How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-12-2010
backstage pass

I'm a big fan of long skirts, but then again I'm 5'10" and a slim pear-shape so I find them quite flattering as they skim over my hips/thighs a bit and just show off my height and thinner upper body... I find emphasizing a high waist (belt or a fitted jacket) and wearing very high heels helps make them more flattering.

me:

14-12-2010
Power to the 99%

^ Very cute ballets! I like the way you make a long skirt edgy I can't really claim to be doing that :p That's OK ... my tongue usually lends an edge

21-03-2011
V.I.P.

A long black skirt will be my ultimate must-have for Spring/Summer.

I think it's safe to say this sheer one by Givenchy is the most beautiful maxi skirt ever created:

I also like this one by Lover and the one by Elizabeth And James:

LuisaViaRoma, NAP, Revolve

I'd love to be able to find one that is flattering on me even when wearing flat boots and sandals. I also really like the idea of sheer maxi skirts but I can't imagine being able wear one without looking like a crazy exhibitionist. Maybe paired with a long loose sweater that will cover my butt? I don't know. But I do like that there seem to be a million possibilities how to wear long skirts. You can make it look romantic, gothic, edgy, peasant, hobo, etc. Plus I hope I'll be more motivated to finally wear some accessories because I think they're essential in making a plain black skirt work.

Last edited by Psylocke; 21-03-2011 at 02:58 AM.
22-03-2011
unspecified

Why do I have the feeling we are narrowing down to only tight long skirts?
I believe that see-through long skirts are what most people that aren't so sure about long skirts go for because it makes a very different composition! It reads as whatever you wear underneath, but softer, wich is very cool.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
25-03-2011
unspecified

You could trythe what can I wear it with thread.

07-04-2011
windowshopping

Strangely, I don't think I've seen anyone around here with a long skirt in years. I have a few myself that I haven't worn in forever. Maybe I will now :p

08-04-2011
unspecified

I think that as any trend, the problem is that it is not about long skirts, but rather constricted to only one shape, one fabric, etc.. There isn't a wide range.
2008/2010: #30416 #2095 #31953

Last edited by Petit Lucille; 08-04-2011 at 06:45 AM.
08-04-2011
Power to the 99%

^ I have a number of them, and lots of variety ... if you like them & keep your eyes peeled, you can find a bunch of different things.

15-04-2011
front row

I have a problem with long skirts in that they are so excessively long. so if you're short like me (5'2) then it pretty much doesn't work. especially if there is a particular shape to the skirt which means that anything that is loosey goosey is too bad. i love the acne pearl skirt. but i figured i have to wear a 6inch heel just to make it graze the ground. or else it just puddles and the beautiful, slightly fishtail shape is lost.

how do you deal? or is this just a shorties problem?

15-04-2011
fashion icon

I love long skirts and I'm only 5"5. Some people might think that because of my hight I shouldn't wear them but I happen to like them. As someone who tends to dress on the more modest yet fashionable side long skirts work quite well for me. I like that I can wear a long skirt and then to balance it out a shirt which is more figure hugging. Plus, in the summer they are just so comfortable! Also, for those who are complaining about the length, why not have a tailor adjust it to the right length for your body?

backstage pass

i too, am a fan of the long (and also midi!) skirts, theyre great for when im struggling to put an outfit together before work, i can always rely on a long skirt. my fave one is one i bought from topshop last year, black, sheer, glittery with a tiny mini skirt underneath. i love wearing long skirts, i love the silhouette they give someone.

16-04-2011
front row

5'5" isn't really short, though.

Obviously some things, like the acne skirt, aren't going to work on a shorter frame, because the thing that makes it interesting will be lost (unless you can find a good tailor or make your own, I guess). But there are long skirts out there that are made for shorter frames. You just need to find places that sell smaller sizes.

16-04-2011
V.I.P.

Via beach-bliss.tumblr

I LOVE THIS

front row

altering doesn't always work. in fact, i would say unless the shape is a loose one or a column skirt, altering almost always change the shape of the skirt.

19-04-2011
windowshopping

I think to wear in these kind of skirts, you must be skinny and tall, or you will be look like in a big bag and your height will visually shorter. For me, though I appreciate these, but I dare not try them.

Last edited by esperanza1988; 19-04-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
long, skirt