How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-12-2008
Power to the 99%

I'm still cleaning out my old magazines, and today came across an article about the Simmons' house/lifestyle/etc. from when Russell & Kimora were still together. I found it quite obscene ... minimalism makes all kinds of sense.

22-12-2008
backstage pass

I think minimalism makes sense when you need versatility and elegant simplicity.. I love it to be honest and like fellow posters, i too dress it up with awesome shoes or/and jewelry. I'm not a solid minimalist but I do use it as an influence.

rising star

I always wonder whether minimalism is :

-having few but wonderful clothes (and by wonderful, I don't mean expansive : I mean, wonderful for you, for your eyes.)

-having few clothes that are basic and go with everything ... It's wise but sometimes boring.

Anyway, I'm 20 and though minimalism is my dream - and not only for clothes - I am very far from it.

26-12-2008
Power to the 99%

^ Surely it's never wise to be boring

27-12-2008
In Bloom

Whenever I post outfits in WAYWT I always get compliments for being minimalistic...it's hard to be anything else when you don't have any money I might dress minimalistic, but I'm not too sure that my wardrobe actually is minimalistic.

we were in love

28-12-2008
backstage pass

To me, modern examples of minimalist style are Carolyn Bessette Kennedy and Laura Bennett (from Project Runway). Both women wore simple shapes, a very limited color palette and were impeccably groomed at all times. Starting this year, I'm going to really try to invest in more expensive pieces that will hold up but also look timelessly chic. In looking at old photos of CBK, I noticed she rotated the same shoes and coats but looked effortlessly fresh.

29-12-2008
In Bloom

I think you have to be exceptionally beautiful or charismatic for minimalism not to get very dull.

we were in love

10-02-2009
trendsetter

^I have to agree. Or exceptionally graceful. I wanted to share what I see as a glowing example of modern minimalism:

hel-looks.com

Everything about this outfit is minimalist, from the hair and makeup, color palette, clean, subdued lines, to the use of only functional accessories (ie. scarf and mittens for warmth, bag to carry belongings). What prevents the outfit from being dull is the subtle play on detail and proportion, like the short, bell-bottom sleeves and tassels on the scarf. And I also like that the outfit is carefully crafted; it's not minimalism in the sense of, "Oh, I just threw this on." Effortless can be overrated at times...

Last edited by Belowen; 12-04-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: please see tfs guidelines | picture credits (no links)
10-02-2009
front row

I would like to believe I'm a minimalist at heart - relaxed simplifications (denim pants, cotton tops) seem to so effortless and elegant, not to mention timeless.

Though really, I think in the mist of it all, it's how you craft your outfit to the tiny details, textures and color. It's all the basics, just enhanced with how you put x and y together. GasolineRainbow posted a perfect example of the modern day minimalist - classy but not bleak. It's an outfit you look back by, and say "Thank god I didn't fall for those trends!" :p

11-02-2009
rising star

Yes, the picture posted by GasolineRainbow is really great. I think that often Scandinavian people seem to have a wonderful style with few clothes, but very beautiful ones. Those are clothes that don't need accessories to be fun and chic.

11-02-2009
tfs star

i'd recommend the novel "pattern recognition" by william gibson for a good take on fashion minimalism

11-02-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasolineRainbow View Post
^I have to agree. Or exceptionally graceful. I wanted to share what I see as a glowing example of modern minimalism:

www.hel-looks.com
modern minimalism ?! where the hell did you get that expression ?! that doesn't make sense at all !!!
pleas please please just use minimalism or postminimalism in the future .... but NO modern minimalism .... that means absolutely nothing ! especially since minimalism is postmodern (to some people at least) ..... !

i swear it hurts my eyes to read this ....

11-02-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
modern minimalism ?! where the hell did you get that expression ?! that doesn't make sense at all !!!
pleas please please just use minimalism or postminimalism in the future .... but NO modern minimalism .... that means absolutely nothing ! especially since minimalism is postmodern (to some people at least) ..... !

i swear it hurts my eyes to read this ....
I will refrain from using the term in the future. No worries, I have an elaborate background in cultural studies myself, so I can see where your irritation comes from. Let me explain what I meant by "that which shall never be uttered again".

People define minimalism in different ways, and I think the various posts on this thread prove that. I wasn't referring to to minimalism in an academic context, as in art history, for example. I was thinking more along the lines of 90's sartorial minimalism, which was very strict and somber. The minimalism that has gained ground in this decade (hence my use of the word 'modern') has more flourishes to it, as in the Finnish girl's outfit. If I had written postminimalism, not everyone would be familiar with what that meant. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 11-02-2009 at 02:03 PM.
11-02-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Having I suppose a far less elaborate background (a minimalist background if you will), I wasn't offended in the very least :p

12-04-2009
trendsetter

I'm going to venture further into the path of sacrilege :p, and proclaim the following outfit as "trendy minimalism".

stylecritics.com Diane Kruger

Ignore the questionable belt for a moment. Everything about the outfit is trendy, from the bag and glasses, grommet ballet flats, to the slouchy vest thingie and the...is that a leggings/jumpsuit hybrid?! Yet the overall effect is somehow clean, simple, streamlined.

When I think of minimalism, it's usually quite classic and 'timeless'. Her outfit might look dated in a couple of seasons, but is no less minimalist for it. I'm particularly drawn to this version of 'leggings as pants', which I usually dislike. It's unique and attractive.

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 12-04-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
minimalist, wardrobe