How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-04-2009
backstage pass

^ I don't know about that particular example. I can think of some examples in my head where Diane perfected minimalism with Jil Sander and with either Giambattista Valli or Louis Vuitton (can't remember which).

That particular outfit looks like Marni gone wrong. I hate whatever is going on with the black bodysuit/leggings look with the bag added. It cheapens the bag, I'm afraid.

12-04-2009
turn and face the strange

I think GasolineRainbow's sacrilege term works quite well.. I love Diane, but I would have prefered that outfit with different sunglasses, belt and bag

13-04-2009
rising star

I wonder if a minimalist wardrobe is :

a wardrobe with few items, but beautiful ones (whatever those items are)

or a wardrobe with everything in blue, grey, black or white ...

I dream of dresses with flowers, and colourful clothes, but I don't want to have a lot of things. Because I wear purple or green, should I say "Well, I can't be a minimalist" ? ;-))

I say this because I do think that minimalism, in clothes, in more of a behaviour than in colours or styles of clothes. I think that somebody wearing many colours, but having only 15 clothes that he/she loves and wears - all of them ! - is more minimalist than somebody who wears only black, white, grey and boring colours but have a dressing full of clothes that he/she doesn't wear, for some of them ...

What do you think ?

13-04-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwennaliann View Post
I wonder if a minimalist wardrobe is :

a wardrobe with few items, but beautiful ones (whatever those items are)

or a wardrobe with everything in blue, grey, black or white ...

I dream of dresses with flowers, and colourful clothes, but I don't want to have a lot of things. Because I wear purple or green, should I say "Well, I can't be a minimalist" ? ;-))

I say this because I do think that minimalism, in clothes, in more of a behaviour than in colours or styles of clothes. I think that somebody wearing many colours, but having only 15 clothes that he/she loves and wears - all of them ! - is more minimalist than somebody who wears only black, white, grey and boring colours but have a dressing full of clothes that he/she doesn't wear, for some of them ...

What do you think ?
Someone earlier in this thread differentiated between Minimalist clothing and Minimalist wardrobes. But even defining each of those is a personal matter, in my opinion.

To me, minimalist pieces are classic, typically of high quality. I think of them as blank by themselves, needing an overall concept to bring life to them and a dazzling personality/personal touch. True, they can be boring and two people can wear the same white tee with one being classic and the other being boring. That's why I think it takes a special kind of person to pull off minimalist outfits, someone very aware of themselves and comfortable with their style to add character. Unfortunately, the stunningly pretty or the naturally quirky people have a leg up on this one. I do feel like it's easier to pull off a simple dress when you already look like a model. On the other hand, too many people rely on this.

Minimalist wardrobes, in my opinion, can contain some more outrageous pieces, but I think everything is well-chosen with a lot of thought put into it. Therefore, you are always excited to wear what you have in your wardrobe, and don't feel like you have to settle for a lesser piece just to get your money's worth in wear. In other cases, yes it can be a collection of very simple clothing, ignoring obvious trends with multiples in things that suit the wearer perfectly.

It has only occurred to me fairly recently that very little of what I own fits me well. I have put a halt on purchases and if I have any negative feelings about something, even if I can't pinpoint it, I don't purchase the item.

13-04-2009
Power to the 99%

I think you can definitely do color + minimalism. Some recent Jil Sander collections have been very colorful ...

13-04-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I think you can definitely do color + minimalism. Some recent Jil Sander collections have been very colorful ...
Yes, let me emphasize the aforementioned Diane Kruger outfit for back-up.

Source: instyle.com

I'd like to differentiate between minimalism and boring. Minimalistic, for me is a compliment. A failed attempt or at it or a lack of trying is boring.

13-04-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I love exotic skins like croc ... they're a great way for minimalist accessories to be interesting.

13-04-2009
rising star

For me too, minimalism is good and different from boredom. But often, minimalist things tend to be with "non-colours" : grey, white, black ...
I like your answers ! Thank you.

19-04-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwennaliann View Post
Because I wear purple or green, should I say "Well, I can't be a minimalist" ? ;-))
This has already been sufficiently answered, but let me have my say. As you mentioned, one concept of minimalism is maintaining a minimal amount of items to choose from, but there is also the separate idea of a minimalist style.

Minimalism requires a deduction of superfluous elements, that is often misinterpreted. In the case of style, it can be misinterpreted as requiring an absence of color and prints. But to fit in with minimalism, the use of color and prints must be functional: either utilitarian (ex. wearing bright colors is advisable when bike-riding) or aesthetic (ex. prints can visually lengthen or balance out your proportions). I would say that color and prints usually serve an aesthetic function, more than anything.

Minimalism does not necessarily lack intricacy or complexity; it is only unnecessary elements that are cast aside. Hemingway wrote some long, complex novels (except The Old Man and the Sea:p), but he is noted for his minimalism in writing. Frills are not minimalistic, but one has to define what frills are, and that's where your own freedom of expression comes in. This is the best way I can explain what frills (or "superfluous elements") mean to me: think of the way Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera might sing a simple, pretty melody; their voices gush out, swoop up and down, swing left and right. Theirs is a maximalist singing style, all frills.

...but I can be frilly too. I enjoy excess at times.

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 19-04-2009 at 05:15 PM.
20-04-2009
V.I.P.

i'm gonna start this soon.

i will be throwing out most of my clothes.

i will be just making them now

i've been thinking actually of what you're writing now, gasolinerainbow
i want less lines
just shape

18-05-2009
windowshopping

Bump, because I'm interested in getting more opinions on minimalism. I'm a student (so I have very limited funds) and I always gravitate towards a certain, small set of my clothes, so I feel like minimalism is the way to go.

So, what are some great tips for going minimalist?

18-05-2009
Power to the 99%

^ You may be interested in our 4-5 piece French wardrobe thread, which is all about just that ...

15-07-2009
windowshopping

Hi Everyone

I agree with Gasoline Rainbow that minimalist style is a different thing from having a minimalist wardrobe. For me minimalism in style is about:

1. Monochromatic colour in striking neutrals- blacks , greys, whites etc.
2. Texture e.g. black leather cuffs on a black gabardione jacket
3. Sculptural and architectural shapes
4. Accessories that are like minature works of modern art.
4. Bold statement peices worn on a plain background e.g,. a bold necklace on a black shift dress
5. Bold slashes of colour e.g hot pink belt or red shoes
6. Minimalist polished make-up with bright red lips etc. or a sever sculptural hairstyle
7. A tendancy for synthetic amd modern fabrics
8. Exquisite detailing such as pintucking, pleating and folding.

I used to dress in this style -but I got bored. Also if you like to flatter the feminine figure it may not be the best choice.

Just my opinion......

17-07-2009
turn and face the strange

^ Great points! I think there's ways to flatter the feminine figure with minimalist style, though.. such as simple sheath dresses, but the first styles that comes to mind are loose, flowy fabrics in almost boxy shapes.

17-07-2009
V.I.P.

i think makeup can also be, lack of makeup
or ,as if you're wearing nothing

in a lot of shows like at jil sander they use a 'transparent gel' to make the skin shine clean. and the rest it's just cover up to even skin tone and lips are soft and pale, sometimes almost the same tone as the skin

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
minimalist, wardrobe