How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-08-2012
trendsetter

Fashionista-ta
I'm afraid i may have to, it's not necessarily my waist measurement though, I seem to have a hard time finding pencil skirts that don't bunch, twist, or ride up.
#problems

Also on the utilitarian side, I really want an LL Bean Baxter Parka for Winter. They're discontinued, so I've started looking on Ebay even though I won't need it until November.

askandyaboutclothes.com

Last edited by dauphine; 12-08-2012 at 02:36 PM.

22-08-2012
V.I.P.

peter pan collars and something very wednesday adams

23-08-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphine View Post
I want a pair of patent ankle strap mary janes, maybe with a small heel.
A pencil skirt - I have a hard time finding pencil skirts that fit me really well,
and a few pairs of black cigarette pants,
Maybe some cashmere or cotton cardigans (allergic to wool)
Silk day dresses

and a larger closet to hold all of it.
I'm very pear shaped (for example, at JCrew I wear a 0 on top and a 6 on bottom) so pencil skirts never fit me right. I buy all mine from JCrew and get the waist taken in. It normally costs me about $15 but in the long run it is so worth the money. Plus all my tops stay tucked in better.

My absolute favourite is their double serge wool-it's great if you have anything you want to hide because the fabric is very thick-and it just feels so nice on in the colder months.

23-08-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Fashionista-ta
I'm afraid i may have to, it's not necessarily my waist measurement though, I seem to have a hard time finding pencil skirts that don't bunch, twist, or ride up.
#problems

Also on the utilitarian side, I really want an LL Bean Baxter Parka for Winter. They're discontinued, so I've started looking on Ebay even though I won't need it until November.

askandyaboutclothes.com
Yes, it wasn't my waist measurement either in the case of these pants, it was the rise being too long. I have no idea what the issue is with the pencil skirts, just saying that a tailor can likely fix it ... You just need to go to a store with a tailor, find a skirt you otherwise like that has the problem, and ask to speak with the tailor about whether it can be altered to fit properly ...

23-08-2012
V.I.P.

^i'm currently wearing a The Row pencil skirt with a very high rise. it runs a bit big so the top of it is 2 inches + above my belly button. it doesnt look so bad -because i am wearing a very fitted top. i guess i have to live with it. i wont bother getting a tailor to mess with it - could throw off the structure of it.

i am currently needing something oxblood coloured for fall. i dont think i own anything oxblood. could go well with the blacks and greys in my wardrobe.

i'm consider some more burgundy coloured pants from banana republic.

what i'd really like is an oxblood coloured bag - havent found one in my price/quality range yet.

Power to the 99%

^ If the rise on a pair of slacks is too long, you get really unattractive bagging and bunching of the extra fabric I was amazed how little fabric the tailor was going to remove to take care of the problem. What would be really helpful here is a picture of me in the pants with the tailor's pins in them, but I don't have one :p

31-08-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
needing something oxblood coloured for fall. i dont think i own anything oxblood. could go well with the blacks and greys in my wardrobe.
I am thinking the exact same! I'm currently eyeing this cardigan from AllSaints:

AllSaints.com

They have a gorgeous oxblood leather jacket as well, but I'm in need of a new down puffer this year (for those very wet/cold Vancouver days) so that will have to be my outerwear splurge of the season, unfortunately.

I'm looking for some interesting jeans/skinny pants to add something different to all the black/grey sweaters I wear through the fall, and also a new pair of casual booties-these are at the top of my list:

Shopbop.com

31-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
peter pan collars and something very wednesday adams
Me too Any advice on the perfect detachable collar? TopShop's collars are so overpriced for the quality; I'm not sure where else to find them

01-09-2012
trendsetter

^ Maybe you would find something on Etsy.

I have all my must haves for upcoming season in the closet already, suppose I don't need anymore shopping. Most of them are from the previous seasons though.
My staple pieces will be:

- black leather jacket

- black leather skirt

- black faux leather leggings

- black classic trench-like woolen coat

- black chelsea boots

- something burgundy-coloured (I have this new Adidas Originals pullover but it runs pretty oversized - 'sweatshirt-y' on me, so I don't know if I will wear it for other occasions then at home/leisure time. Got a couple of other, more formal items in that shade though)

- structured top in white

- neutral pullover, preferably thin but warm (I like the mixes of wool/silk/cashmere the most)
Speaking of those I need a perfect grey sweater for which I am searching for years, not successful.

And Alexa bag, Hermes CDC cuff and Triwa watch as always, adding a thin choker necklace.
Also lately I am obsessing over this Michael Kors watch, can't get it out of my mind :

asos

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
06-09-2012
backstage pass

- Leather leggings
- Leather jacket (both are likely to be fake because I am poor :/)
- Fur vest (again, probably faux)
- A black structured jacket
- Things that are black. I never buy black things, and I need more of them.
- Printed pants
- Something leopard
- Wide waist belt

I love this Nina Ricci dress. I'd totally get it if I could afford it.

style.com

07-09-2012
trendsetter

Augh I need to make a real list. I am actually so bad at shopping ahead for a new season.
I usually just wear tights under all my heavier dresses and throw a cardigan over it. I feel so weird making a list because I never end up getting everything on it that I 'need' but I had a coupon for H&M to use over the weekend, and ended up not getting anything at all, because I totally blanked on what would be useful to buy now and save for fall/winter.

08-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
I usually just wear tights under all my heavier dresses and throw a cardigan over it. I feel so weird making a list because I never end up getting everything on it that I 'need' but I had a coupon for H&M to use over the weekend, and ended up not getting anything at all, because I totally blanked on what would be useful to buy now and save for fall/winter.
i also just wear tights + dresses + cardigans at work. i usually only wear pants one day a week.

you can get another H&M coupon by signing up for their email list with a new email address.

trendsetter

That never occurred to me! I will sign up with my work email.

09-09-2012
V.I.P.

RICK OWENS

Grey Yak Blend Knit Beanie

ssense.com
maje fur parka

maje.com

triwa greystone

sofielinneass.blogg.se

backstage pass

Quote:
Augh I need to make a real list. I am actually so bad at shopping ahead for a new season.
Yeahhhh, I may make a list but that really doesn't mean I will get the things on it. I'm kinda terrible at 1. shopping for an upcoming season; 2. looking for specific things when I'm shopping and not getting distracted by something I don't need; and 3. buying things that are new and unusual for me.

HOWEVER. This year I am determined to get something leather, and there are these nice-looking "coated" jeans at Target that look leather-y, so I really want to get those. However, they are $27.99 and that makes me kind of suspicious as to how comfortable they will be. Definitely got to try them on and dance around in the fitting room to make sure they aren't too uncomfortable.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
f or w, musthaves, personal