How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
24-09-2004
  1
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
I noticed yesterday my coworker had brown shoes on with dark navy pants and a light blue top. She didn't have any brown acessories on so I told her that I thought black shoes would have looked better. Now she's blasting me on another fashion forum for not having any taste. Was I way off base here or what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown_Shoes.JPG (29.0 KB, 67 views)

  Reply With Quote
 
24-09-2004
  2
& b
 
Alejandro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: MIAMI
Gender: homme
Posts: 14,092
I think it's alright to wear brown with navy and light blue

__________________
Homosexuality is God's way of insuring that the truly gifted aren't burdened with children.
  Reply With Quote
24-09-2004
  3
Soviet Camaro
 
tangerine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Barbary Coast
Gender: homme
Posts: 16,459
First, welcome!
Second, it seems to me that she is being oversensitive to your suggestion. Just because she doesn't agree doesn't mean she has to flame you about it.
On the other hand, when you offer (unsolicited?) comments about someone's clothing choices, that is a risk you run.
I love that you included a pic. In the pic, though, the pants look black and I have to admit that the look works for me. If I saw the real navy color I might not like it. In general, I agree that black would be better with navy pants and the blue shirt.
That's my two cents!

__________________
after all, it was you and me
  Reply With Quote
24-09-2004
  4
front row
 
purreow*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: US
Gender: femme
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardSS@Sep 24 2004, 02:12 PM
I noticed yesterday my coworker had brown shoes on with dark navy pants and a light blue top. She didn't have any brown acessories on so I told her that I thought black shoes would have looked better. Now she's blasting me on another fashion forum for not having any taste. Was I way off base here or what?
[snapback]374715[/snapback]
Omg - did you take the pic?? Is that her?? Hahahaha....

Okay, seriously though... I would think that black would work better with the blues, but different people, different tastes. Both black and brown are considered neutrals and should work with most things, but I've always been the kind of person that reserves brown shoes for warmer-hued outfits.

__________________
twitter.com/1201am
  Reply With Quote
24-09-2004
  5
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
Thank you for the warm welcome!
I thought she was being overly sensitive as well and she even called me a jerk in her post on the other forum. I didn't comment in a rude way, I just thought that since she didn't have any other brown accesories on, that black shoes would have been a better look. The look was still good, just not complete in my opinion without something else brown.
The pants do look very dark in the picture and they're not quite that dark. They actually have very thin pin stripes that are a lighter blue which matches her shirt. She had jewerly on that was blue as well so I just didn't understand how brown tied in to everything.
Thanks a lot for your opinion!


Quote:
Originally posted by tangerine@Sep 24 2004, 01:36 PM
First, welcome!
Second, it seems to me that she is being oversensitive to your suggestion. Just because she doesn't agree doesn't mean she has to flame you about it.
On the other hand, when you offer (unsolicited?) comments about someone's clothing choices, that is a risk you run.
I love that you included a pic. In the pic, though, the pants look black and I have to admit that the look works for me. If I saw the real navy color I might not like it. In general, I agree that black would be better with navy pants and the blue shirt.
That's my two cents!

[snapback]374733[/snapback]

  Reply With Quote
24-09-2004
  6
Soviet Camaro
 
tangerine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Barbary Coast
Gender: homme
Posts: 16,459
Well, if she wants a fight, keep posting pics and descriptions of her outfits and we will dissect her in detail, then you will have lots of ammunition!

We do love to give our opinions here!

__________________
after all, it was you and me
  Reply With Quote
24-09-2004
  7
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
Yes, well...I took the picture initially because I wanted to show my friend later that night and see what he thought. Once she started being rude on the other forum and she told me that I wasn't allowed to post a reply on there, I decided it was fine to put it up and see what some other people thought.

I completely agree with your opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by purreow*@Sep 24 2004, 01:53 PM
Omg - did you take the pic?? Is that her?? Hahahaha....

Okay, seriously though... I would think that black would work better with the blues, but different people, different tastes. Both black and brown are considered neutrals and should work with most things, but I've always been the kind of person that reserves brown shoes for warmer-hued outfits.
[snapback]374741[/snapback]

  Reply With Quote
24-09-2004
  8
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
Thanks for the support.
It was frustrating to me that just because I'm a heterosexual guy, she dismissed me as having no taste.
Quote:
Originally posted by tangerine@Sep 24 2004, 02:25 PM
Well, if she wants a fight, keep posting pics and descriptions of her outfits and we will dissect her in detail, then you will have lots of ammunition!

