How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-08-2010
Fat Karl

I just discovered this thread and I have to say that I'm in love with it.

As I've gotten older (I'm only 20, but considering I've been interested in fashion since I was 14, maybe "matured" is a better word), I've realized that my taste has become more and more minimal. At 14, when asked who my favorite designers were, I would tell you without any reservation, John Galliano and Alexander McQueen. Now, while I still love both those designers, I can say with full confidence that my favorite designer is Raf Simons for Jil Sander. And that transition is fascinating to me.

And that aesthetic shift has started to effect my desire to dress in a more minimal way. To refine my wardrobe, whittle it down to the essentials and become a much smarter, much more informed shopper. I've never been a great "shopper" for myself. What I buy one day, I'll end up hating months later.

I've gotten to the point were I tend to only wear black and white. And with it currently being summer, I find myself wearing almost daily a pair of black shorts (previously pants that have been cut off at a mid-thigh length), a white t-shirt and my grey jellies. I've gone through phases of wearing more trendier clothes I can say that I honestly looked, and in hindsight, felt, ridiculous.

I'm quite tall (6'2") and I am very skinny (by no choice of my own, I eat like a maniac), and I've come to the conclusion that I simply cannot wear anything that is the least bit fussy. I feel stupid and self conscious if I do.

So, I'm moving back to New York in two days, and I feel like it is the perfect time to sort of reinvent my wardrobe. For my birthday last month I bought myself a beautiful black trench coat from Banana Republic. It's a size L, when I normally wear a size S, however, the slightly over-sized quality it has on me works really well. I'm very pleased with it. I'm considering it my first purchase towards a new, better, more minimal wardrobe.

I don't look good in color, either, so I want to stick to blacks, whites, greys, navies and khakis.

All in all, I'm very excited to develop a minimal wardrobe for myself. I want to look for pieces that are of good quality. Pieces that are well designed, but like I mentioned before, are free of any fussy, unnecessary elements...which is what I consider to be real minimalism. The absolute essential.

In my opinion, minimalism doesn't have to be plain (although often times it works out that way...beautifully, I might add). Essential is really the key word. Minimalism, I would say, is about deleting and removing everything until what you have left is absolutely essential.

23-08-2010
front row

diorcouture,
I totally agree with you. Especially the last part about minimalism and removing items.

Last years I wanted to buy as much as I could, different pieces, different colours and different labels.

Now I'm turning 18, I think I should remove so much from my wardrobe.
(Which I didn't before because it was all so expensive)

Just buy some great (longterm) basic pieces with nice accesoires and a few colours and there is your minimalist wardrobe.

24-08-2010
scenester

I've always tried to stick to this principle of paring down to essentials, though this hasn't stopped my closet from burgeoning - I would like to own fewer things, but the heart always finds more things to want! Even if it's my 11th perfect white t-shirt.

24-08-2010
oh! darling

I have a hard time making an outfit minimalist without looking "boring" or plain.

I have a lovely white tee that I pair with black skinnies, and I throw on a green necklace for a pop of color (an Angelina Jolie inspiration!), but I don't know if that comes off as minimal.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
I have a hard time making an outfit minimalist without looking "boring" or plain.

I have a lovely white tee that I pair with black skinnies, and I throw on a green necklace for a pop of color (an Angelina Jolie inspiration!), but I don't know if that comes off as minimal.
I think there's no need to be so hard on ourselves for putting on a necklace Getting dressed shouldn't be so agonising!

If you're not going for the monastic, austere look, by all means, wear the necklace. Personally, I think a white tee and black skinnes shound lovely on their own, especially since you say the white tee is lovely. There's a lot to be said for plain-ness - it's a confident, carefree look.

If it's a cool day, a plain scarf is a great accessory that doesn't take away from the minimal look.

26-08-2010
oh! darling

^

As far as minimalism goes, I feel like I lack something in my outfits to make them fashion forward if I am trying to be minimalistic as well.

Actually, yesterday was quite nice.
I wore a nice white tee and a high-waisted navy blue skirt and black flats. For a little flair, I wore my green necklace. Since it ties in the back with a ribbon, I put my hair up in a pony tail so that people could see the ribbon in the back.

I could say that was going in a minimalistic direction with the necklace being the focal point of the outfit, but I feel as if it doesn't come off as minimalistic. I might have to scope the internet for my answer..

oh! darling

This article has some decent pointers. Probably goes without saying, but I'm posting them anyway.

Quote:
Why Simple Fashion is So Hot

Effortless, unfussy, unadorned, and powerfully understated, stark minimalist style is one of few fashion trends that works for virtually all women of any age, shape, or social occupation. There's something extremely confident and uncomplicated about this unpretentious look, which showcases a woman's shape, face, and personality, without any need to distract the eye with ornamental embellishments or patterns.

How to Wear the Stark Minimalist Fashion Trend:
Balance the Look with a Small Pop of Color

Keeping your outfit plain and simple also leaves room to draw attention to a pop of deeply saturated color in a shoe or handbag, such as burgundy or purple.

Wear a small dose of shimmer with one simple silver bangle, diamond studs, or a metallic accessory to add a little twinkle and life to your look.

