How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-06-2006
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Dont' get confused between minimalism and basics though. There is a difference between having a strong, well crafted collection of basics and enjoying the aesthetics and principles of minimalism. I suggest you look for posts by a member named Astrid (it might even be Astrid21) who was an old member of here and a staunch minimalist. Beautiful
It's Astrid21. Lovely sense of style! But it isn't really minimalistic, she's too fond of the Japanese...

While I agree that there's a difference between good basics and minimalism, don't forget that a good collection of solid basics is an excellent backdrop for any kind of style!

And like others have said, fit and quality is essential when it comes to minimalism. There are no frills and details that will hide any flaws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshells
I sometimes fear that if something is too interesting, it's too dated.
I say you should avoid huge seasonal trends, but not be afraid of quirkier stuff; it's much, much harder (sometimes impossible) to date...

14-06-2006
Naturellement pulpeuse

Minimalists just have a bare steel clothing rail instead...

The amusing linguistic possibilities of the word 'wardrobe' aside, Muji sells some interesting 'minimalist' clothes.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats
Minimalists just have a bare steel clothing rail instead...

The amusing linguistic possibilities of the word 'wardrobe' aside, Muji sells some interesting 'minimalist' clothes.
nhahahahhaha ....

Frozen irony.

I really like the thought of a minimalist wardrobe.. I'm very drawn to clean lines in dark colours..

15-06-2006
front row

This thread seems to have fractured into two different meanings: Minimalist clothing and minimalist wardrobes. I was kind of thinking of the latter, but I do approve of simple clothing too. I guess it is best when you have a smaller selection of tops in rotation. I don't particularly want to be the person who noticably wears the same shirt twice a week.

To me, clean clothing is great, but I also enjoy a little discreet accessory. Too much makes me dizzy though. My favorite "necklace" in the cooler months is a scarf. I don't like too many small trinkets.

I was looking through my clothes and picking out my favorites. I've realized my base colors are navy blue, black and grey, with gold accessories. To me, that's so highly sensual, but probably incredible dull to others. Flashiness just doesn't do it for me.

Honestly though, I think the rise in minimalism with me sprang out of an increase for the clean freak syndrome. Right now my room is a mess, but it makes me dizzy. I think I lost my mind when my mom's stuff started spilling out all over the rest of the house. My family has a string of pack-ratism flowing through it. And though I've tried to escape that demented thinking, I think I just picked up some of my own. But atleast it's more practicle.

16-06-2006
backstage pass

I don't think its dull at all whiteshells!!! I usually find myself attracted to navy, black and grey clothing (especially pale grey!) - and I generally pair these with gold too. Although I like to put on layers of chains - I don't know if you prefer simpler accessories....it sounds like we have fairly similar taste, I think.

Go clean your room! Haha.

16-06-2006
V.I.P.

I think great inspiration for minimalism is Carolyn Bessette Kennedy

basic colours (black, white, brown, grey, navy), simple shapes, statement accessories (black Birkin, ...)
a pair of blue jeans or black trousers
a white shirt, a black tee, a tank top, a black turtleneck
a pair of black moccasins, a pair of black/beige pumps

I love her style she was a great inspiration to me.

(simplycarolyn)

16-06-2006
front row

I agree completely. Her styling was perfect and so it did not date. Check her website, it is full of photos.

16-06-2006
V.I.P.

I love architecture, so my tastes really stem from that and from Asian architecture, which focuses heavily on minimalism. However, I don't think I could stand wearing plain clothing. I like the idea of clothes that aren't plain, but will be stylish forever, but it's tough finding those pieces. While I don't own any designer clothes right now, Prada perfectly suits my style for the moment, because while most of the clothing is plain, some pieces are quirky and interesting. I think that my style is more 'modern' than minimalist, though.

16-06-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
welcome whiteshells......
i like the way you are thinking about your wardrobe...

excellent thought process...
I agree...nice to read good prose, and good ideas.

16-06-2006
V.I.P.

I've learnt so much from this thread ... I can really relate to what you are saying whiteshells...

On the subject of basics .... what should be in every minimalists wardrobe, from shoes to clothing to bags to jewellery?

16-06-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushka_BeLLa
On the subject of basics .... what should be in every minimalists wardrobe, from shoes to clothing to bags to jewellery?
I kind of tried to ask this but got few replies. Personally I think pants are a good place to begin. As long as you know what kind of wardrobe you want. Pants can be worn a few times a week. To many people, black pants are necessary. I also think jeans and another pair of pants are good. Personally I don't really like brown, so I'll go for dark gray pants.

I was digging through my clothes lastnight and found that I have a few too many skirts. Why do I have so many? I rarely go anywhere that requires a skirt. haha I decided that I don't need a black skirt. You don't need to be boring and cliche to have everything match. Just be mindful of what you already have. So I picked out my gray pleated skirt to keep. I love this skirt. It's perpetually perfect. I got it at Target last fall I think, and it always looks brand new. I've never ever thought to iron it.

I think everything should be atleast slightly planned ahead. Remember what things you already have when you go shopping. My plan is to have a black bag and a cream bag. Black is an easy color to imagine in my head, so I'll bring the cream with me and see if it matches the tops I want to buy. If they don't match, they're no good to me. So basically, wear the most ambiguous items in your wardrobe when you're shopping.

I can't really answer for what the most important things in your closet are, since I'm really not that experienced. I think the best advice is to go with your heart. I need my flats. But I don't love all flats, I love my flats. And they happen to go with almost everything for some reason. They're not black, they're a white/dark brown tweed from Target (Target is the only shop in my small city btw hahah.) and they always have class. I can't really explain right now why some things are great to have. They just are.

Another necessity for me is my gold little pinecone necklace. haha I've decided on gold as my color, rather than silver. It brings richness to my blue/gray pallet. I think you need jewelry that really means something to you, and then you'll hopefully put it on most.

16-06-2006
V.I.P.

^ Such a good point to stay in touch with what's already IN your wardrobe!

I gravitate towards the same types of items and will wind up with the same things over and over if I'm not careful :p
Looking for great quality and caring for them properly will insure they last a long time.
I HATE replacing classic items, so I invest up front to save time & hassle later.
Regardless of how much money you have to spend, get the best quality YOU can afford and it will pay off!

I would think the keys to minimalism are buying separates & knowing your body type.
The types of items you get would be driven by your frame and personal preference, whether it be skirts/pants, dressy/casual, etc.
Think about the types of things you do daily and events you may have coming up for the year and fill in the gaps keeping in mind what you already own.
Even though, it's minimalist, it's still personal so it's hard to guage what EVERY minimalist wardrobe must have.
One minimalist may hate skirts while the other hates pants.

As far as colors, sticking to neutrals is wise.
Then you can pop in color as desired from season to season.
I also consider red to be neutral. It goes with EVERYthing!
I'd highly recommend a classic red handbag as a go-to handbag. Mine's fabulous
Latte/nude/cognac shades also go with everything

16-06-2006
front row

^ I totally know what you mean about color. But I think yellow is my new red. :p I still love red though. Last winter I had a red bag and red gloves. ... But one day this girl pointed to my gloves and said, "Are those your Cruella Deville gloves?" haha. Uhh I started getting curious about other colors too at that point.

Last edited by whiteshells; 16-06-2006 at 04:33 PM.
16-06-2006
V.I.P.

Oh.. yellow's great too!!

One of my girlfriend's had a mustard colored bag that was adorable and went with everything! She described it as 'it doesn't go with anything, therefore, it goes with everything'. I loved that

Cruella Deville

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
minimalist, wardrobe