less signiature look, whether they are aware or not, and some signiatures are more distinct than others.
I like the way you put that ... very nice. I think you're right. And if you have a highly developed/refined sense of style, it's bound to show.

Can't figure what you mean by TPO?

14-08-2005
trendsetter

Thanks Fashionista-ta!

TPO= time, place, occasion. And how I'm feeling that day too, I guess.

24-07-2008
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci_mama View Post
I do change my wardrobe quite often, im influenced by things around me, you know, in different phases of life you want to dress different, depending on mood, city you live in, people around you etc..

Im not really feeling this season's mood for preppy, tailored, sleek look, but i find a way to adapt it into my own wardrobe, i do respect women with an own style, with a signature look.

It can easily become boring though, that's how i see it.
Do you think umm ... black might be a signature for you?

24-07-2008
V.I.P.

I have a distinctive style that I can't escape just because what attracts me is what defines it.. really can't picture myself buying something to fit an image rather than my own pleasure.. I suppose the influences are what often fade, come stronger or get replaced by others for me but they hardly change my style.. these influences tend to derive from things that fascinate me for long periods but eventually stop, I'm obsessive on many degrees I guess.. I can stick to the same pair of shoes everyday for MONTHS if I truly love them.. put one determined song on repeat in my ipod and keep it like that for weeks and don't listen to anything else because that specific song is the only sound that will make me feel good.. same for food.. people.. whatever that disorder is called, I don't wish to know, I just know I get like that about everything and everyone and I can perfectly picture myself liking.. I don't know.. something that's characteristic of a certain prototype (a cowboy chain, sailor ribbons, you name it) and adding it to my outfits that for some people will be nothing but my costume of the week but a part of my world is spinning around it. it's a dangerous attitude maybe.. I hope it'll change one day.

Last edited by MulletProof; 24-07-2008 at 10:49 PM.
25-07-2008
Geometric Discharge

You have to be completely comfortable with your style - style is natural; you shouldn't have to deliberately go out of your way to create one, it's an outer expression of who you are. Only in the past few months I've become completely confident of what my style is and what it always shall be, and I know that noone can ever change how I want to dress.
It came extremely naturally to me, and only now I can see where it comes from - I have several sides to me, one is very stiff and cold, and another is very relaxed and talkative, each side is represented by the mixture of formality and informality. I wear a tie around my neck instead of through the collar of a shirt, I wear cufflinked shirts with ripped jeans, I wear t-shirts with cumberbands and I've been planning to buy some DMs to match a suit I have.
I am completely confident that the only thing that could have an effect on what I wear is the temperature outside.

27-07-2008
Frozen irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Do you think umm ... black might be a signature for you?

I think that might be true... today I wore a pair of electric blue shorts and I almost felt unwell ....I feel relieved now that I have changed oh well I gave the 'colour thing' a try.

I also can't stand to many accessories at once ... I get this itch..like there is to much.. I think I also need simple lines in my outfits..
I need something black in my outfit for it to feel like 'me'.

I have had a hard time translating my style into summer-mode ..but I do feel inspired this season..

Mulletproof you really put it so beautifully, when I love something I can become obsessive over it..like shoes and wear them constantly, you just don't feel like wearing anything else..

28-07-2008
V.I.P.

style is not just clothes!!!!
it express your likes and dislikes... it is part of you. clothes are just a weapon, but style is in you.

28-07-2008
tfs star

i dont have anything signature about my style. and how my style has been throughtout the many looks i've picked up, it's all completely drastic.

28-07-2008
Power to the 99%

^ I have found that sometimes I haven't recognized my signatures. I've had people come to my house (when I was younger) & immediately recognize decorating signatures that I wasn't even really aware of

30-07-2008
front row

My 'signature' used to be full on jewellery. Like, way too much. I still really love my unusual jewellery, but I've stopped wearing so much of it. Now it's either a nice handbag, lipstick, or a flower in the hair.

30-07-2008
backstage pass

I've never been much into following trends, though I have noticed that some things I always did were eventually copied by others in school despite them probably being embarrassed to admit they liked the style of the 'dorky loner'.

I much prefer sticking with my style rather than chasing fashion trends. Though I think plenty of people misunderstand 'sticking to a style' as literally wearing one outfit in different colours all the time. That isn't the case at all. I believe people can have their own style despite changing it along the way or having several 'looks'. I pick popular items to complement my style and shun other trends that I find hideous, that don't suit my body type or don't blend with my style and personality well. I don't see how it can become 'boring' if you can always add to your style.

For example, the high-waisted trend. This trend is recommended for my body type (petite and slim), but I simply don't like it and find it ugly on myself. So I don't wear it and I stick with what does work for me and what flatters my body whether others think it's 'in' or not.

Even though I do not rush to buy everything that is popular at the moment I still get plenty of compliments on my style whether I'm casual, cute or dressed to impress. Fashion is fleeting, but style is timeless. Trendy items will be 'old news' quickly, whereas a stylish piece will always be 'in fashion' no matter what time it is.

02-08-2008
V.I.P.

i have proper add style its all over the place.. and i must admit i am a bit of a trend whore.. but even when im buying into every new trend i stick to a few rules,like the same colour scemes, types of fastenings, lengths oftops and cuts etc. just updating them tofit in with trends etc. all though my friends all say i have my own style and they say they can always pick things out for me they think are "my style"

02-08-2008
rising star

I think, if you found a look that is suitable for you in your teens and will remain suitable for you for the rest of your life, more power to you. However, I for one would get restless and bored with one look that I keep constant year after year, decade after decade.

25-08-2008
rising star

^
kinda agree with that XD i've beem wearing dark colour since im a kid @_@ 14-15 while i should be wearing colours. and it just get worse as time goes by.

now there's only 3 main colour in my wardrobe, black, white, and gray. with a bit of blue and other muted colour here and there. but i do love it.
i feel incomfortable in colours @_@ especially pink! omg... my mom forced me into it once and i feel like dying.

and this year f/w collections has been heaven for me. my style always lean to the goth, punk, and kinda broken-ish side for years. and i believe it'd still be like that for many years to come.

30-08-2008
tfs star

I would have to say that my style is pretty eclectic, but no matter what it usually is pretty lady-like. I wear lots of dresses and love vintage handbags. I look very instyle when the old lady look is popular, but probably kooky when it isn't, but this is definitely my look, and I will probably always love it

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sticking, style