Pull Yourself Together, Beautiful

In fact, if you're going to go minimalist, you absolutely must take the time to do your hair - even if it's just pulling your long hair back into a chic pony tail or chignon. And makeup is a must in order to keep you looking polished and prevent you from looking like a severely ascetic schoolmarm. Be trend-right on the beauty front by wearing a pretty pewter or gray eye shadow or a beautiful berry-colored or dark lipstick, both of which are also extremely popular this season.
womensfashion.suite101.com

oh! darling

I kind of like this: http://www.bemorewithless.com/2010/m...hion-projects/

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
I like reading about projects like this, but I lack the patience to see them through. Moreover, after several closet clear outs, I don't have all that much left. Are you going to have a go with this?

07-09-2010
scenester

I love the idea of a minimalism and have been trying to build a strong wardrobe for the past few years.

Like Shadow advised a few years back on the first page, the thing that is most important is to only buy things that fit you perfectly. Everything else will inevitably be worn a few times at most and admired in your closet until you realise you cannot wear it anymore. I've come to realize not only the importance of cut, but also of the fabric quality and stitching. The quality of an item may seem irrelivent, but if you really want a minimalistic wardrobe, it means having less pieces that will last.

I'm not a minimalist in full, but I believe in having only one of everything. As far as shoes, that means one good pair of flats, one good pair of sneakers, one good pair of sandals, one good pair of boots, and two good pairs of heels [as they differ more]. Each pair of shoes, though, I went to painstaking extremes to find exactly what I was looking for in every single detail. This goes for other things, as well. I don't own anything, even basics, in doubles.

There have to be exceptions, though. An entirely minimalistic wardrobe is boring without a few key pieces. I have a lot of vintage hand-me-downs from my [thankfully] fashion conscious hippie mother and her friends. This includes most of my jewelry. I think it adds just enough of a different touch that it's not boring everyday.

07-09-2010
oh! darling

Quote:
Are you going to have a go with this?
Probably not. Although I love the idea of the minimalist look style-wise, I could never live under the restraints of a minimalist lifestyle. (It said I would have to clean out my iTunes.)

Quote:
I'm not a minimalist in full, but I believe in having only one of everything. As far as shoes, that means one good pair of flats, one good pair of sneakers, one good pair of sandals, one good pair of boots, and two good pairs of heels [as they differ more]. Each pair of shoes, though, I went to painstaking extremes to find exactly what I was looking for in every single detail. This goes for other things, as well. I don't own anything, even basics, in doubles.
I like your take on minimalism.

front row

Some recent pics from vogue.com re: minimalism. The last photo is from the F/W 2011 Calvin Klein collection.

20-11-2011
front row

I thought that this was a great list of clothes to start with!

From Garance Dore, blog by the same name:

Quote:
From Kaysi : Garance!!! Do you have any advice for creating a minimalist, functional, and fabulous wardrobe?

Mmmm… Kaysi, even if I dream of having a minimalist, functional, and fabulous wardrobe, most mornings I find myself buried under a mountain of clothes – outfits literally falling on top of me – I can never find anything and everything’s lost.

I usually just end up wearing the last thing I bought (right now, a pair of grey jeans and Fratelli Rossetti shoes) just because they’re on top of the pile.

That said, I could never dare to imagine just how happy I would be if every time I opened my closet, I found the following clothes, folded neatly and organized by color:

• Black cashmere turtlenecks. I still haven’t found the perfect one.
• Grey v-neck cashmere sweaters – Bompard makes the deepest Vs – I just love them.
• Silk shirts from Equipment, of course.
• Church’s flats. Three pairs.
• One pair of sublime very high heels, black, like the Pigalles by Louboutin – Yeah, only one! If they’re that sublime, they’ll be enough!
• Grey skinny jeans. White skinny jeans. Helmut Lang, the denim is the thinnest I’ve ever felt.
• One pair of boyfriend jeans.
• Two blazers, one black, the other marine blue. Stella.
• A straight-cut skirt, Céline.
• A Sarti scarf, light as a cloud. I’ll take a quick picture for you as I’m wearing one right now.
• A dress, Alaïa or Roland Mouret. Never goes out of style.
• A big coat, camel or grey.
• And a military parka – light and long.

And I’d go wild with accessories. A hat. Red socks. A pair of amazing sunglasses. A purse to die for. Bright nail-polish. Cause minimalistic is good but still, some girls are just born with glitter in their veins… ;-)

Don’t you think ?

Ok, so that was my version of functional and fabulous… What is yours ?

Translation : Tim Sullivan

21-11-2011
Once King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MussedPorcelain View Post
zombie thread is old of course but I cannot totally agree with this statement.

A minimalist wardrobe naturally gives way to a uniform. Dressing in that would require doubles. It would be tragic to not own a few pairs of something that fits perfectly, I am running to the problem now as some pants of mine are aging and are in need of replacements.

I could be wrong if the idea is to dress minimalist (own lots of non-fuss) but not move over into the lifestyle arena.

22-11-2011
backstage pass

This thread is very interesting!

I'm the type of person who is always attracted to sparkly, bright, shiny and embellished objects - but have somehow ended up with a minimalist style. I have no idea how the two went together!

For me minimalism is all about getting to know your body and your colors. Because it is when you understand why a certain cut or color of a t-shirt compliments you and another doesn't that you can work the minimalist look.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
minimalist, wardrobe