How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-11-2009
backstage pass

for the other flat ladies looking for well-fitting bras, as far as cheaper things go, i'm a big fan of those stretchy american apparel bikini + racerback cotton bras, and for still-cheaper-than-eres-or-agent-provocateur, calvin klein actually is awesome for smaller sizes, and definitely has bras down to 32A. (hello, kate moss has never really been the poster girl for cleavage.)

i find it's really difficult to find bras in my size that aren't a.) just lace/stretchy or b.) super padded uber pushup types. (like, ok, i know i'm flat and all, but sometimes i don't want nips OR cleavage but still want a lil' support, why do we not make bras that will just FIT?) and most of the Calvin Klein smaller sizes are still just 'regular bras.' thick and a lil' bit of wire, but no extra pads or contraptions to squish you together into something totally unnatural.

i've got a few of these: http://www.calvinklein.com/product/i...ductId=3569249 and http://www.calvinklein.com/product/i...ductId=3171552 and they're quite decent.

04-11-2009
front row

After reading many of you ladies on here talking about/praising Victoria's Secret, I was happy to come across a page where a couple of you said you thought it was cheap quality!
I agree!
I live in Canada so we don't have VS or most of the other places you ladies spoke of (I frequent the Agent Provocateur site though...drool...) but on my last trip to Buffalo, I went into VS and was very disappointed.
SO pricey, and not the GREATEST stuff (for the price, I mean).
Our La Senza is cheaper, and has pretty much exactly the same stuff that VS has.

05-11-2009
THE STRANGER

^Thank you for the feedback! You know what, I'm not even gonna think about getting VS lingerie anymore! I'd rather save up the money and get one expensive set from Agent Provocateur!

05-11-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
My suggestion is to check online, too... eBay, for example... if you come to really know your size and a particular brand/designer that you enjoy.
I don't think I could get lingerie from eBay

05-11-2009
rising star

I've had lingerie from a shop on ebay before, it's not like its second hand or anything :p

My treat for the month is this set of Dita lingerie... got it today and it's seriously gorgeous

figleaves.com

05-11-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatInBoots View Post
After reading many of you ladies on here talking about/praising Victoria's Secret, I was happy to come across a page where a couple of you said you thought it was cheap quality!
I agree!
I live in Canada so we don't have VS or most of the other places you ladies spoke of (I frequent the Agent Provocateur site though...drool...) but on my last trip to Buffalo, I went into VS and was very disappointed.
SO pricey, and not the GREATEST stuff (for the price, I mean).
Our La Senza is cheaper, and has pretty much exactly the same stuff that VS has.
hahah... this is so funny. i go on these rants about how VS on this complex theoretical level represents EVERYTHING WRONG WITH AMERICA to me, and everything wrong with american attitudes about sex and women and shopping... taking something as personal and intimate as sex (which most other lingerie lines/brands handle either very delicately/romantically like stores like Journelle, or with a cheeky/campy sense of humor, like AP) and blowing it up into 10 foot airbrushed posters with totally unrealistic, unnatural, impersonal representations of sex to be plastered over billboards and every mall and city street in the country, and these stores that cheaply combine this french-boudoir-meets-trashy-strip-club aesthetic, taking random signifiers of 'sex' and mashing them together to indicate that 'this is sexy, this is quality and you NEED to BUY this to be intimate with anyone' ughhhh. it seriously sends me into these horrible feminist marxist rants about women who read Cosmo and middle america and all kind of other crap nobody really wants to hear about. i walk by the store on my way to work and see their giant posters that are currently advertising some special padded bra "increase 2 cup sizes instantly, guaranteed!!" and it makes me want to barf.

BUT in its defense, for most american women who aren't living near a major city, it's probably the only place they can get somewhat visually appealing lingerie at a somewhat reasonable price, and i'll give them some credit for being the only thing in mainstream america that even begins to mention or embrace female sexuality, even if it's in a twisted commerical way, that's totally worth something. i think it's appeal is due largely to the fact that it's convenient and while not amazing, still slightly above average, and very accessible here.

/feminist rant

06-11-2009
tfs star

I LOVE La Senza. Their models are so much sexier and original than VS. Plus it's reasonaby priced... and did I mention sexy ?

front row

i will go with intimissimi

06-11-2009
backstage pass

quick question for everyone: how do you STORE your lingerie?? i have a super tiny apartment in nyc and it's all just bunched up all messy in a drawer and if anyone has any tips on where/how you keep your bras and underwear/panties/pants/knickers/whatever-you-call-them that would be awesome!! i have no idea of better ways or places to keep all of it.... sigh

07-11-2009
front row

For my lingerie and socks, I bought one of those mesh shoe-storage things that you hang on your closet door. It's perfect for sorting out my underwear, bras, socks, and boyfriend's boxers.

Terrible picture, sorry:

I bought it at the container store for $12 on sale, I think? I'm sure there are cheaper ones around, too! It's not the most photogenic means of storing lingerie by any stretch, but it's really convenient and saves a ton of space in my drawers, while keeping everything organized.

Power to the 99%

I have these canvas bins in the top drawer of my chest of drawers ... the first one has knickers :p, second one socks, third one hosiery/tights. The socks I match, the rest just gets tossed in when it's clean & dry. I don't have a lot of patience for folding laundry, and I'm not attached to the drawer looking particularly beautiful when I open it, so it works for me ...

Oh, bras hang on hooks on the back of my bathroom door :p

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 07-11-2009 at 11:44 PM.
08-11-2009
tfs star

Hanging bras, of course!! How brilliant.

By the way, I was just looking through the lingerie section of H&M...I like the colors! Havent tried any on.

Does anyone have experience with their bras?

08-11-2009
backstage pass

^^ i've found h+m bras to be good and a few of my favourites are from there, but i wear triangle/fabric/lace/stretchy ones mostly, so there's not a lot to go wrong in terms of padding, wiring, and support. h+m's lingerie is about the same as their clothes: adorable, cheap, decent enoguh, and will start to fall apart as soon as it starts to look out of style, so more or less is worth what you pay for. i think i just really like spending money on really beautiful quality lingerie though so tend to avoid it.

08-11-2009
once more, with feeling

I agree with you all that Victoria Secret is okay, but not great quality. You can find better made things at a lower price in the department store. But I do like their cotton Pink bras that go down to small sizes and have minimal padding (enough for no show through).

My favorite for undies would be Eberjey. I like their boyshorts for wearing under skirts and dresses. Their bras are okay, too, but I can't get used to wearing wireless.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant View Post
i will go with intimissimi
totally agreed! i always find something whenever i enter their store and its not even that pricey.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lingerie, thread