We do love to give our opinions here!
[snapback]374772[/snapback]

  Reply With Quote
24-09-2004
  9
V.I.P.
 
TheSoCalledPrep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,307
To be honest, I think it's her business what colors she wears. I would be mighty pissed if someone 'suggested' a color combination to me.

  Reply With Quote
24-09-2004
  10
front row
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 365
If the pants were navy she shouldn't wear black shoes. Navy and black look horrible together in my opinion, the equal of black and brown. But, if they were black or a lighter blue, black would have been very appropriate.

  Reply With Quote
25-09-2004
  11
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Sep 24 2004, 07:10 PM
To be honest, I think it's her business what colors she wears. I would be mighty pissed if someone 'suggested' a color combination to me.
[snapback]374944[/snapback]
Obviously some people are not secure enough to handle a little constructive criticism. There's nothing to get pissed off about.

  Reply With Quote
26-09-2004
  12
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally posted by RichardSS@Sep 25 2004, 01:46 PM
Obviously some people are not secure enough to handle a little constructive criticism. There's nothing to get pissed off about.
[snapback]375655[/snapback]
It kind of depends on the situation, how it came up, wtc. My brother, for example, is a very intelligent guy but can be very obtuse sometimes. He tends to have good taste, but I am nearly positive that he would come off as an utter jerk if he were to give his 'advice' on someone's outfit, however correct he may have been. My friend Chris, on the other hand, could give the same person advice about the same thing, but phrase it differently and make it a very nice comment. It's all in how you make the other person feel. If you make the person feel threatened in some way about his/her choice or taste, s/he is more likely to lash out at you in return for what you tohught was friendly advice. Making the person feel good, on the other hand, can make the criticism more acceptable and even appreciated.

For example, if you were to say, "You know, your pants don't quite match your shoes. You probably should have worn black with those colors or added another brown accessory," the advise would be taken in a negative light because the person would perceive it as a criticism of his/her judgement or taste rather than advice. By saying, "Hey, I never would have thought to pair blue clothes with brown shoes. You know what would look great along with that look? A brown handbag" (or something to that effect--approaching it in a positive way), you make the other person feel good because they came up with something new while still adding your two cents. You're still running a risk because she might be extra-sensitive or it still might come off wrong, but it's certainly nicer and less accusatory. My friend Chris once said something like, "You know what would look great with that jacket? Orange" (or something like that, but again--in a really nice way) and it made me think about new color combinations rather than think of any criticism he might have had for my sense of style. I have no idea how you approached your co-worker, but TheSoCalledPrep probably imagined something like the first scenario, which would have offended her, and based her comment on that, so it isn't fair to say that she's insecure.

If you want to get back on good terms (you do work together, after all, and it's always good to avoid office cattiness), I suggest that you apologize to her in a way that doesn't say that you agree with her that you were wrong about the colors, but acknowledges that you're sorry that your comment came off in an offensive way. Maybe, "Look, I'm sorry I offended you with that comment on your clothing. I didn't mean to criticize your taste, I was just trying to give some friendly feedback about your color combination since you care about how you look. You may not agree with my advice, but at least you know I'm honest about what I think." Or maybe that would offend her more. Oh, I don't know. Just ignore this last paragraph and I'll try to leave well enough alone by stopping my loooong page of advice. I hope that it was at least slightly helpful.

  Reply With Quote
26-09-2004
  13
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 718
Please excuse the typos. Also, sorry it was so long.

  Reply With Quote
26-09-2004
  14
V.I.P.
 
TheSoCalledPrep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,307
Haha, eloes... great post... and I did.

"Uhm, black shoes would go much better." would definitely make me angry as opposed to "Oooh, I would love black shoes with those pants!"

  Reply With Quote
26-09-2004
  15
Naturellement pulpeuse
 
PrinceOfCats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The 'other' bit of the south of France
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,171
Giorgio Armani approves of brown shoes with dark trousers (pants).

__________________
-Jamais fille chaste n'a lu de romans
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice or opinionsbrown, blue, pants, shoes, w or
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.