How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-11-2008
front row

hair and makeup can change your whole look without leaving your daily-wear. if you wanna change your style, then just check fashion blogs (checking out street style is one of good ways you can try) and get inspired. have fun with fashion!!

07-11-2008
doldrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprettycat View Post
I think the first thing you should do is get a basic wardrobe. Kind of like the The 4-5 piece French wardrobe thread thats going on. It will always be classic, versatile, and manageable.
This is a good tip. I'm using this as a guideline.

26-05-2009
windowshopping

Refining my style
Thinking of changing my style up. I'm thinking girly with a rock n' roll twist.
Any suggestions? Links would be appreciated

26-05-2009
trendsetter

Well I think Julia Restoin-Roitfeld has something like this style. You can also look at the pictures of Paris Vogue Girls, they have pretty rock'n'roll-ish style. You know, monochromatic/dark look, killer shoes, leather pants, everything simple and stylish with a rock'n'roll edge. Then you can add girly pieces and try to mix it with that monochromatic look. For example: flowy, girly skirt, high heels and black top with black jacket.

I'll search my computer and try to post pics, 'cause I don't know if you understood what I mean

rising star

Oh I'm in the same boat! And I'm actually frustrated right now..
I don't really know how to shop! I used to buy lots of stuff that at the store would look amazing and some time later in my closet I would find it so blah, so I stopped shopping w/o doing a lot of thinking first. But my thinking is resulting in nothing, I don't know if I like something and I leave the store with my hands free :/

how do you guys shop? Is it relying on your personal taste or do you go for trends? Do you repeat your clothes all the time bcuz you love them so much? Is it important to match? Do you regret buying clothes when you decide you dont actually like it anymore?

11-07-2009
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambam View Post
I think that it should be done slowly. Just start buying what you love and integrate with your older pieces. Don't rush it -- a) Rushing will only cause you to buy something you later realize isn't for you, b) Taking it slow gives you plenty of time to process yourself and your style and to be sure of what you buy, piece by piece.

Have fun!
Totally agree - don't do anything silly like forcing some different style upon yourself - only buy what you like, only look how you want to look. You can merge in being fashionable later.
God I want to be someone's stylist.

11-07-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by madchenlieben View Post
I don't really know how to shop! I used to buy lots of stuff that at the store would look amazing and some time later in my closet I would find it so blah, so I stopped shopping w/o doing a lot of thinking first. But my thinking is resulting in nothing, I don't know if I like something and I leave the store with my hands free :/

how do you guys shop? Is it relying on your personal taste or do you go for trends? Do you repeat your clothes all the time bcuz you love them so much? Is it important to match? Do you regret buying clothes when you decide you dont actually like it anymore?
I used to buy a lot of things thinking that they are what I wanted, and I would figure out a way to wear them - but more often than not I would put them in my wardrobe and not wear them. So I cleared out my closet a few months ago and got rid of all those pieces that I bought on a whim and never wore (in a way I regret buying all those pieces) -- but now I am left with things that I find suit me, and I enjoy wearing.

I have no difficulty buying multiple items if I love them - for example I have about 5 white racerback tanks from Thomas Burberry because I wear them a lot and I love them I also tend to stick to a few select brands when it comes to knitted pieces, whereas my skirts/dresses/trousers are all different designers.

I like my outfits to match in terms of colours along with accessories, but that is a personal thing, and many might not like it. It is important to be comfortable in the clothes you are wearing, so that at least it can give a person some more confidence.

Try not to be too frustrated, just take a good look at what you have in your wardrobe; what do you wear and enjoy wearing? Are there pieces that you have never worn - why have you not worn them? Are there pieces missing from your wardrobe that you may be able to incorporate with things you already own?

My advice is not to be disheartened that you come home from shopping empty-handed, sometimes it is best because you know at least that you have not just bought something just for the sake of buying it...

As for how I shop, sure there are times that I see a particular trend and think that I like it, but a lot of the time I also recognise that the trend would not suit my features/figure/match the rest of my clothes etc.

I firmly believe the evolution of one's personal style takes a while, it does not simply happen overnight

11-07-2009
fashion icon

im just trying to be more conscious on what i wear instead of just throwing on whatever is in eyesight.

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by madchenlieben View Post

You might be interested in the 4-5 piece French wardrobe thread ... it describes how I and some others shop, at any rate I do tend to 'repeat' my clothes ... I guess it depends on what you mean by match? I think it's good not to clash ... Since I've put deliberate thought into my wardrobe, I haven't had many regrets.

11-07-2009
rising star

changing your style is like an ongoing proccess, you constantly aquire a new taste for clothing....the rule would be try them all if you want....but never forget your personal style

12-07-2009
front row

People can also change your views on clothing. Recently in an elevator, a woman asked if I was thirteen years old (I am 5'8, about 114lbs and 18 years old) and I am convinced it was my clothes. So now its time to buy some more adult basics like black sailor pants and pencil skirts in black and nude. However instead of hitting up an American Apparel, I think I will invest a little more into these pieces..

16-08-2009
oh! darling

^That reminds me of my hair... my mother says when I style my bangs blunt, I look younger. A simple swoosh to make 'em side swept makes me look much older. I don't know how that works out.

I like going to stores and buying items that I'm attracted to instead of trying to buy items that fit the style I'm looking for. I am torn between buying things I like than buying things that, once accumulated, will be the wardrobe of my dreams. I don't know if I would end up with a new style if I continue to buy things I like.

Does anyone know how to change a mind set when shopping? I saw a lovely black blouse with a random zipper across the front, but I knew that the sophisticated/pretty style I'm going for can't pull that off. Ideas?

Power to the 99%

^ I would ask myself why the style I'm going for conflicts with what I like. In my case they are one and the same

And btw, I think some people must be half blind. My sister and I are 5 years apart and look nothing, and I do mean nothing, alike. (Me: chestnut hair with brown eyes. Her: ash blonde with blue eyes. Features: completely different. We are about the same height--and both female I look like both my parents, she looks like neither.) But we used to get asked if we were twins all the time. I wouldn't go making a lot of changes based on some random woman in an elevator unless she spoke some amazing words of wisdom

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 16-08-2009 at 11:07 PM.
18-08-2009
tfs star

Agreed, people can be more than half blind. I was with a much younger girlfriend (early twenties), when this idiot guy asked if she was my mother. We pretended not to hear...

papa_levante, why are you going for a style you don't like?

18-08-2009
oh! darling

Quote:
papa_levante, why are you going for a style you don't like?
Did I say that? I read what I wrote again, but I can see where you'd read that.

Technically, I can't trust myself to buy the pieces I need and I found that the things I don't want are the things I really need. For example, American Apparel pieces that are like undershirts, shirts, etc. in general.

Being a new style is difficult since I don't consciously know what I'm looking for. I'm in a mind set that knows what I'd like to try on at a store, but those are the things that will get me further away from the style I'd like to encompass.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
style, time